HELP !!! Need to Remount NTFS partition on WIndows NT

HELP !!! Need to Remount NTFS partition on WIndows NT

Post by Rakendu Devdha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello Everybody,

I'm a linux newbie.
I recently decided to install linux on my desktop. I had lot of space on my
NTFS partition, so I decided to resize NTFS.  I installed on Linux Mandrake
in the resulting empty size.

But something has gone wrong after that. Now when I boot back to windows NT
I cant find my NTFS partition ( which used to D: ) at all.  However, I
verified with few disk partition software that NTFS partition still exists.

Can anybody please tell me how can I mount this NTFS partition back in
Windows ?? I have some important stuff in that partition. NT Disk
Administrator shows that partition as Unknow type, but the exact size.

Thanks in Advance,
-rakendu

Post by KaDo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello Everybody,

> I'm a linux newbie. I recently decided to install linux on my desktop. I
> had lot of space on my NTFS partition, so I decided to resize NTFS.  I
> installed on Linux Mandrake in the resulting empty size.

> But something has gone wrong after that. Now when I boot back to windows
> NT I cant find my NTFS partition ( which used to D: ) at all.  However,
> I verified with few disk partition software that NTFS partition still
> exists.

> Can anybody please tell me how can I mount this NTFS partition back in
> Windows ?? I have some important stuff in that partition. NT Disk
> Administrator shows that partition as Unknow type, but the exact size.

> Thanks in Advance,
> -rakendu

I don't think windows will ever recognise linux partitions....
I'm afraid if you resized the partion all your info is gone, but I could be wrong
I don't know of any program that will allow you to view linux partitions on
winblows, it might be there though...

KaDoS

HELP !!! Need to Remount NTFS partition on WIndows NT

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 11:10:53

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hello Everybody,

> I'm a linux newbie.
> I recently decided to install linux on my desktop. I had lot of space on my
> NTFS partition, so I decided to resize NTFS.  I installed on Linux Mandrake
> in the resulting empty size.

What did you use to resize that partition? If you tried using an
ordinary FDISK program, you may have trashed it. If you used Partition
Magic or the like, it SHOULD be OK, but it's possible that WinNT/2K has
gotten confused. (It sometimes does that when a partitioning scheme is
changed on it.)

Quote:> Can anybody please tell me how can I mount this NTFS partition back in
> Windows ?? I have some important stuff in that partition. NT Disk
> Administrator shows that partition as Unknow type, but the exact size.

Check in Linux fdisk what the partition type code is for the partition.
It should be 07, which is the code for NTFS. If it's not, change it to
NTFS. Note you should change the NTFS partition's code to this, not
something else (like a Linux partition).

One other thing you might try doing is this:

1) Mount the NTFS partition in Linux. (I'm not sure offhand if Mandrake
   includes NTFS support out of the box; if not, you'll need to
   recompile your kernel.)
2) Copy all the files from the NTFS partition to whatever sort of
   partition or medium is convenient. Be sure it's something that's
   readable from Windows NT/2K, though, like a FAT partition or a
   FAT-formatted Zip disk.
3) In Windows NT/2K, delete the NTFS partition and then create a new one
   using Disk Administrator.
4) Format the new partition as NTFS.
5) Copy the files back to the partition.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration