Can't boot with rh5 boot disk please help

Can't boot with rh5 boot disk please help

Post by kgb » Wed, 27 May 1998 04:00:00

hey all

I am having some trouble booting from the rh5 boot disk.  I know that it
is made correctly because it worked fine for me before I installed rh
for the first time.  I have now reformatted my second hd(the one
containing the linux files) and when I try to load using the boot disk
it maked it to the initial menu but when it tried to load vmlinuz it
says boot failed, insert disk and press a key.  Does anyone know what is
wrong?

thanks

kgb

Post by Ashwin Biha » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

> hey all

> I am having some trouble booting from the rh5 boot disk.  I know that it
> is made correctly because it worked fine for me before I installed rh
> for the first time.  I have now reformatted my second hd(the one
> containing the linux files) and when I try to load using the boot disk
> it maked it to the initial menu but when it tried to load vmlinuz it
> says boot failed, insert disk and press a key.  Does anyone know what is
> wrong?

If you have access to DOS and to your CD-ROM through DOS..then you can
simply go to the AUTOBOOT directory and run the AUTOBOOT.BAT file to begin
the installation right from the CD..rather than running through the Boot
disk..if you dont have DOS installation..just use a DOS bootdisk which has
the CDROM drivers on it..Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

Can't boot with rh5 boot disk please help

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 28 May 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> hey all

> I am having some trouble booting from the rh5 boot disk.  I know that it
> is made correctly because it worked fine for me before I installed rh
> for the first time.  I have now reformatted my second hd(the one
> containing the linux files) and when I try to load using the boot disk
> it maked it to the initial menu but when it tried to load vmlinuz it
> says boot failed, insert disk and press a key.  Does anyone know what is
> wrong?

Try hitting <Alt-F3> when you get this error.  That'll switch you to a
view of the kernel boot messages, which will be about 1000% more
diagnostic than the messages you get on the main screen.  You may be able
to take it from there, or you may want to post the errors reported.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me