Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?

Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?

Post by Dieter Schol » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

finally I bought my first Linux-Distribution (Suse 6.2 [german
edition/Intel]) last week, so I'm a real newbie in the
Unix/Linux-environment.

I had no problems with the installation - of course not, because YAST does
the whole configuration, etc. On the other hand I don't understand, what's
going on inside my PC and that's what I want to know.

My question:

Is it possible to install Linux without a distribution-specific setup
utility (e.g. DOS-like: booting from floppy - fdisk the hd - copy the
fundamental files - configure lilo and the basic system - ...)?

Do you know a web site that describes the whole process?

Thanks for your help, D.

Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?

Post by dast.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, if u ever get to know, let me know too, I'm a totally newbie too,
and i was trying to install redhat6 on my pc, and it failed and i'm
looking for the same kind of help that u are looking for ..

thanks

Quote:> Hello,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?

Post by Alle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

        Short answer, Yes.  I'm new enough at this too, so that I don't
know all the steps, but I'm certain that it's possible to do but would
require a great deal of patience, and knowlege..  Asking for a website
that details that is a very tall order, since the website docs that tell
you how to the the simple instalsl are barely covering the subject?

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 19:14:15 +0200, "Dieter Scholz"
...snip...

Quote:>My question:

>Is it possible to install Linux without a distribution-specific setup
>utility (e.g. DOS-like: booting from floppy - fdisk the hd - copy the
>fundamental files - configure lilo and the basic system - ...)?

>Do you know a web site that describes the whole process?

Allen

(email addy; furnished upon request?)

Is it possible to install Linux step-by-step (without a distribution-specific setup utility)?

Post by Curtybo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I share your desire to get to the bottom of my
system and know it inside out, and I decided to install it
by hand for this reason. I started off okay :
fdisk, mke2fs, etc.. With a bit of trial and error I
figured out what files were needed for an absolute bare-
minimum set up. Then I came to do the init scripts........

Basically I ended up deciding to use the Suse ones. Although
they cover more situations than I will ever encounter on my
single-user modem-based system, they do the job of setting up
the system much better than I could.

As I continued, I found my self reproducing the whole Suse
configuration.

To install the whole system by yourself amounts to creating
your own distribution, and takes a lot of work. Instead
I decided to dissect the Suse system, and tailor it to my
needs. I learnt a lot by just examining the init scripts and
reading man pages.

I recommend you do the same. Setting the whole lot up by hand
has a greater work:reward ratio than just going over an
existing set up with a fine tooth comb...

If you decide to continue with doing-it-yourself, I'll be
interested to hear how you get on.

Best regards,
Curt

Quote:> Hello,

--
---
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Step-by-step modem setup instructions?

I'm a newbe to the whole Linux OS.
I'm running a custom installation of Red Hat 5.2 and I can't get a modem
installed.

Can anyone give me step by step instructions?

Is the US Robotics 56K V.90 Internal Fax modem supported? (I have other
modems to)

How does someone dial out?

Michael V. Weyant

2. mail with attachments

3. Step-by-Step Apache install HELP?

4. Installing glibc 2.1 without losing 2.07?

5. Is there a step-by-step guide to networking win9x to linux?

6. Mystique 220

7. Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.

8. Locking Accounts

9. Step by step in installing red hat linux 6.0

10. is there a step by step to setup a little network for COL 2.3?

11. Step by Step IPChains setup? Total Newbie here

12. Step-by-step instructions to set up 2 computer home network?

13. FreeBSD Private Network Natd Gateway Step-by-Step