Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

Post by Mhoj » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't seem to relocate it so I'll
start a new one.

I can't get WP8 for Linux to print properly using my Epson Stylus Color
400. I've tried using drivers for Passthru Postscript as well as just
using other Epson drivers. The print doesn't come out with the desired
resolution (other than that things are fine). And, by contrast, (sorry
'bout the pun) printing from other Linux apps (eg Pine) things come out
just fine.

So, I did a search on DejaNews, found a recommendation to download the
Epson Stylus 400 driver from the Corel site. The Corel site instructs me
to download a DOS WP6 driver, unzip it, and change the name. I do all of
this, select the printer from the WP8 app and print. Now the print
resolution is fine, but the format is lost. Instead, about half of the
page is cut off and there are odd little symbols strewn liberally
throughout the text (eg, the bullets in the text have been lost and are
replaced with "1/4".)

I've probably added much extraneous information here, but I didn't know
what information someone might need to help me should they have the
time, inclination, and ability to do so. My goal is just to be able to
print documents created with WP8 with my Epson Stylus Color 400 printer.
If that means I should go through ghostscript to do it (which is what
the bulk of my research so far seemed to suggest), so be it. But, if
that's the best course of action, then a dumbed down explanation of how
to use ghostscript would be appreciated since I'm still very ignorant of
how my OS and apps talk to my printer.

Thanks for any help,
Doug

Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

Post by Rod Smi » Tue, 11 May 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't seem to relocate it so I'll
> start a new one.

> I can't get WP8 for Linux to print properly using my Epson Stylus Color
> 400. I've tried using drivers for Passthru Postscript as well as just
> using other Epson drivers. The print doesn't come out with the desired
> resolution (other than that things are fine). And, by contrast, (sorry
> 'bout the pun) printing from other Linux apps (eg Pine) things come out
> just fine.

I suggest you read my WP for Linux fonts and printers web page:

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/wpfonts.html

Quote:> So, I did a search on DejaNews, found a recommendation to download the
> Epson Stylus 400 driver from the Corel site.

The last I checked (30 seconds ago), there was no driver for the Epson
Stylus Color 400 on Corel's web site.  There's a driver for the Epson
Stylus (no color) 400, and another for the Epson Stylus Color (no 400).
Neither works reliably with the ESC 400, AFAIK.  You *MUST* use a
PostScript driver and Ghostscript to get this to work, unless there's a
driver floating around somewhere I've not heard of.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

Post by Mhoj » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

> [Posted and mailed]

> > I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't seem to relocate it so I'll
> > start a new one.

> > I can't get WP8 for Linux to print properly using my Epson Stylus Color
> > 400. I've tried using drivers for Passthru Postscript as well as just
> > using other Epson drivers. The print doesn't come out with the desired
> > resolution (other than that things are fine). And, by contrast, (sorry
> > 'bout the pun) printing from other Linux apps (eg Pine) things come out
> > just fine.

> I suggest you read my WP for Linux fonts and printers web page:

> http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/wpfonts.html

> > So, I did a search on DejaNews, found a recommendation to download the
> > Epson Stylus 400 driver from the Corel site.

> The last I checked (30 seconds ago), there was no driver for the Epson
> Stylus Color 400 on Corel's web site.  There's a driver for the Epson
> Stylus (no color) 400, and another for the Epson Stylus Color (no 400).
> Neither works reliably with the ESC 400, AFAIK.  You *MUST* use a
> PostScript driver and Ghostscript to get this to work, unless there's a
> driver floating around somewhere I've not heard of.

> --
> Rod Smith

> http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
> NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

Rod was absolutely right. There was not an Epson Stylus 400 driver at
the Corel site. What I ended up doing (thanks in large part to the
information provided by Rod) was the following:
1) Set WP8 to print to a disk file (that I called tempfile.dsk) using
the QMS magicolor driver. (This put the file in postscript format).
2) Downloaded the latest version of ghostscript along with fonts (I'm
not sure if this was necessary).
3) Used the printtool utility (only for RedHat?). According to that
utility, I was set up to use an Epson Stylus Color printer, but
initially it was only set up for 180/180 resolution and I set it to
360/360 resolution. (I suppose a 720/720 option would be more desirable,
but it wasn't there so I couldn't choose it.)
4) Created an executable called "printfile" that executed a command line
(this was just to save myself some typing, just entering the command
line would work the same). The command I used was:
gs -r720/720 -sDEVICE=stcolor -sOutputFile=|lpr tempdoc.dsk

That seemed to do the trick. I'm sure that those of you who actually
know what you're doing are cringing and shrieking in horror. :-) But, I
thought I'd post this so that folks who had a similar problem would have
some search engine fodder that might be of use to them.

Take care.

Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

Post by Edward Vigmon » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

> > [Posted and mailed]

> > > I saw a thread on this earlier, but I can't seem to relocate it so I'll
> > > start a new one.

> > > I can't get WP8 for Linux to print properly using my Epson Stylus Color
> > > 400. I've tried using drivers for Passthru Postscript as well as just
> > > using other Epson drivers. The print doesn't come out with the desired
> > > resolution (other than that things are fine). And, by contrast, (sorry
> > > 'bout the pun) printing from other Linux apps (eg Pine) things come out
> > > just fine.

> > I suggest you read my WP for Linux fonts and printers web page:

> > http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/wpfonts.html

> > > So, I did a search on DejaNews, found a recommendation to download the
> > > Epson Stylus 400 driver from the Corel site.

> > The last I checked (30 seconds ago), there was no driver for the Epson
> > Stylus Color 400 on Corel's web site.  There's a driver for the Epson
> > Stylus (no color) 400, and another for the Epson Stylus Color (no 400).
> > Neither works reliably with the ESC 400, AFAIK.  You *MUST* use a
> > PostScript driver and Ghostscript to get this to work, unless there's a
> > driver floating around somewhere I've not heard of.

> > --
> > Rod Smith

> > http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
> > NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

> Rod was absolutely right. There was not an Epson Stylus 400 driver at
> the Corel site. What I ended up doing (thanks in large part to the
> information provided by Rod) was the following:
> 1) Set WP8 to print to a disk file (that I called tempfile.dsk) using
> the QMS magicolor driver. (This put the file in postscript format).
> 2) Downloaded the latest version of ghostscript along with fonts (I'm
> not sure if this was necessary).
> 3) Used the printtool utility (only for RedHat?). According to that
> utility, I was set up to use an Epson Stylus Color printer, but
> initially it was only set up for 180/180 resolution and I set it to
> 360/360 resolution. (I suppose a 720/720 option would be more desirable,
> but it wasn't there so I couldn't choose it.)
> 4) Created an executable called "printfile" that executed a command line
> (this was just to save myself some typing, just entering the command
> line would work the same). The command I used was:
> gs -r720/720 -sDEVICE=stcolor -sOutputFile=|lpr tempdoc.dsk

> That seemed to do the trick. I'm sure that those of you who actually
> know what you're doing are cringing and shrieking in horror. :-) But, I
> thought I'd post this so that folks who had a similar problem would have
> some search engine fodder that might be of use to them.

You can also supposedly use the epson stylus color 400 driver for
Wordperfect 6 which is located on the epson site I do believe. I foundd
a pointer to this on the Corel site. It's a self extracting DOS file. I
downloaded it but have not got around to installing it si I am not
desperate for the colour capapbility.

--
Ed Vigmond
Institut de Genie Biomedical, Universite de Montreal

Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

>> > The last I checked (30 seconds ago), there was no driver for the Epson
>> > Stylus Color 400 on Corel's web site.  There's a driver for the Epson
>> > Stylus (no color) 400, and another for the Epson Stylus Color (no 400).
>> > Neither works reliably with the ESC 400, AFAIK.
> You can also supposedly use the epson stylus color 400 driver for
> Wordperfect 6 which is located on the epson site I do believe.

Are you positive this is for the Epson Stylus Color 400?  As I wrote in a
message you quoted, I can't see such a thing on Corel's site, though I do
see drivers for printers with similar names.  Those drivers DO NOT work
with my ESC 400.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me

1. Epson Stylus Color 400 Problems

Hello

I am new to Linux having recently purchased the Suse Linux Office Suite
99.

The basix linux OS is Suse 5.3. I have a Epson Stylus Color 400, I am
unable to get anything other than rubbish out of it, loads of ascii
chracters rather than text.

Has anyone had similar problems, if so please tell me the work around or
is there a driver file available for this printer?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Shallcross

2. ANN: bohtml 1.10 Released

3. Printing with an Epson Stylus Color 400

4. * Would Linux PPP work with Solaris x86 ?

5. EPSON Stylus Color 400 Drivers

6. X-windows Help Needed( In Despair!)

7. Epson Stylus 400 and gs5.10 stc.upp driver

8. More questions about RPC....

9. Epson Stylus 400 question

10. Printer Problem: Epson Colour Stylus 400

11. Epson Stylus Color 400 & SO5.0

12. EPSON Stylus Color 400

13. Epson Stylus Color 400 printer installation