Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by synecdoc » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 05:21:28



Hey everyone.  I really want to try Linux on my computer.  I'm
currently running Win2K, but am really thinking of making the switch.
I've got a few questions though.

First, I currently am running a 32gigabyte hard drive, as one large
partition.  I also own a 8 gig drive that I am not using.  I have a
great deal many files on the large hard drive (i've converted my cd
collection to mp3 format) and I really don't want to back it all up if
it is avoidable at all.

Now, I was browsing around on the Internet and found a Linux version
called PhatLinux which claims to be able to install nicely on a
Windows system.  This sounds good to me, as I am really worried about
losing my files by partitioning (i've had some bad luck with that).
Should I try PhatLinux out?

A person I know from work has recommended that I install RedHat on the
second hard drive, but I can't find the jumper settings for that drive
anywhere so I may be unable to use it.

For now, I really just want to try Linux out.  I've never used it
before, and I want to see what it is like before I go ahead and take
the plunge from windows all the way into a new OS.  What would you
recommend?

Thanks very much.
David Drysdale

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 05:31:33



Quote:> Hey everyone.  I really want to try Linux on my computer.  I'm
> currently running Win2K, but am really thinking of making the switch.
> I've got a few questions though.

> First, I currently am running a 32gigabyte hard drive, as one large
> partition.  I also own a 8 gig drive that I am not using.  I have a
> great deal many files on the large hard drive (i've converted my cd
> collection to mp3 format) and I really don't want to back it all up if
> it is avoidable at all.

> Now, I was browsing around on the Internet and found a Linux version
> called PhatLinux which claims to be able to install nicely on a
> Windows system.  This sounds good to me, as I am really worried about
> losing my files by partitioning (i've had some bad luck with that).
> Should I try PhatLinux out?

Don't bother. FAT3x simply doesn't support the user/group/etc. structure
vital to Linux/UNIX file ownership, and your UNIX style OS security goes
right out the window without it.

Quote:> A person I know from work has recommended that I install RedHat on the
> second hard drive, but I can't find the jumper settings for that drive
> anywhere so I may be unable to use it.

You can't look up the part number and do a web search? What happens if you
just connect it on your secondary IDE controller with no jumpers set?
Quote:> For now, I really just want to try Linux out.  I've never used it
> before, and I want to see what it is like before I go ahead and take
> the plunge from windows all the way into a new OS.  What would you
> recommend?


 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by davide_sp.. » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 05:45:08



> Hey everyone.  I really want to try Linux on my computer.

Good. Download the "live evaluation CD" from Suse and boot with that,
you'll have a real Linux system without installing and screwing up
anything on your machine. If you like it, you can go on and install
Linux on your machine, if you don't (and I think you are not going to
like it) you have lost nothing but some time.

Davide

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Lenard Charter » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 06:29:27



> Hey everyone.  I really want to try Linux on my computer.  I'm currently
> running Win2K, but am really thinking of making the switch. I've got a
> few questions though.

> First, I currently am running a 32gigabyte hard drive, as one large
> partition.  I also own a 8 gig drive that I am not using.  I have a
> great deal many files on the large hard drive (i've converted my cd
> collection to mp3 format) and I really don't want to back it all up if
> it is avoidable at all.

> Now, I was browsing around on the Internet and found a Linux version
> called PhatLinux which claims to be able to install nicely on a Windows
> system.  This sounds good to me, as I am really worried about losing my
> files by partitioning (i've had some bad luck with that). Should I try
> PhatLinux out?

> A person I know from work has recommended that I install RedHat on the
> second hard drive, but I can't find the jumper settings for that drive
> anywhere so I may be unable to use it.

> For now, I really just want to try Linux out.  I've never used it
> before, and I want to see what it is like before I go ahead and take the
> plunge from windows all the way into a new OS.  What would you
> recommend?

> Thanks very much.
> David Drysdale

Try this Live Linux CD

http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Requires a 700MB CD

HTH

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Nick Gushlo » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 07:46:46


<snip>

Quote:> I really don't want to back it all up if it is avoidable at all.

</snip>

I run a triple boot system (linux for me, win2k for my g/f and win98 for
games) and have both the 98 and 2k partitions as fat32.  Linux won't
write to a fat32 partition but it will read one.

<snip>

Quote:> Should I try PhatLinux out?

</snip>

Don't bother with any linux on windows type distro's in my experience
they've been pretty crap.

<snip>

Quote:> A person I know from work has recommended that I install RedHat on the
> second hard drive, but I can't find the jumper settings for that drive
> anywhere so I may be unable to use it.

</snip>

Have you tried looking at the manufacturer's site?  or googling?
Without any jumpers on most HDDs will ru nas the master on the cable
they are on, so it's worth trying it.

Like others have suggested you may be best off trying a live cd version
on linux first.

HTH

  -- Nick

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:27:50




> > Hey everyone.  I really want to try Linux on my computer.  I'm currently
> > running Win2K, but am really thinking of making the switch. I've got a
> > few questions though.

> > First, I currently am running a 32gigabyte hard drive, as one large
> > partition.  I also own a 8 gig drive that I am not using.  I have a
> > great deal many files on the large hard drive (i've converted my cd
> > collection to mp3 format) and I really don't want to back it all up if
> > it is avoidable at all.

> > Now, I was browsing around on the Internet and found a Linux version
> > called PhatLinux which claims to be able to install nicely on a Windows
> > system.  This sounds good to me, as I am really worried about losing my
> > files by partitioning (i've had some bad luck with that). Should I try
> > PhatLinux out?

> > A person I know from work has recommended that I install RedHat on the
> > second hard drive, but I can't find the jumper settings for that drive
> > anywhere so I may be unable to use it.

> > For now, I really just want to try Linux out.  I've never used it
> > before, and I want to see what it is like before I go ahead and take the
> > plunge from windows all the way into a new OS.  What would you
> > recommend?

> > Thanks very much.
> > David Drysdale

> Try this Live Linux CD

> http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix/index-en.html

> Requires a 700MB CD

This link is dead....
 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by mjt » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:42:46


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1
NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message

[snip]

Quote:> Try this Live Linux CD

> http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix/index-en.html

i think you meant: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
 skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the  
 "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org

iD8DBQE9VqHGtTveLPAHcDIRArZKAJ0e0MfZs5GhgD1p3cmmbVQe8n0DhACfWlvY
AdYvfL/SCQXbf3qqJTfjpcI=
=A8Rh
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Lenard Charter » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:49:10



> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
> NotDashEscaped: You need GnuPG to verify this message


> [snip]

>> Try this Live Linux CD

>> http://www.knoppix.net/knoppix/index-en.html

> i think you meant: http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Yep!  Thanks!!
 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by William Hoope » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 04:33:27




> <snip>
> > I really don't want to back it all up if it is avoidable at all.
> </snip>

> I run a triple boot system (linux for me, win2k for my g/f and win98 for
> games) and have both the 98 and 2k partitions as fat32.  Linux won't
> write to a fat32 partition but it will read one.

Bullshit.

Quote:> <snip>
> > Should I try PhatLinux out?
> </snip>

> Don't bother with any linux on windows type distro's in my experience
> they've been pretty crap.

> <snip>

Agreed, and most of them won't work with Win2k anyway.
--
William Hooper

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Nick Gushlo » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:19:16


<snip>

Quote:>>I run a triple boot system (linux for me, win2k for my g/f and win98 for
>>games) and have both the 98 and 2k partitions as fat32.  Linux won't
>>write to a fat32 partition but it will read one.

> Bullshit.

</snip>

ummm ... bullshit that I run a triple boot system? bullshit that linux
won't write to fat32? or bullshit that linux will read fat32?

Just bullshit isn't very informative I'm afraid.

If you mean bullshit that linux won't write to fat32 I'm glad; I only
ever used to run linux on servers (this is my first desktop linux box)
and I always had the wimpression that I would be able to read/write
fat32 and read ntfs; so when I reinstalled this box I made the windows
partitions fat32, but now I find myself only able to read them.  Which
is a * cos most of the disk space is assigned to a fat32 'storage'
partition.

  -- Nick

 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:06:49



Quote:> <snip>

> >>I run a triple boot system (linux for me, win2k for my g/f and win98 for
> >>games) and have both the 98 and 2k partitions as fat32.  Linux won't
> >>write to a fat32 partition but it will read one.

> > Bullshit.
> </snip>

> ummm ... bullshit that I run a triple boot system? bullshit that linux
> won't write to fat32? or bullshit that linux will read fat32?

> Just bullshit isn't very informative I'm afraid.

> If you mean bullshit that linux won't write to fat32 I'm glad; I only
> ever used to run linux on servers (this is my first desktop linux box)
> and I always had the wimpression that I would be able to read/write
> fat32 and read ntfs; so when I reinstalled this box I made the windows
> partitions fat32, but now I find myself only able to read them.  Which
> is a * cos most of the disk space is assigned to a fat32 'storage'
> partition.

Linux will do FAT32 and all Windows compatible file systems effectively and
reliably *EXCEPT* NTFS. NTFS is a weaving target, and the model of file
ownership used is wildly distinct from that of the UNIX style file systems.
At last look, even reading an NTFS file system with non-Windows certified
software is unreliable and may corrupt your file system: the Linux code is
marked "experimental" for this sort of reason.
 
 
 

Phatlinux /Red Hat (newbie questions)

Post by William Hoope » Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:32:09



Quote:> <snip>

> >>I run a triple boot system (linux for me, win2k for my g/f and win98 for
> >>games) and have both the 98 and 2k partitions as fat32.  Linux won't
> >>write to a fat32 partition but it will read one.

> > Bullshit.
> </snip>

> ummm ... bullshit that I run a triple boot system? bullshit that linux
> won't write to fat32? or bullshit that linux will read fat32?

> Just bullshit isn't very informative I'm afraid.

> If you mean bullshit that linux won't write to fat32 I'm glad; I only
> ever used to run linux on servers (this is my first desktop linux box)
> and I always had the wimpression that I would be able to read/write
> fat32 and read ntfs; so when I reinstalled this box I made the windows
> partitions fat32, but now I find myself only able to read them.  Which
> is a * cos most of the disk space is assigned to a fat32 'storage'
> partition.

>   -- Nick

A simple Google search shows that FAT32 support has been in the kernel since
2.0.34.  If you can't write to it you need to check your mount options and
permissions to the mount point.  How else would the loopback or UMSDOS
distributions (like Phatlinux) work without partitioning?
--
William Hooper

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it

 
 
 

1. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

How can I install packages that I forgot to install with the Red Hat
7.1 installation?

Here's my problem:
Various pieces of Red Hat keep saying that I am missing a file and
that it needs to be installed with a certain package (namely most of
the Kontrol Panel).  But I have been unsuccessful at finding where
this is done.  I am still a newbie with Linux, but I would assume that
there should be an "Add/Remove Programs" equivalent with Linux.

Please help!

2. cant build motif on freebsd 4.1

3. Newbie Ramdisk Question; Red Hat Rescue disk Questions

4. LARGE AMOUNTS OF RAM

5. Newbie Red Hat setup question...

6. Dual P4 Xeon Workstations

7. Newbie question: Printing to Red Hat Server

8. SUMMARY: U30 and UltraSPARC 450-4MB

9. Real newbie basic X question - Red Hat 5.2

10. Newbie Question about Red Hat 7.2

11. Newbie Question - Changing resolution and desktop panning in Red Hat 6.0

12. Newbie question -- need help installing Red Hat 5.0

13. Red Hat newbie questions