recompile distribution & modules make errors at boot time

recompile distribution & modules make errors at boot time

Post by Jesse Wyan » Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:13:05

I found that I could avoid those errors if I deleted /lib/modules/`uname -r` (or mv it

to a different directory name), and then recompile, rerun lilo.  For some reason (I haven't

investigated it any further, if you have a prior modules dir. there, it can interfere.

Hope it helps...

-jesse

--

Jesse Wyant
Cinemuck, n.:

1. Making Linux multiboot capable and grub loading kernel modules at boot time.

Hi,

I send this to every one who seems to be interested in it as cc.
(If you don't want this simple let me know).

This is the next release off my Kernel Patch letting grub loads
Kernel-Modules at boot time.

This patch is against Kernel 2.5.1 and grub 0.90 and consider off 3 Parts:

1. mboot.diff: Makes vmlinux multiboot compliant.

   Changes made since last Version:
        1.  added 2 new build targets to the Kernel Makefiles "mImage"
             and "mImage.gz" creating clean Multiboot Kernel-Images in
             arch/i386/boot.
        2.  setup.c now evaluates the multiboot apm table correctly.

2. bootmodules.diff: Adds a new elf-object file loader, evaluating and
   inserting the modules grub have loaded into the Kernel.

   Changes made since last Version:
        1.  Module Parameters are evaluated correctly now.
        2.  Fixed some memory leaks and 1 byte miss bug in boot_modules.c.
        3.  Fixed a ugly bug that made modules exporting much kernel symbols oops at
             boott up.

3. grub.diff: This is a new patch adding a command to grub who loads all
             modules in a specified file with correct module-dependecies.
             Now you could do something like:

             root (hd0,1)
             kernel /boot/vmlinux-2.5.1prex root=/dev/hda1 ro
             modulesfromfile /etc/modules /lib/modules/2.5.1/modules.dep

             inside your grub menu.lst and every thing specified in /etc/module
             gets loaded before the Kernel is booted.

You can download these patches at

http://home.t-online.de/home/ChristianK./patches/mboot.diff
http://home.t-online.de/home/ChristianK./patches/bootmodules.diff
http://home.t-online.de/home/ChristianK./patches/grub.diff

Please tell me what you think about it / how it works.

MfG, Christian K?nig. (Sorry for my poor English)
-

2. Need to use CGI's / set up Apache Web Server .... how ??

3. lib/modules/2.0.32/cm206 Unresolved symbol -- Error at boot time ???

4. Help: with select(2) to detect pending stdin

5. Trying to StartX and it fails, server output included

6. Monitoring any ppp -transfer

7. making my own distribution / boot disks? installation howto?

8. /boot/module-info after kernal recompile RH 7.2

9. Recompiling kernel with RedHat 5.2 (/boot/module-info setup)

10. Recompiling Kernel in RH5.0 module errors

11. recompiling for 1394 make modules error