RedHat PPP 'reinstalling' under Control Panel-package management options

RedHat PPP 'reinstalling' under Control Panel-package management options

Post by John Kenned » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

I've installed RedHat 4.0 and proceeded to configure it for use as a web
server on a 28k line using the Control Panel.

I had problems getting ppp to stay connected and eventually I decided to
'verify' ppp's files using Control Panel's Package Management options.

It appeared that a couple of files were bad or missing so I leaped to
the conclusion that I should 'uninstall' PPP and then reinstall all of
it.

Unfortunately when I click on 'available' in Package Management I get a
message of 'RPMs now available in /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS...

I'm lost.  I've checked FAQs and docs but nothing seems to directly
address this situation.

What I'm looking for is this...

Do I need to completely reinstall the whole Redhat system...or...can I
just reinstall the PPP.2.2.0f-2 file set???

And if the later option is the thing to do...how do I do it.
( and...is it possible to do it from Contro Panel??)

Thanks for your help.

John Kennedy

RedHat PPP 'reinstalling' under Control Panel-package management options

Post by Jonathan Hor » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I was confused by this a few days ago myself. Be sure that your CD-ROM is
mounted first! If you need more info, I may be able to help through email.

Jon

[...]

1. PPP doesnt always dial out using RedHat's Networking Control Panel

Hi, I am a new Red Hat 5.0 user. I love it and have had no problems. I
am encountering an intermittent problem dialing out with PPP using Red
Hat's  Network Configuration in the Control Panel.

Here's what happens: I booted up my PC this morning and when to activate
my PPP connection, which works fine on other occasions. The TR light on
my Hayes Accura came on but the modem did not dial. I shut off the modem
and restartd it. Nothing. So I rebooted. This time I dialed out great.
Even deactivated and activated my PPP connection several times
successfully.

I reboot again. This time I duplicate the problem -- it won't dial out.
So I reboot again. Works fine. I am writing to you now after this.

I noticed something in the messages that I receive on bootup. It doesnt
wind up being recorded in the dmesg file, but there's a line that says:

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysint: /dev/cua0 Permission denied

that appears. I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I would like
to track down why I can sometimes dial out with PPP and other times not.

Any help much appreciated. Please email me as well.

Gary Nielson
Charlotte NC

2. Iomega Zip drive & RH6.1 nightmare

3. FreeVSD (yes that's a 'V') control panel under FreeBSD

4. KDE 2 and Redhat 7

5. X? - Control Panel / management Package

6. Linux vs SCO Open Server

7. I NEED Control Panel (but don't have RedHat)

8. hotJava and Linux

9. A getopt package that handles '+' options and renames (long)

10. '-i' option for 'cp' and 'mv'

11. PPP / getting Network Config in Control Panel, RedHat 4.1

12. PPP 'passive' option

13. PPP 'unknown option 4' error