Loadlin stopped working... help

Post by Tom Moo » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have been succesfully using loadlin with linux 1.2.13
and win95 for a couple of months.  When I installed Win95
it was an upgrade on top of Win 3.11, and I was pleased that
loadlin continued to work without any problems.

Last week I started to look into compressing my C drive
with drivespace.  I didn't compress the drive, but just
started the drvspace program, read the help files,
and looked at some properties.  Now, I cannot run loadlin.

When I try to run loadlin I get the error message:
LOADLIN v1.5 ...
Not enough free memory between 90000h and 9ffffh,
may be you have some zombie programs, try to reboot.
If this doesn't help, try to find out what driver occupies this space.

This message occurs even when running 'loadlin -t',
so it makes me think that it must be the DOS/Win
configuration that is the problem, and has nothing
to do with the kernel.

DOS/Win reports the following memory utilization:

                 Total  Used   Free
Conventional:     640K   94k   546K
Upper:             91k   34k    57K
Reserved:         384k  384k     0K
Extended (XMS): 23416k  253k 23208k

In my config.sys file I have set the following EMM386 parameters:
 DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS I=B000-B7FF X=D000-FCFF

These are unchanged since I bought the machine.
Does anyone have any suggestions to get loadlin working again?

Thanks,

Tom

--

Petawawa National Forestry Institute
Canadian Forest Service, Box 2000, Chalk River  +1 (613) 589-3048

Post by Jelle N. Fo » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I have been succesfully using loadlin with linux 1.2.13
>and win95 for a couple of months.  When I installed Win95
>it was an upgrade on top of Win 3.11, and I was pleased that
>loadlin continued to work without any problems.

>Last week I started to look into compressing my C drive
>with drivespace.  I didn't compress the drive, but just
>started the drvspace program, read the help files,
>and looked at some properties.  Now, I cannot run loadlin.

>When I try to run loadlin I get the error message:
>LOADLIN v1.5 ...
>Not enough free memory between 90000h and 9ffffh,
>may be you have some zombie programs, try to reboot.
>If this doesn't help, try to find out what driver occupies this space.
>These are unchanged since I bought the machine.
>Does anyone have any suggestions to get loadlin working again?

Rename any (hidden!!) files in C:\ called dblspace.bin or drvspace.bin, which
are the basic compressed drive drivers from Mr Gates...

and then reboot...

Good luck, Jelle.

:
[...]
: --

: Petawawa National Forestry Institute
: Canadian Forest Service, Box 2000, Chalk River  +1 (613) 589-3048
: ONT K0J 1J0  CANADA                             +1 (613) 589-2275 telefax
Though there were friendly people who helped you in the meantime, I guess I
should make some info public that explains 'why' the problem occures
and how to work around. As I don't have any news feed, I beg
Uwe Bonnes to post this.

Of course it has nothing to do with the kernel, LOADLIN doesn't
even try to load the kernel.

LOADLIN _can_ boot Linux out of W95, but of course not from the GUI.
You need to switch to _real_ DOS-mode.
I got reports that in some cases the Linux-console gets blind,
when allowing the W95 logo to show up (...grin).

The main problem is when you use DRVSPACE or DBLSPACE,
under W95 part of it normally gets loaded top of the 640, hence
occupying 9000:0, which is needed by Linux to boot up.
(there the arch/i386/boot/setup.S is 'fix' loaded)

After extensive test under different conditions the follow turns out:
(DRVSPACE or DBLSPACE are the same, has to do with STACKER versus MS)

1. If DRVSPACE.INI exists, then DRVSPACE.BIN gets loaded before all
   other drivers. Normally (no F8 pressed) a big part of it goes
   at the end of the lowmem (640K).

2. Later (in CONFYG.SYS) one has the chance to reduce the amount of
   the top part (from 54k to 42k) by means of DRVSPACE.SYS:

     DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DRVSPACE.SYS

   However, this doesn't solve our problem.

3. If you make UMB available (HIMEM+EMM386+DOS=HIGH,UMB), then
   you can actually free the top 640k:

     DEVICEHIGH=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DRVSPACE.SYS /MOVE

   (this moves part of DRVSPACE into UMB)

4. Well, and now to the strange & funny part of the story:

   If you hit F8 while booting or use BootMenu=1 in MSDOS.SYS,
   then DRVSPACE.BIN will be loaded _completely_ low.
   Heureka!

Well, after knowing the above, here is what always will work:
(though some more clever configuration is possible)

1. Change attribs of C:\MSDOS.SYS, so that it becomes visible
   (it's now a ASCII file and hidden+system)

2. In C:\MSDOS.SYS change:

   BootGUI=0
   Logo=0
   ; the below is equivalent to pressing F8 at boottime
   BootMenu=1
   BootDefault=6     <=== please verify if it's 6 or 5 !
                          (depends on haveing network or not)
   BootDelay=4

3. In C:\CONFIG.SYS have some thing like

   [menu]
   menuitem=W95, Boot W95 DOS
   menuitem=LINUX, Boot Linux
   me*fault=W95,10

   [W95]
   rem all what you need for DOS

   [LINUX]

   [COMMON]
   rem THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING for COMMON
   rem move all you have to W95 part

4. Create the file C:\loadlin\linuxpar.1

   c:\loadlin\1_2_13.aou   # the kernel image file
   vga=ask
   root=/dev/hda2 ro       # your linux root partition
   # following some additional params .... edit to your needs
   #ether=15,0x2a0,0xcc000,0xcffff,eth0

The effect of this is that you will pass through TWO boot menues,
from which the first will automatically (after 4 seconds, BootDelay)
switch to the second menu.

If you chose W95 from the second menu, you will come to normal DOS prompt,
you can then type

  C:> win

and W95 will be started (as with windows 3.1)

As I have only a german version I can't tell you how your boot menu
will look, sorry.

One final remark:
================

I'm currently working on LOADLIN-1.6 which will overcome this problem
totally. In fact this part of the changes _do_ already work, the
9000:0 limit does no longer exist.

However, it needs some changes to linux/arch/i386/boot/setup.S and I'm
not ready with the other big change: Loading the kernel high. I hope Linus
will put my patch to setup.S into the official kernel before 2.0,
but there is a code freeze ...
... and to convince Linus I perhaps need your help ...

Hans

Loadlin stopped working... help

Post by Allen Singleta » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

says...

>>I have been succesfully using loadlin with linux 1.2.13
>>and win95 for a couple of months.  When I installed Win95
>>it was an upgrade on top of Win 3.11, and I was pleased that
>>loadlin continued to work without any problems.

>>Last week I started to look into compressing my C drive
>>with drivespace.  I didn't compress the drive, but just
>>started the drvspace program, read the help files,
>>and looked at some properties.  Now, I cannot run loadlin.

>>When I try to run loadlin I get the error message:
>>LOADLIN v1.5 ...
>>Not enough free memory between 90000h and 9ffffh,
>>may be you have some zombie programs, try to reboot.
>>If this doesn't help, try to find out what driver occupies this space.

>>These are unchanged since I bought the machine.
>>Does anyone have any suggestions to get loadlin working again?

>Rename any (hidden!!) files in C:\ called dblspace.bin or drvspace.bin,
which
>are the basic compressed drive drivers from Mr Gates...

>and then reboot...

>Good luck, Jelle.

Hi,

I have been having the same problem as Tom Moore described.  When I
followed Jelle's recommendation (i.e., rename the hidden drvspace.bin and
dblspace.bin files), I can now load linux with loadlin by clicking the
mouse on my DOS Real-Mode icon from Windows95.

Thanks to all those contributing on this work-a-round solution.

Allen Singletary

1. Loadlin stopped working... SOLVED!

Thanks for everyone who replied quickly to this message.
I think I have the problem solved...

It looks like windows created a file named 'c:\dblspace.ini'
Just the presence of this file was causing the dblspace
driver to be loaded, but at the top of conventional memory
where loadlin want to go.  It turns out that this driver
can be loaded into high memory or at the bottom of
conventional memory.  I got rid of the 'dblspace.ini'
file, and added this to my config.sys:

'DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRVSPACE.BIN /MOVE'

Loadlin works again.  I have not installed a compressed volume
yet, but it looks like it should work ok with loadlin.

Tom
--

Petawawa National Forestry Institute
Canadian Forest Service, Box 2000, Chalk River  +1 (613) 589-3048
ONT K0J 1J0  CANADA                             +1 (613) 589-2275 telefax

2. Problems with new Soundblaster PCI 128 (based on CT5880 chip)

3. TERM works, then stops, then works! Please help.

4. Mounting ISO9660 cdroms

5. Can't get LILO or loadlin to work - Need Help Please!

6. USR Winmodem with Linux?

7. Loadlin stops the system (or does this DOS)

8. Problems mounting a SunSolaris filesystem through NFS

9. Intel Etherexpress Pro 100 stopped working...please help

10. HELP! My mouse stopped working!

11. News stops working. *HELP*

12. Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

13. Verizon FTP stopped working recently 530 login incorrect Help!