Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by woodr.. » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Avoid Linux_Unleashed (published by Sams).

The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.

mark

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Adam J. Thornt » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>It claims that linux is a preemptive multitasking operating system

You mean it *isn't*?  Could have fooled me.

Adam
--

"Double integral is also the shape of lovers curled asleep" : Pynchon
64,928 | TEAM OS/2 |   "Ich habe einen Bierbauch!"   |  Linux  | Fnord

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Wayne Rober » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Avoid Linux_Unleashed (published by Sams).

>The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
>does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
>version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
>user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
>that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.

yea, its a history book.  It claims that linux is a preemptive multitasking
operating system and its out of date on the XFree86 support of diamond hardware,
which it does now support.

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by E.H. Terwiel (Er » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Avoid Linux_Unleashed (published by Sams).
>The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
>does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
>version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
>user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
>that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.
>mark

Well, I think any book on LINUX MUST be out of date.  on being 'in
date', you can only go by the internet..
'flat-out-wrong' is worse.
Erik

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Lord Rave » Sun, 16 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>Avoid Linux_Unleashed (published by Sams).
>>The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
>>does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
>>version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
>>user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
>>that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.

Well, i don't know about flat out wrong, but it is crap. I bought it a
couple of weeks ago, and the only useful thing is the CD. It has those
helpful, insightful entrys like:

NIS stands for Network Information System.
NFS stands for Network file system.

That's it! i mean, you have a huge book, at least describe thier purpose,
and basics of setting it up!

I was really dissappointed in this book. It'd be good for a beginner or
single user, but as a more network-oriented user, I find it useless.

I totally concur: Linux Unleashed is crap.

Are there any good linux manuals out there? I saw Using Linux. Is it any
good?
--
I will not be filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am not a
number, I am a free man! - The Prisoner

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Dane Jasp » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
: >does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
: >version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
: >user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
: >that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.

: yea, its a history book.  It claims that linux is a preemptive multitasking
: operating system and its out of date on the XFree86 support of diamond hardware,
: which it does now support.

Great tutorials for lots of neat stuff like motif and perl though..

Dj

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by John Herm » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Avoid Linux_Unleashed (published by Sams).
>The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
>does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
>version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
>user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
>that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.
>mark

I will admit that Linux Unleashed does have a couple of flaws, but the book is
definately a great starting place.  I would rather have d/led the HOWTO docs,
but all and all I am satisfied with the book.  A friend of mine bought the
plug and play linux from Walnut Creek weeks for me and he still isn't up and
running, where I am up, have already recompiled my kernel and done other
interesting things that the book explained well.  Sorry you don't like it.

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by AMIR NIKPAY LASHKARIA » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: I totally concur: Linux Unleashed is crap.

: Are there any good linux manuals out there? I saw Using Linux. Is it any
: good?

I bought Running Linux by Matt Welsh, it didn't help me much. It tries
to teach you too many things too fast and too unorganized.

It says in the back cover, that "This book can make you a Linux
power user."  How can a 570 page book do that?!  I should have known
better and not spent CDN$35 on that.

|  Amir K Nikpay

------------------------------------l|-----MWMWMW-----\/\/\/----||--------

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Robert Brockw » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: yea, its a history book.  It claims that linux is a preemptive multitasking
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: operating system and its out of date on the XFree86 support of diamond hardware,
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: which it does now support.

Linux is, and has always been a preemptive multitasking system.
This is one of the things that makes it superior to MS-Dog and Windoze.
        -Robert

                   WWW: http://student.uq.edu.au/~ec531667
                   snail mail: never mind.
Computers: Can't live with them, can't play Doom without them.

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Rui Pedro Bernardi » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: Avoid Linux_Unleashed (published by Sams).
: The information in the book is not only out of date, it is flat-out wrong: it
: does not correctly describe any version of Linux and does not agree with the
: version (Slackware 2.2.0) which is distributed.  Rather than a one-volume
: user's guide, I'm stuck with a 1000+ page $50 paperweight.  I'm so disappointed
: that I am never going to buy another Sams book again.

These Sams guys really stink. I just bought a "Teach yourself C++" and it
*really* stinks:
        - Almost *ALL* examples are wrong. The funny thing is that they have
          these litle "Bug buster" exercises at the end of each chapter and
          most of them have LESS errors then the ones use as examples.
        - They say "No previous programming experience required"... give me
          a break. I it wasn't for my previous (and unfortunate, as C++ is
          concerned) experience in C, I wouldn't make it to the second chapter.
        - The author likes cats...

Well... dont buy it. Avoid Sams.

Regards

--
+---------------------------------+-------------------------------+
| Rui Pedro Bernardino            | Tel. +351 34 383089           |

+---------------------------------+-------------------------------+

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Jim William » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Other Sams books seem to have bugs too. I happened to just read the first
>two chapters of "Shell Programming in 14 days" at my school library. It
>sucks! I spotted more than 10 errors in the examples and a lot of typos.
>You can tell there are errors even if you know nothing in shell programming.

I gather that Sams hasn't gotten any better over the years then.  I was
rather disappointed with some C books a few years ago and don't even
bother to look at their books anymore.

As far as buying Linux specific books, it seems to me that the best
course is to buy within the community.  If you can't find the authors
* about on the net then the book probably isn't worth buying...

--
Jim Williams.

Find a Linux User Group near you:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Unix and Windows are common nouns.

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Andy Lindem » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

On the discussion of Linux books, I'm new to having my own
linux box, my only unix experience is with shell accounts
and some shell programming....  Anyway, I don't know many of
the various commands and utilities to help adminning my
machine. I did buy the Linux Unleashed with the intent of
buying a Unix book for all the "real" unix/linux knowhow...
(this was after spending an hour trying to decide if I
should shell out $50 for that book, and I agree, looking at
it, it does provide really little content for being 1,400+
pages!  Although the stuff on perl, motif etc will probably
be helpful in the future...) So my question is: what
recommendations do you guys have on a unix book that has
much of the relevent stuff for linux.  (and some of the
things I'm looking for are really simple, like seeing how
much my partitions are being used etc...  this isn't covered
in linux unleashed!) Thanks, Andy

(oh, one of the books I was looking at a lot was Unix
unleashed again by Sams... anybody want to compare this to
something better????)
--

Andy Lindeman

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Mark Komarins » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: >Other Sams books seem to have bugs too. I happened to just read the first
: >two chapters of "Shell Programming in 14 days" at my school library. It
: >sucks! I spotted more than 10 errors in the examples and a lot of typos.
: >You can tell there are errors even if you know nothing in shell programming.

: I gather that Sams hasn't gotten any better over the years then.  I was
: rather disappointed with some C books a few years ago and don't even
: bother to look at their books anymore.

: As far as buying Linux specific books, it seems to me that the best
: course is to buy within the community.  If you can't find the authors
:* about on the net then the book probably isn't worth buying...

Guess I better post more often then *grin*.
(No, I didn't write the SAMS book, you won't find it out for a few months
yet)

--

"You can do anything you want until someone complains.  Then you're screwed."
-Heard in reference to the FCC.

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Jim William » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I think the obvious...

   Running Linux by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufman
   Published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
   ISBN 1-56592-100-3

Aside from the fact that it's a good book, I see Matt Welsh posting on
this newgroup.  (If I paid more attention I think I'd also notice Lar
Kaufman...)

--

http://www.tiac.net/users/williams/lugnuts/

Unix and Windows are common nouns.

Linux Unleashed--don't buy it

Post by Jim William » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: As far as buying Linux specific books, it seems to me that the best
>: course is to buy within the community.  If you can't find the authors
>:* about on the net then the book probably isn't worth buying...

>Guess I better post more often then *grin*.
>(No, I didn't write the SAMS book, you won't find it out for a few months
>yet)

>--

Are you planning on just leaving me* for a few months yet???