Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Install Crash

Post by Olivier Carmon » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install Open Linux 1.3 on a PC with floppy disk.

Everything works right : CDROM & Disk detected, the network card needs
the modules disks but it works fine.

Except... that when trying to install from Hard Disk, everything goes
till the real stuff starts. Even before printing the installation meter
(showing whoch packages is installed), I get caught in a *y
"Debug_Stop called. press enter" message, if I press Enter, I get anew
the message and then it tells me that installation failed and tell me to
stop the computer.

This distributions looks nice for networking in heterogeneous
environement compared to the poor support in RedHat for instance. But
this installation is so restricted (you cannot install from ftp, you
cannot save your settings), that I will probably not recommend it to
other users.

Thanks for those who can help...

--
Olivier Carmona
Assistant de Recherche au Laboratoire de Micro-Informatique

1. Trouble installing Caldera 1.3 open linux

I have hit a hurdle (probably just a perceived hurdle) when trying to
install OpenLinux from Caldera from my hard drive.

The installation routine gets to the point where it says it will run FDISK
and set up my partitions. The thing I am concerned about is the changes this
may make to my system. Using Partition Magic 4.0, I have already set up two
partitions for Linux, one for the OS and another dedicated solely to the
swap file. This is a DOS installation.

What will happen when I proceed with running FDISK in the linux install
routine? Will I be able to just select the partitions already set up, or
will the routine instead want to FDISK my hard drive and cause me to have to
reinstall everything in my Win 95 installation, along with applications and
data?

The advantages of learning how to use Linux and its enormous power, over Win
xx OS, motivate me to want to "take the plunge", but I would like to get set
up as a dual boot situation for now. Please help me through this, if
possible.

Scott

2. IPX Collision Messages

3. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Fips ; installation probs help please ;-)

4. vgrindef for makefile

5. Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

6. VIA AC'97 audio driver

7. Do I need to replace My PNP modem to install Caldera 1.3 correctly

8. Canon LBP-460 and Linux

9. Help w/ install of Caldera 1.3

10. How do I Upgrade/Install the new libc.so.6 ......Caldera 1.3

11. Installing Caldera OpenLinux 1.3

12. Red Hat Linux 5.1 - Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 installation: need assistance (London)

13. Red Hat Linux 5.2 or Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 ?