Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Post by Keit » Wed, 06 May 1998 04:00:00

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

This is the message I get when trying to boot Linux now. I recompiled a
new kernel and now it doesn't boot, it stops at this message. I have
compiled the kernel at least 4 times and everytime I get this. I can
boot the old kernel from a floppy. Do I have lilo setup wrong? Someone
told me I may have to do something with rdev and making a patch to the
new kernel with boot partition. I don't know what that means, but it
sounds like something I should try. Someone else told me to do something
with 'mkinitd'. I really need some more details, these vague
suggestions, while they are appreciated, are not really helping me.

Keith

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Post by A Majo » Thu, 07 May 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

You probably have not included the drivers needed to mount the root partition.
In particular, the most important are the IDE or SCSI driver(s) and the
driver for the root filesystem type (mostly ext2fs). You have to include these
as built-in drivers, not modules. Another point could be support for
different binary types (ELF or a.out). They do not take much kernel space, so
include them as fixed drivers.

Hope this helps

          AM

Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

Post by roo » Fri, 08 May 1998 04:00:00

If you did install LILO, did you toggle the boot flag
using the 'fdisk' utility on that partition?

--

Post by Omegama » Tue, 12 May 1998 04:00:00

> If you did install LILO, did you toggle the boot flag
> using the 'fdisk' utility on that partition?

You don't need the boot flag set if LILO's in the mbr.
(ie. "boot=/dev/hda" for the mbr of the first hard drive in /etc/lilo.conf)

Quote:> >This is the message I get when trying to boot Linux now. I recompiled a
> >new kernel and now it doesn't boot, it stops at this message. I have
> >compiled the kernel at least 4 times and everytime I get this. I can
> >boot the old kernel from a floppy. Do I have lilo setup wrong?

How are you making the new kernel?  "make zlilo" will build it, and
run lilo on the new kernel for you.  If not you can run lilo by hand
once you boot in via floppy by running "/sbin/lilo" as root.  Let us
know what happens.

--
-------------(( http://www.communique.net/~omegam  ))-----------------

   PGP Key fingerprint =        |  How are you gonna come?
   6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2      |  With your hands upon your head,
   59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63      |  Or on the trigger of your gun?"
Send email with "get key" as the|  -- The Clash, "Guns of Brixton"
"Subject:" to get my public key |     _London_Calling_ , 1979

1. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

I just had RedHat 7.1 - (c4eb 2.0) installed on a fresh second hard
drive.  My main hard drive is running Win 2000.  I'm using a Thinkpad
T20.  During the install, I had to replace my main drive with the
second hard drive, because I had to use the Ultrabay slot for the
install boot disk.  Currently, I'm using the linux drive (second
drive) in the Ultrabay slot, so I don't have to keep swapping the
drives inside the laptop.  This is where my problem occurs.  I try to
boot linux from the Ultrabay slot, but I get the "Kernel panic: VFS:
Unable to mount root fs on 03:01" message.  However, if I take out my
main Win 2000 drive and replace it with the linux drive, the linux
system will boot fine.  I'm extremely green when it comes to linux and
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

2. How do I enable telnet connections for sol 2.6

3. Kernel panic : VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:01

4. Installing Netgear FA310TX card

5. Kerner panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01

6. undo password checking

7. DOS filesystem: kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount fs on 03:01

8. widgets...

9. Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 0:1:00

10. Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs...

11. Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs

12. Help: Kernel Panic: VFS unable to mount root fs

13. 2.3.99-4-2: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ....