Kernel recompile loses networking, RH 7.3

Kernel recompile loses networking, RH 7.3

Post by Steve Holdowa » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:02:41

Hi folks,

I've just build up a system I'm going to use as a database server.
It's based around a 2.4GHz P4 on an Aopen AX45-533 U2 mobo, and RedHat
Linux 7.3.

When I use the pre-built 2.4.18-3 kernel, all works fine. However,
when I build a 2.4.19 ( or 2.4.18 for that matter ) kernel, using the
relevant Realtek 8100 drivers, I cannot use the network. I also note
that if I remove smp support from the kernel, it won't build!

Everything else works fine. I've done a literature search, and have
found that I'm not the first to have had this problem, but have found
no solutions.

Can anyone help?

TAI,

Steve

Post by anc » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:37:47

> Hi folks,

> I've just build up a system I'm going to use as a database server.
> It's based around a 2.4GHz P4 on an Aopen AX45-533 U2 mobo, and RedHat
> Linux 7.3.

> When I use the pre-built 2.4.18-3 kernel, all works fine. However,
> when I build a 2.4.19 ( or 2.4.18 for that matter ) kernel, using the
> relevant Realtek 8100 drivers, I cannot use the network. I also note
> that if I remove smp support from the kernel, it won't build!

> Everything else works fine. I've done a literature search, and have
> found that I'm not the first to have had this problem, but have found
> no solutions.

> Can anyone help?

> TAI,

> Steve

Make sure that if you have compiled the realtek drivers as a module, you
have done a make modules and make modules install. I would list modules
with your old kernel and new kernel and compare differences.

1. Networking ssues post RH 7.3 to RH 9.0

|The system responds to all request on LOCAL HOST (SMTP, HTTP, DNS)
|but network request on ETH0 are un answered.   Also PING fails to
|reach the gateway  or any other machine on the network.
|
|Any suggestions for fixing this would be appreciated.

Sounds like you have the firewall active. I don't use RH, but I'm sure
thre's a GUI tool to monitor and configure it.
--

2. Graphical front end for TeX?

3. Recompile kernel, Lose network

4. xephem on sunsite corrupt?

5. network gui tool RH 7.3

6. Help with Printer

7. RH 7.3 network install fails, NE2000, DHCP

8. Will i be able to install Linux with my DVD drive

9. RH 7.3 reboot needed after network disconnect.

10. Networking Trouble in RH 7.3

11. How to route between 2 networks (RH 7.3)?

12. HELP! - Configuring RH 7.3 with Wireless Networking

13. Kernel Panic with Promise FastTrak Lite and R.H. 7.1 (or just system hang with SuSE 7.3)