GETTING KDE WORKING

Post by Graham Popl » Sun, 05 Apr 1998 04:00:00

OK, I think I've worked out why KDE isn't working; the only KDE package
on Debian is KDElibs. I also need KDEBase, which presumably nobody at
Debian has done yet. I went to the KDE ftp site, and downloaded the
stable beta 3 Debian KDElibs, base and support packages. However, these
were compatible with libc5, while my Debian 2 (frozen) system is only
compatible with libc6.
My question is, are there there libc6-compatible, beta 3 Debian package
versions of kdelibs, kdebase and kdesupport?
Thanks in advance for all help.

SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)

GETTING KDE WORKING

Post by Me Agai » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

>OK, I think I've worked out why KDE isn't working; the only KDE package
>on Debian is KDElibs. I also need KDEBase, which presumably nobody at
>Debian has done yet. I went to the KDE ftp site, and downloaded the
>stable beta 3 Debian KDElibs, base and support packages. However, these
>were compatible with libc5, while my Debian 2 (frozen) system is only
>compatible with libc6.
>My question is, are there there libc6-compatible, beta 3 Debian package
>versions of kdelibs, kdebase and kdesupport?

There is a libc6 version somewhere on the kde site but I would strongly
recommend gettting the source (.tgz) files for kdesupport, kdelibs and kdebase
(in that order) and compiling them yourself.  It all compiles effortlessly and
doesn't take long either AND it's well worth it :)

Oh and by the way, make sure you have the latest QT installed first.

regards

Mark
   Boycot shampoo!!!! - Demand REAL poo!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wheely.demon.co.uk

GETTING KDE WORKING

Post by Graham Popl » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Quote:>>OK, I think I've worked out why KDE isn't working; the only KDE package
>>on Debian is KDElibs. I also need KDEBase, which presumably nobody at
>>Debian has done yet. I went to the KDE ftp site, and downloaded the
>>stable beta 3 Debian KDElibs, base and support packages. However, these
>>were compatible with libc5, while my Debian 2 (frozen) system is only
>>compatible with libc6.
>>My question is, are there there libc6-compatible, beta 3 Debian package
>>versions of kdelibs, kdebase and kdesupport?

>There is a libc6 version somewhere on the kde site but I would strongly
>recommend gettting the source (.tgz) files for kdesupport, kdelibs and kdebase
>(in that order) and compiling them yourself.  It all compiles effortlessly and
>doesn't take long either AND it's well worth it :)

>Oh and by the way, make sure you have the latest QT installed first.

>regards

>Mark

OK, I could probably work out how to compile them (I admit it - I'm a
newbie!), but how do I work out which particular .tgz files support
libc6 and not libc5? All the files look the same to me.

SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)

GETTING KDE WORKING

Post by John Chec » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

This isn't really an answer to your question but I thought I'd pass it
along anyway. I just started using KDE and was having a rough time
getting it started. My problem? I was running midnight commander while I
tried to launch KDE. X would start but no window manager. I suppose it
has something to do with KDE being network based. Anyway eventually I
started KDE without mc running (didn't try it on purpose, it just worked
out that way) and everything was hunky-dory. I would imagine that GIT or
any other similar "dosshell" type thingy would gum things up in a
similar fashion.
Pax
PS I'll probably go back to fvwm, but I could see where KDE would be
useful if you have a lot of technophobic users.

> OK, I think I've worked out why KDE isn't working; the only KDE package
> on Debian is KDElibs. I also need KDEBase, which presumably nobody at
> Debian has done yet. I went to the KDE ftp site, and downloaded the
> stable beta 3 Debian KDElibs, base and support packages. However, these
> were compatible with libc5, while my Debian 2 (frozen) system is only
> compatible with libc6.
> My question is, are there there libc6-compatible, beta 3 Debian package
> versions of kdelibs, kdebase and kdesupport?
> Thanks in advance for all help.

> SNES emulators at Emulation One (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/index.htm)
> All emulators at E1 Newsletter (http://www.jalna.demon.co.uk/e1news.htm)

1. Getting xdm to work w/SlackWare 3.4, AccelX 4.1 & KDE?

I currently have AccelX v4.1 running on kernel 2.0.33 using the SlackWare
v3.4 distribution. I'm using the latest stable version of KDE as my windows
manger.

I changed my /etc/inittab to default to an init level of 4 and when I reboot
my system, it attempted to start xdm. But it just stops there saying
"Starting up the X Window System V.11 R.6..." on the console (which is what
rc.4 echos before it runs xdm).

Right now I can start AccelX/KDE via "startx" after I edited .xinitrc and
added "startkde" so I know the xserver works. But I think I'm probably
missing some configuration files that I was suppose to edit/setup during the
installation of AccelX and KDE.

The error log of xdm shows nothing so...

Anyone have any ideas on how to get xdm working right? Thanks in advance!

--Dan

2. connect root to the system console only

3. Getting KDE mail working with Kppp

4. Portmap, do I need it?

5. Getting extra ("internet") keys working with KDE!

6. : Combo floppy working ?

7. Getting 2 mouse to work on KDE

8. Termcap for VT340+

9. getting a modem to work in kde

10. getting my onboard yamaha YMF740E soundcard to work in linux RedHat5.2/KDE

11. GETTING KDE TO WORK

12. getting wheel mouse to work under KDE

13. GETTING KDE TO WORK