Help on using new modules 1.2.8 with kernel 1.2.9

Help on using new modules 1.2.8 with kernel 1.2.9

Post by Daniel Anthony Sim » Thu, 08 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Hi I have downloaded kernel version 1.2.9 and the modules 1.2.8.
The modules readme talks about applying a patch to kernel 1.2.8, but is
this needed for 1.2.9?

There is not a lot of documnetation of configuring the kernel and there is
sone talk of not configuring the kernel to do some of the things that the
modules can do. Could someone please tell me where I can find docs on the
details of this stuff? Specifically, :

1. Do new kernels come with modules or do you have to download themn
   seperately?
2. What modules should I use as opposed to having it built into the
   kernel?
3. Do I need to apply that patch that comes with the noew modules?

THanks for the help!

-Dan SImon

Help on using new modules 1.2.8 with kernel 1.2.9

Post by Bjorn Ekwa » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi I have downloaded kernel version 1.2.9 and the modules 1.2.8.
> The modules readme talks about applying a patch to kernel 1.2.8, but is
> this needed for 1.2.9?

The "vital" patch is included into 1.2.9 with regards to a potential Oops
in "linux/kernel/module.c".  The part that patches "linux/drivers/net/ppp.c"
is not included into 1.2.9.

If you want to try the "kerneld" functionality, you will have to apply
the separate kerneld patch in "kerneld.intended_for_1.3" by doing:
        cd /usr/src/linux # or wherever you keep the linux sources
        patch -p1 < the_kerneld_patch_wherever_you_put_it

        then make a new kernel as described in /usr/src/linux/README

Quote:> There is not a lot of documnetation of configuring the kernel and there is
> sone talk of not configuring the kernel to do some of the things that the
> modules can do. Could someone please tell me where I can find docs on the
> details of this stuff? Specifically, :
> 1. Do new kernels come with modules or do you have to download themn
>    seperately?

Quite a lot of the drivers and almost all file systems in the kernel are
prepared for being loadable modules. If you answer "n" to the questions
in "make config" for all file systems except the one you are using for
your root file system (and the /proc fs), and answer "n" to all net drivers,
but enable CONFIG_NET, CONFIG_INET and CONFIG_NETDEVICES, almost
all drivers will be compiled as loadable modules when you do:
        make modules
        make modules_install
        depmod -a

Read more about this in the file "README.modules" in the linux sources.

Quote:> 2. What modules should I use as opposed to having it built into the
>    kernel?

It's up to you... But you will definitely need a driver for your
root disk and a driver for the file system on the root partition.
The "kerneld" makes the kernel look like as if you had built all
the rest of the drivers into the kernel while compiling it, even
the iBCS and ftape modules (if you have them)...
You could also do: "find . -name '*.c' -print | xargs grep MODULE"

Quote:> 3. Do I need to apply that patch that comes with the noew modules?

Except the "vital" patch; no, unless you want to try out "kerneld"...

Quote:> THanks for the help!

> -Dan SImon

1. Using old kernel modules under a new kernel

Hi

I would like to know if it would be possible to use a kernel 'module'
compiled from a previous version of Linux and load it on system with a newer
kernel version.
Specifically, I have problems using the commercial DirecPC drivers supplied
by Helius software since those are built for RedHat 6.0 systems using kernel
version 2.2.5-*whatever... I'm currently running Slackware 7.0 with kernel
version 2.4.2 and I dislike the idea of stepping down my kernel just to use
those drivers. I am aware that one should find the sources of those modules,
rebuild, and link it to the current kernel tree to be able to use it under
the newer kernel. But that statement is next to impossible!
Any ideas, tricks on manipulating binary kernel modules so that it'll be
usable enough on my system?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas A. Anderson
bash# segmentation fault
           core dumped...
bash#

2. Pascal compiler and Xwho deamon.

3. Kerneld Compilation Problem - No Modules are load after using the new kernel

4. Netscape Client says "stalled"

5. can't probe ppp module in kernel 2.2.2.5-15 using loadable module

6. ld: fatal error

7. HELP! Can't write to disk unless root! Desperate!

8. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

9. Help - Installing module for new kernel

10. HELP: old modules and new kernel don't match !

11. new kernel OK but what about system.map, kernel.h and module-info