Can someone review my attempts please - to create a boot floppy to do FTP install

Can someone review my attempts please - to create a boot floppy to do FTP install

Post by Teachm » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My problem is that I have a CDROM less laptop. The pcmcia card I have is not
supported by the normal network.img. I do have a limited Linux with a driver
for my pcmcia card 8390.o pcnet_cs.o .
So these steps are my attempt to build these drivers onto a floppy so I can
use the pcmcia for an FTP install.
On the floppy there is a file called initrd.img which I believe I will need
to pull apart, replace my  8390.o and to
put in the pcnet_cs.o into the /modules directory?
Am I on the right lines here??!!

Ian Turnbull
0961 931941

Web  : www.turnbui.freeserve.co.uk

Can someone review my attempts please - to create a boot floppy to do FTP install

Post by Matthew Hal » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:35:53 -0000,

>My problem is that I have a CDROM less laptop. The pcmcia card I have is not
>supported by the normal network.img. I do have a limited Linux with a driver
>for my pcmcia card 8390.o pcnet_cs.o .
>So these steps are my attempt to build these drivers onto a floppy so I can
>use the pcmcia for an FTP install.
>On the floppy there is a file called initrd.img which I believe I will need
>to pull apart, replace my  8390.o and to
>put in the pcnet_cs.o into the /modules directory?
>Am I on the right lines here??!!

This might help:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

+  4:27pm  up 38 min,  2 users,  load average: 0.40, 0.33, 0.35 +

1. Create boot floppy for RH 5.1 (instructions, please)

I am down to my last boot floppy
on my desktop and I can't find
the instructions for creating a new
one (RH 5.1). The floppy is needed
since the desktop has NT 4.0
as the exclusive built-in boot (hey, not my choice! --
just one of the little penalties one pays
when the central computing organization
standarizes things!)
Yes, I had all the right
books, but I can't find them right now.

Thanks (with much embarassment)

john slimick

University of Pittsburgh at Bradford

2. Need network info (POP, ftp, etc)

3. Red Hat 5.2 Install (Attempt) Review.

4. DHCP and Road Runner blues

5. gdialog and others gone in 72.

6. Could someone please tell me if this is this an attempted crack ?

7. Pine with Ispell ???

8. Can't create boot floppy after package install

9. Problem creating boot floppy to install Ret Hat 6.0

10. Problem creating a boot floppy from 6.0 install program

11. Creating boot floppy from loopback fs installed Mandrake 8.2

12. After Linux install, can't boot DOS -- even from floppy !?