unresolved symbol(s) after recompiled kernel !

Post by Brion Vibbe » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>  /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/3c59x.o:unresolved symbol(s)
>  /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/xxxxxx.o:unresolved symbol(s)
>  /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/yyyyyy.o:unresolved symbol(s)
>  /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/zzzzzz.o:unresolved symbol(s)
>  /lib/modules/2.0.32/ipv4/xxxxxx.o:unresolved symbol(s)
>   ................../misc/xxxxx.0:unresolved symbol(s)

>  I also got this errors when I issue command : depmod -a

These are probably old modules left over from your previous kernel or
preinstalled with the OS. If your new kernel is sufficiently different
(especially if you chose different settings for versioning info in the
module section in the kernel configuration) then they won't match up and
you get unresolved symbols.

Remove the old modules like so:

  rm -rf /lib/modules/2.0.32

And reinstall the new ones:

  cd /usr/src/linux
  make modules_install

Now try depmod -a and see if that helped.

Also note that 2.0.32 is old and has some bugs. You should probably
upgrade to 2.0.35, go to http://www.kernel.org to get a new kernel
source package.

1. recompiling kernel keep getting unresolved symbols

I keep getting unresolved symbols in the ip_masq stuff as well as now in the
slip.o file. I am using a RH5.2 installation. I recently installed the
kernel-2.0.36-3.rpm, but this doesn't seemed to have helped, in fact, if
anything, it made matters worse. Can someone point me to a reliable set of
source files so that I can finally get the ip_masquerading to work on the
machine?

Ciao, Neil

2. X with Oak Tech VGA?

3. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

4. X on a laptop

5. unresolved symbols after kernel recompile

6. DIP and serial line speeds > 38.4K

7. unresolved symbols in modules after kernel recompile

8. Wangtek QIC controller switch settings?

9. Ver. 2.0.0 recompile on boot unresolved symbols errors

10. Recompile unresolved symbols

11. recompile of kernel leads to unresolved modules ???

12. unresolved dependencies after recompiling kernel

13. Modules, kernel 1.1.88, and unresolved symbols