nothing compiles now!

Post by Pete » Sun, 17 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I keep getting the following error everytime I try to compile:

/usr/include/bytesex.h:6:  linux/version.h: No such file or directory

This is using Slackware 3.0, is there a fix for this???

TIA

Peter.

nothing compiles now!

Post by Step.. » Mon, 18 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I keep getting the following error everytime I try to compile:
>/usr/include/bytesex.h:6:  linux/version.h: No such file or directory
>This is using Slackware 3.0, is there a fix for this???

 I am having the same problem I'm a newbie to linux, and I'm sure I'm
doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what. I have the GCC
library installed in /usr/include the files that the error messages
say aren't actually are. For example I'm trying to install Apache web
server, the Configure works just fine but when I initiate 'make' i get
the above error messages.
Quote:>TIA
>Peter.

nothing compiles now!

Post by bfrn.. » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> >I keep getting the following error everytime I try to compile:

> >/usr/include/bytesex.h:6:  linux/version.h: No such file or directory

> >This is using Slackware 3.0, is there a fix for this???

>  I am having the same problem I'm a newbie to linux, and I'm sure I'm
> doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what. I have the GCC
> library installed in /usr/include the files that the error messages
> say aren't actually are. For example I'm trying to install Apache web
> server, the Configure works just fine but when I initiate 'make' i get
> the above error messages.

> >TIA

> >Peter.

This error occurs because bytesex.h is searching for the version of your
linux kernel in /usr/include/linux/version.h and is not finding it.

Thee directory /usr/include/linux is probably a symlink.  To find out
where it points to do        ls -all /usr/include | more

/usr/src/linux/include/linux), then you probably have the source code
for the kernel.  If so then you must compile the kernel to create the
file version.h   The Kernel-HOWTO explains this process pretty well.

If you do not have the kernel source code you can either download and
compile it
                  .............or..............

you can edit /usr/include/bytesex so that it doesn't look for version.h
by removing the line that looks like #include <linux/version.h>

1. Nothing to do with Nothing

I just feal like being the origionator of another pointless thread that
just goes on and on and on  and has nothing to do with anything remotely
considerable as something worth talking about but I couldn't think of
good enough troll bait so I guess I will just have to cross my fingers
and say "This newsgroup sucks and is stupid and I hate having to read
the dumnass posts in it" and see what happens.

Or how about "Linux is better then FreeBSD", "GPL is worse then BSDL",
"RedHat gives me gas", "GNU is a communist terrorist group just waiting
to wreak havok on the whole world", "Momma didn't love me", "QPL is the
end of freedom", "KDE is an abomination and GNOME is going to save us
all".....did I leave anything out?  Oh, "My distro is longer then
yours"....thats my favorite.

With all those subjects to argue about, this thread should last till the
next millenium easily.  So, lets start some fire.

2. Sendmail vulnerabilities

3. Nothing Compiles

4. verify using shadow pwd file?

5. HELP!!! SS2-Sol 2.3 - NOTHING compiles!!!

6. Only root can start X

7. nothing compiles, include problems!!!

8. Drivers for Tekram UW-SCSI

9. Ftape Compiles and Does nothing

10. Nothing Compiles ... :-(

11. "nothing" will compile

12. Kernel compiled, but nothing change!?

13. NOTHING COMPILES