Unable to install onto a 16 Gig HDrive

Post by Hugh Campbel » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I think I need a newer version of FDISK in order to read my large
Harddrive, but I am not very experienced with Linux.  Can someone please
point me in the right direction.

        I am trying to reinstall my RedHat version 4.0 onto a new IBM 16.5 Gig
drive. However, FIPS run under DOS reports a corrupted partition table
and will not let me proceed with the installation. Similarly, FDISK run
under Linux also says that it can't recognize /dev/hda, notwithstanding
the fact that during the Linux boot process from floppy, the system
reports all of the partitions on the hard drive correctly (ie hda1,
hda2, ... etc)

        The drive is set up as LBA, and I recall shows as about 2052 cyclinders
in the BIOS (I'm not in front of the machine right now).  The target
partition is entirely within the first 1023 cylinders and will for
example happily load OS/2 and boot from it.  Therefore, it does not
appear to be either a hardware problem, or a 1,023 problem.

        I guess I need an updated version of FDISK (the file date of FDISK in
my package is 02/12/96).  Where do I get it? I am totally unfamiliar
with the Linux ftp sites, etc.

        The drive is the only drive in the system, and it has OS/2 Boot Manager
manager installed. Windows 95, Windows 98, OS/2 versions 3.0, 4.0 and
WarpServer are all installed properly and able to read the partition
table correctly.  Therefore, the hardware seems just fine.

        I have used the identical setup (same LINUX CD, same install, etc)
before without trouble on smaller IDE drives, so the problem seems to
reside in the drivers needed to read the larger drive.

        Does anyone have any clues to help me?  Do I need a newer version of
FDISK, and if so where can I get it?  I would appreciate help from
anyone who has been down this route.

--
Hugh Campbell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I think I need a newer version of FDISK in order to read my large
> Harddrive, but I am not very experienced with Linux.  Can someone please
> point me in the right direction.

>         I am trying to reinstall my RedHat version 4.0 onto a new IBM 16.5 Gig

You might consider spending another C$12.50 to pick up an up to date
version of Linux.  I doubt that the kernel in that version of RedHat has
any idea what to do with more than 8.0GB.

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

Unable to install onto a 16 Gig HDrive

Post by Hugh Campbel » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

In answer to my earlier post about having trouble with getting Linux
FDISK to work on a 16 Gig drive, I have finally come up with a solution
that works:

FDISk only reported errors if the entire drive was partitioned properly.

By leaving the top portion unpartitioned, FDISK was happy, and could
run.  I could put the swap space entirely above 1,023 cylinders with no
problem.

I didn't trouble myself to find out at what point up in the stratosphere
of the 16 gig drive that FDISK conked out.  I basically just got it to
go, and then after Linux was installed, I went back into OS/2 and
repartitioned and formatted the rest of the drive for use with the OS/2
system.

This was on a copy of RedHat 5 by the way. It had the identical problems
to both my Slackware and Redhat 4 distributions.

The downside is that at present, I cannot use or re-use Linux's FDISK to
adjust anything, unless I back up and delete the 7 Gig data partition at
the top of the drive.  Shouldn't be a problem unless (until?) I forget
in two years time.

Post by Harry Flaxma » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> In answer to my earlier post about having trouble with getting Linux
> FDISK to work on a 16 Gig drive, I have finally come up with a solution
> that works:

> FDISk only reported errors if the entire drive was partitioned properly.

> By leaving the top portion unpartitioned, FDISK was happy, and could
> run.  I could put the swap space entirely above 1,023 cylinders with no
> problem.

> I didn't trouble myself to find out at what point up in the stratosphere
> of the 16 gig drive that FDISK conked out.  I basically just got it to
> go, and then after Linux was installed, I went back into OS/2 and
> repartitioned and formatted the rest of the drive for use with the OS/2
> system.

> This was on a copy of RedHat 5 by the way. It had the identical problems
> to both my Slackware and Redhat 4 distributions.

You're lucky.  In my RH 5.1 distribution, both Fdisk and Disk Druid
reported the wrong drive size.  This was on a 12 gig Quantum.  Finally
had to fool it with Partition Magic.  Anyway, I'm running SuSE 5.3 now
and all partitions are well.  Don't wanna go through THAT again.

Harry

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> In answer to my earlier post about having trouble with getting Linux
> FDISK to work on a 16 Gig drive, I have finally come up with a solution
> that works:

> FDISk only reported errors if the entire drive was partitioned properly.

> By leaving the top portion unpartitioned, FDISK was happy, and could
> run.  I could put the swap space entirely above 1,023 cylinders with no
> problem.

> I didn't trouble myself to find out at what point up in the stratosphere
> of the 16 gig drive that FDISK conked out.  I basically just got it to
> go, and then after Linux was installed, I went back into OS/2 and
> repartitioned and formatted the rest of the drive for use with the OS/2
> system.

> This was on a copy of RedHat 5 by the way. It had the identical problems
> to both my Slackware and Redhat 4 distributions.

IIRC the kernel shipped with RH 5.0 is 2.0.32.  That's part of the
problem if you check out:

http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk-7.html

Support for disks greater than 8GB wasn't included in the stable kernel
tree until
2.0.34pre14.  So even RH 5.1 might not have the support you needed
unless you upgraded the kernel.  The last stable kernel I know about is
2.0.35.

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

1. unable to install lilo in attempt to win98 + win NT + redhat6.0 on 13.6 Gig HD

HI there,

I am a linux newbie
I have already win98  (C drive) and NT (D drive) installled on 13.6 Quantum
7200rpm
so already two partitions of 1005 M (first I had 2047 for both of them but I
thought the problems
I had where because of linux root part not in first 4 GB of HD so I
reinstalled the two os with only +/- 1000MB each and
FAT for winNT)

I installed linux redhat 6.0 just to the point BEFORE installing lilo.
root partition of 1500MB and swap of 128 MB
(only got to choose cilinder 1025-... for linux root partition , so linux
partition past 1024 cil , although only 2GB used at that point)
but then there is an error:

while trying to install lilo
after choosing first sector of boot partition... (to use NT os loader)
and leaving special options unchanged
I get this :

(first attempt : 2047 MB for win98 and winNT in NTFS

/dev/hdb1  dos 16bit >=32             dos
/dev/hdb3 linux native           *       linux
/dev/hdb5  ox/2 HPFS                  NT (I think this is NT and edited
bootlabel)
)

situation now : 1000 MB for win98 and 1000MB for winNT in FAT

/dev/hdb1  dos 16bit >=32             dos
/dev/hdb3 linux native           *       linux

(it seems doesn't see wiNT anymore)

press ok => error
(( tried ignoring NT line (leaving bootlabel blank) on first attempt ))
tried ignoring dos line (leaving bootlabel blank)

still getting error.

So : final result

c: win98 1000MB
d: winNT 1000MB
part linux root 1500MB (cil 1025-...)   redhat 6.0 installed without lilo
installed (used menu to skip lilo installation)
swap part 128 MB

when I reboot : no NT os loader
booting with linux boot floppy goes, but I am newbie and don't know all the
commands
tried:
dd if=/dev/hda3 of=bootsec.lnx bs=512 count=1
in order to be able to place this in root c: so that NT os loader can see it
after editing boot.ini
but linux says :

/dev/hda3 : no such device

I just discovered that I had to use hdb3 instead of hda3 !
now I can dir bootsec.lnx
so I guess that is OK

still remains the problem of NT os loader not working anymore
and lilo not installed

can anyone help me?
should I use setup disks of NT to repair , or will this destroy linux ?

please mail also to me , so that I don't have to look in all the newsgroups.

thanks in advance
greetings from flanders

gunther

2. THIS GUY NEEDS A BULLET

3. unable to install RH5.2 onto RH5.1

4. Configuration question....

5. Paging space > 16 Gig

6. C++ header files

7. Connecting to a Linux box onto a 16 mb token ring

8. where to change sound file for session startup?

9. Problem with 1 GIG Enhanced IDE-More than 16 heads...

10. problem with 16 GIG RAM

11. Linux Installation onto Jazz 1.0 Gig Removable media

12. How to test Motherboard Unable to Cache > 16 MB RAM ?

13. test1 unix: NOTICE: authdes_create: unable to get client's netname, rpc status 16