Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

Post by Exit » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:12:57

Hello,

I just recently installed RedHat Linux 7.2 on a brand new Dell 8250
which includes a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics Card.  No problem with the
installation but when I try to start the X server it crashes.  7.2
bundles XFree86 4.1.0-3 which I'm assuming doesn't support my graphics
card since it's a year and a half older than the card.  A couple of
questions then:  Does anyone know if a newer version of XFree supports
this particular card?   Does anyone know where I can find rpms for newer
versions of XFree86?  Is there any restrictions on what versions of
XFree86 I can run with the 2.4.7 kernal?   If my card isn't supported by
any version of XFree86 is there some way I can use some sort of  generic
setting?  I don't really care about 3D, accelerated graphics at this
point, I just want to get something up and running.  Thanks and sorry
for rambling!

-Exits

Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 15:39:46

Quote:> Hello,

> I just recently installed RedHat Linux 7.2 on a brand new Dell 8250
> which includes a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics Card.  No problem with the
> installation but when I try to start the X server it crashes.  7.2
> bundles XFree86 4.1.0-3 which I'm assuming doesn't support my graphics
> card since it's a year and a half older than the card.  A couple of
> questions then:  Does anyone know if a newer version of XFree supports
> this particular card?   Does anyone know where I can find rpms for newer
> versions of XFree86?  Is there any restrictions on what versions of
> XFree86 I can run with the 2.4.7 kernal?   If my card isn't supported by
> any version of XFree86 is there some way I can use some sort of  generic
> setting?  I don't really care about 3D, accelerated graphics at this
> point, I just want to get something up and running.  Thanks and sorry
> for rambling!

Do *ALL* the RedHat updates, which include a kernel update to 2.4.18 and
significant updates to XFree86. You may also need to download the SRPM for
nvidia specific drivers from www.nvidia.org and recompile them for your
particular kernel.

Post by petri timone » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 20:00:15

 XFree86 I can run with the 2.4.7 kernal?   If my card isn't supported by
Quote:> any version of XFree86 is there some way I can use some sort of  generic
> setting?  I don't really care about 3D, accelerated graphics at this
> point, I just want to get something up and running.  Thanks and sorry

you can also use "vesa" driver, but i recomend nvidia's own drivers and
newer kernel

Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

Post by Lin?nu » Mon, 13 Jan 2003 01:57:24

While watching the eternal hourglass, Exits assayed this pronouncement:

Quote:> Hello,

> I just recently installed RedHat Linux 7.2 on a brand new Dell 8250
> which includes a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics Card.  No problem with the
> installation but when I try to start the X server it crashes.

Go here:  http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_ia32_1.0-4191

Download these two packages:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.ta...

and

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191...

For each of these, follow the directions -- one must be built before
the other.

Unpack each one using a command like "tar xzf xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.tar.gz",
cd to each directory, and do the makes (as root).

I've never had luck with the RPM files.

Chris

--
Can Microsoft out-run Open Office?

Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

Post by Exit » Mon, 13 Jan 2003 02:46:47

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I've finally got the machine
connected to the network and am doing an up2date -u.  Thanks.

-exits

>>Hello,

>>I just recently installed RedHat Linux 7.2 on a brand new Dell 8250
>>which includes a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics Card.  No problem with the
>>installation but when I try to start the X server it crashes.  7.2
>>bundles XFree86 4.1.0-3 which I'm assuming doesn't support my graphics
>>card since it's a year and a half older than the card.  A couple of
>>questions then:  Does anyone know if a newer version of XFree supports
>>this particular card?   Does anyone know where I can find rpms for newer
>>versions of XFree86?  Is there any restrictions on what versions of
>>XFree86 I can run with the 2.4.7 kernal?   If my card isn't supported by
>>any version of XFree86 is there some way I can use some sort of  generic
>>setting?  I don't really care about 3D, accelerated graphics at this
>>point, I just want to get something up and running.  Thanks and sorry
>>for rambling!

>Do *ALL* the RedHat updates, which include a kernel update to 2.4.18 and
>significant updates to XFree86. You may also need to download the SRPM for
>nvidia specific drivers from www.nvidia.org and recompile them for your
>particular kernel.

1. Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

[...]

2. DMP on V880 , pleae advice

3. Dual headed with Nvidia GeForce4 (MX420) AGP + Nvidia TNT2 PCI

4. English is a Monopoly

5. problems with Red Hat 8 and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

6. what is the TICK in solaris 7?

7. NVidia GeForce4 - XF86 problems

8. Needing advice from developers...

9. Xtasy GeForce4 MX 440 video card need a little help

10. nvidia GeForce & Redhat 7.2 problem

11. Radeon Video Card & RedHat 7.2

12. STB nVidia TNT Video card problems

13. Problems with grub and my nvidia video card