Innd newbie question

Post by Niko Salmine » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:15:46

Greetings,

I ran into some problems while configuring the innd news server on my
Mandrake 8.0. The server starts up ok and I added some newsgroups with the
ctlinnd utility, but when I try to access the server using a mail client,
the server asks me to authenticate.

This would be fine, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my primary
account (or any other for that matter, including root). Are the mail
accounts different from the unix accounts? If so, how do I create them?

Another question: Is there an easy way to synchronize two news servers?

Thanks in advance,
-Niko

Innd newbie question

Post by Rasmus B?g Hanse » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:30:05

> I ran into some problems while configuring the innd news server on my
> Mandrake 8.0. The server starts up ok and I added some newsgroups with the
> ctlinnd utility, but when I try to access the server using a mail client,
> the server asks me to authenticate.

> This would be fine, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my primary
> account (or any other for that matter, including root). Are the mail
> accounts different from the unix accounts? If so, how do I create them?

Read the man page for readers.conf - it is described here how you can
use different hooks to auth programs.

Quote:> Another question: Is there an easy way to synchronize two news servers?

You have to put one server in xrefslave mode and let them run together
for some time - then the article numbers will be the same. It's in the
INN FAQ .

Rasmus

--
-- [ Rasmus 'M?ffe' B?g Hansen ] ---------------------------------------
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign

1. Newbie - innd problem

RedHat 5.1

I'm trying to configure innd, but there is a problem that I cannot
solve.
Startinnfeed exits with the following messages in log:
----------
/usr/lib/news/bin/startinnfeed: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, RLIM_INFINITY):

Operation not permitted
/usr/lib/news/bin/startinnfeed: execve: No such file or directory
----------

Does anyone know what's appening?

--

2. Konsole crash at libc-start.c:129

3. Newbie - innd problem...

4. Newbie: Segmentation fault with seekg()

5. Newbie news with INND

6. NFS timeouts require reboot

7. Newbie: How to set up innd on RedHat 5.2

8. 3.2-STABLE, TCP Wrappers, X11Forwarding

9. InterNetNews(innd) Question

10. Quick question about innd

11. innd question

12. innd security question