Problems with talk/ytalk

Post by Anthony Chee-Hung Fa » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me with this problem with talk/ytalk
or at least decipher the error messages to me.

Here's what happens when I invoke talk on the system:

   [Couldn't bind to control socket : Cannot assign requested address (99)]

When someone talks to me from another machine, I get this
logged into /var/adm/messages:

   Jul  6 23:48:54 woodstock in.ntalkd[10669]: connect from xxx.xxx.xx.xxx

which seems right. But this gets logged into /var/adm/syslog too:

   Jul  6 23:49:11 woodstock talkd[10670]: recv: Connection refused

This log entry is also suspect...

   Jul  7 01:09:13 woodstock talkd[11734]: recv: Socket operation on non-socket

I'm using the 2.0.27 kernel. The original installation is from Slackware
2.0, but I have upgraded many of the libraries since. I could have put in
some incompatible library packages, but I have no clue which is the culprit.

Any ideas or solutions is much appreciated. Thanks.

-Anthony

1. Help: Problems with talk/ytalk

Hello everybody -

I'm having problems talking to people on certain machines.  My Linux box is
running 2.0.30 right now.

Here's a brief description of the problem:

1) I try to ytalk somebody on a SunOS or Solaris machine
2) Ytalk gives me strange recv() failed errors
3) Just sits there and never rings or connects

If _anybody_ has _any_ idea what's going on, please please tell me!  I've
been living with this problem for a while, and I'd like it to stop. ;-)

Please respond to me via email, since I don't read this group much.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Kumaran

2. Webcam for Linux - any recommendation?

3. "talk"/"ytalk" to Sun Solaris and AIX talk daemon

4. Crypt function in Glibc

5. Talk/Ytalk problem

6. SOCK_PACKET corruption problems in 2.0.5

7. Broken UMSDOS - please Help

8. talk/ytalk problem

9. Problem with TALK or YTALK

10. Problems with talk/talkd/ytalk