X ....and mouse problems incld. other minor problems.....

X ....and mouse problems incld. other minor problems.....

Post by T. Ghos » Tue, 18 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi all....

    I have a perfect installation of Debian 2.0.  I followed instructions on
how to setup X windows from the following URL (found it VERY informative)

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/gs/node7.html

When I ran XF86Setup....the setup came up, but the mouse pointer did not
move.
I finished the setup by using keyboard commands.  Then, I finished the rest
of the installation according to the directions posted at the site above.
When I ran startx.  I came to a GUI screen with just a small x, I guess this
is the mouse pointer.  However, the mouse STILL did not work.  The screen
does not stay at this GUI phase.  After a few seconds, the display flickers
and I am back at my Debian prompt.  I see a whole line of stuff that ran
before such as the Xserver information, and XF86config stuff. I'd appreciate
any help.
TIA

X ....and mouse problems incld. other minor problems.....

Post by Clive DaSil » Sun, 23 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello

You prolly have gpm loaded (a text based mouse driver) which clashes
with X sometimes. try this : from root killall gpm and then startx and
see if the problem is solved

Good luck

Clive

>Hi all....

>    I have a perfect installation of Debian 2.0.  I followed instructions on
>how to setup X windows from the following URL (found it VERY informative)

>http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/gs/node7.html

>When I ran XF86Setup....the setup came up, but the mouse pointer did not
>move.
>I finished the setup by using keyboard commands.  Then, I finished the rest
>of the installation according to the directions posted at the site above.
>When I ran startx.  I came to a GUI screen with just a small x, I guess this
>is the mouse pointer.  However, the mouse STILL did not work.  The screen
>does not stay at this GUI phase.  After a few seconds, the display flickers
>and I am back at my Debian prompt.  I see a whole line of stuff that ran
>before such as the Xserver information, and XF86config stuff. I'd appreciate
>any help.
>TIA

Clive DaSilva CMA

Homepage: http://www.Geocities.com/Broadway/2207

1. Some minor X problems (3 button mouse and keymaps).

After a nights poking around with the X server I finally got it running
1024x968 interlaced on a Tseng Labs ET4000 card with a Northman monitor.
So far so good.

I have a Microsoft campatible mouse, but with three buttons, and the
Xserver will only recognise two, which is a hassle.  Right now I am
using Emulate3buttons, but it seems a bit stupid, since I do have three
buttons on the mouse.  What can I do to correct this?  I am lost.
Besides this, the mouse works perfectly.

Also, the xterms seem to be using a US keyboard layout, and I have a
Danish keyboard.  Are there any other way to change this, than to create
a giant xmodmap file to map things around?

2. ksh command history broken?

3. kde2 problems (on RH6.1) -- kdm fails, also minor icon problems

4. what is I/O error (EIO) from select on SGI?

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. What is this?

7. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

8. Can't get X-Windows connetion to Solaris via Exceed (Hummingbird) - help!

9. Patch: linux-2.5.2-pre8/drivers/sound compilation fixes: MINOR-->minor

10. PROBLEM: PS/2 mouse movements cause lock up of all mouse and keyboard input

11. Problem with 3-key Mouse Systems mouse (weird popups)

12. Mouse Problem -- Mouse affects area above Pointer

13. PROBLEM: PS/2 mouse movements cause lock up of all mouse and keyboard input