Reformatting hard drives

Post by <g.. » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to mount a hard drive but get super-
block error messages that don't allow the mount.
I'd like to clear the drive and start clean.
When I run fsck on the drive, I get the
error 'Bad superblock. Try using e2fsck
with new superblock location; e2fsck -b 8139 <dev>.
When I run the above command I still get a
similar error. How can I reformat the drive?

--Greg

Reformatting hard drives

Post by j.. » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>                           Reformatting hard drives

>   Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 19:04:24 -0400
>   Newsgroups:
>          comp.os.linux.setup
>   Followup to: newsgroup(s)

>I'm trying to mount a hard drive but get super-
>block error messages that don't allow the mount.
>I'd like to clear the drive and start clean.
>When I run fsck on the drive, I get the
>error 'Bad superblock. Try using e2fsck
>with new superblock location; e2fsck -b 8139 <dev>.
>When I run the above command I still get a
>similar error. How can I reformat the drive?

>--Greg

   The program you want is called "fdisk".  There's
a man page.  It's also described in all the Red Hat
User's Guides back to 4.0 (and maybe further).