Anyone using 360K floppy drives under Linux?

Anyone using 360K floppy drives under Linux?

Post by Nick Kralevi » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 17:39:12

I just picked up a 360 K floppy drive, and I was trying to get
it to run under Linux.  So far, no luck.  However, it does
work under DOS, which makes me wonder whats wrong.  So, is
anyone using a 360 K floppy drive, and if so, how do I get it
to work?

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich

--
LINUX, the FREE           | University of California at  | Nick Kralevich

future available via anon | Electrical Engineering and   | berkeley.edu
FTP. Ask me about it.     | Computer Science.            | finger for PGP

Post by Bruce Scott TO » Thu, 09 Feb 1995 19:53:48

|> I just picked up a 360 K floppy drive, and I was trying to get
|> it to run under Linux.  So far, no luck.  However, it does
|> work under DOS, which makes me wonder whats wrong.  So, is
|> anyone using a 360 K floppy drive, and if so, how do I get it
|> to work?

There is a /dev file for these drives (720 k as well), but you have to get
the link to /dev/fd? correctly set up.

I tried to mount my internal drive this way to read an old floppy, but I
think a drive which reads 1.44M cannot be asked to read 360 k.

If anyone knows otherwise, please comment.

--
Gruss,
Dr Bruce Scott                             The deadliest bullshit is

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Mon, 13 Feb 1995 18:02:29

> (Nick Kralevich) writes:
>|>
>|> I just picked up a 360 K floppy drive, and I was trying to get
>|> it to run under Linux.  So far, no luck.  However, it does
>|> work under DOS, which makes me wonder whats wrong.  So, is
>There is a /dev file for these drives (720 k as well), but you have to get
>the link to /dev/fd? correctly set up.
>I tried to mount my internal drive this way to read an old floppy, but I
>think a drive which reads 1.44M cannot be asked to read 360 k.

I use lots of 360KB diskettes with a 1.2MB drive.
(360K disks are practically free, and we give away Green Party literature
on them.)

/root-4167-> ls -l /dev/fd1h*
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       2,   9 Nov 30  1993 /dev/fd1h1200
brw-rw-rw-   1 root     disk       2,  21 Nov 30  1993 /dev/fd1h360

A 1.2MB drive cannot write a proper track on a 360KB diskette because
its head is too narrow.  The trouble is the 1.2 drive cannot *erase*
the fat track that was written by a real 360 drive.  But almost all 360
drives can read the narrow tracks written by 1.2 drives, *if you
bulk-erase the diskette first* to get rid of the old, fat tracks.

You have to use /dev/fd[01]h360 to access the 360 drive.