how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by Java Develope » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf to
boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

anyone know how do do this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by Ujwal Sathya » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf to
> boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
> boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

> anyone know how do do this?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy

Are you talking about booting into X?

You can do that by booting into run level 5. Edit /etc/inittab and
change the line:
id:3:initdefault:

id:5:initdefault:

Ujwal

how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf to
>boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
>boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

Try enabling framebuffer support in the kernel - to a first
approximation, "VESA VGA graphics console" in "Console drivers" or in
"Console drivers / Frame-buffer support" is probably what you want.
This won't work in old 2.0 kernels, though.

--

"On Usenet, pedantry is not in the service of beauty. It's not even
 in the service of truth. It's in the service of EVEN MORE PEDANTRY."

how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by Craig Kelle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> >i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf to
> >boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
> >boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

> Try enabling framebuffer support in the kernel - to a first
> approximation, "VESA VGA graphics console" in "Console drivers" or in
> "Console drivers / Frame-buffer support" is probably what you want.
> This won't work in old 2.0 kernels, though.

I think he wants to boot into [xgk]dm. (?)

Look at /etc/inittab -- the default X11 runlevel is 5:

id:5:initdefault:

how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by Colin Wats » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> >i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf to
>> >boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
>> >boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

>> Try enabling framebuffer support in the kernel - to a first
>> approximation, "VESA VGA graphics console" in "Console drivers" or in
>> "Console drivers / Frame-buffer support" is probably what you want.
>> This won't work in old 2.0 kernels, though.

>I think he wants to boot into [xgk]dm. (?)

Hmm, I thought not, because of the vga=extended reference and the fact
that Suns boot with a graphical framebuffer ... but *shrug* (s)he gets
all the solutions this way. :)

--

"Then hast thou joined the ARPANET? / Oh come to me, my bankrupt boy!
 Quick, call the NIC! Send RFCs! / He chortled in his joy." - RFC 527

how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by John » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf to
> boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
> boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

> anyone know how do do this?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I assume you're using Red Hat?  In your /etc/inittab file, change the
default runlevel from 3 (text mode) to 5 (graphical login).

id:5:initdefault:

John

how to boot in graphics mode...

Post by Java Develope » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks Colin!

To correct everyone, I "DO NOT" want to boot into X .  I already know
how to do that.  I think that your "framebuffer" method is what I am
looking for!  I will run a VMWare linux session and recompile the
kernel and see if it works...

Jon

> >i figured out recently how to add the vga=extended line in lilo.conf
> >boot with more lines of resolution...  i heard that there is a way to
> >boot up with graphics  (sorta like a Solaris server)...

> Try enabling framebuffer support in the kernel - to a first
> approximation, "VESA VGA graphics console" in "Console drivers" or in
> "Console drivers / Frame-buffer support" is probably what you want.
> This won't work in old 2.0 kernels, though.

> --
> Colin Watson

Quote:> "On Usenet, pedantry is not in the service of beauty. It's not even
>  in the service of truth. It's in the service of EVEN MORE PEDANTRY."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. problem: RH6 booting in graphics mode

Howdy,

I just did a fresh install of RedHat 6.0, and I told it to boot a
graphics mode.  Unfortunately, I must've screwed up the monitor settings
- when it brings up the GUI login, my monitor makes a nice little buz.
I can't login remotely cuz I didn't make a user account yet and default
is root cannot remotely connect.

Is there anyway to stop the boot process before it goes in to the GUI
login? Perhaps something with Lilo?

thanks,
Pete

2. How to compile part of the kernel?

3. ** Graphics mode at boot ??

4. Kernel message eth0: Transmit fail

5. Graphics mode boot up -bombed

6. NS Commerce: max virtual IPs ??

7. can i use graphic mode to install redhat but boot disk and hard drive?

8. Peformance of Solaris 10 vs 9 on Ultra 80.

9. Switching from an Xwin graphics mode to a terminal mode

10. Getting Graphic Mode and Text Mode during Startup

11. disable login either in graphic mode or text mode

12. Server CRASH when i change graphic mode - to terminal mode and viceversa

13. Difference between Installing from Ins Svr and Boot Svr?