How to allow all users to have read/write permissions to DOS drives/partitions under Linux?

How to allow all users to have read/write permissions to DOS drives/partitions under Linux?

Post by Thomas A. Bon » Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

        How do I allow all users to have read/write permission for DOS drives
and partitions under Linux?  Is it also possible to only allow certain
users to have read/write permission?  Thanks!

                                Tom Bond

--
Realtime Software Solutions, Inc. Ph:1-716-467-8889
URL:http://realtime1.com

How to allow all users to have read/write permissions to DOS drives/partitions under Linux?

Post by Karsten M. Sel » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

You can specify r/w in your fstab.  If the drives are mountable by
users, you can add this option as well.

From my own /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc                  /mnt/cdrom                iso9660
user,noauto,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                  /mnt/floppy               vfat   user,noauto 0
0
/dev/hda7                 /mnt/hd                   vfat
user,noauto,ro 0 0

....user can mount CDRom, floppy, and a small DOS HD partition (used to
'talk' to NT).  Floppy is r/w, hd and CDRom are read-only (hd can be
configured rw, CD is a bit trickier).

More info: RTFM man 8 mount

> Hello,

>         How do I allow all users to have read/write permission for DOS drives
> and partitions under Linux?  Is it also possible to only allow certain
> users to have read/write permission?  Thanks!

>                                 Tom Bond

> --
> Realtime Software Solutions, Inc. Ph:1-716-467-8889
> URL:http://realtime1.com
> Services:Web Design, Document Conversion to HTML, Embedded Real-time
> Design
> Sponser: LINUX User's Group Of Rochester(LUGOR) URL:http://www.lugor.org

--

    Use address above, or edit spam trap
    from reply address,when responding.

    What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?

Post by Lars Torben Wilso » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> You can specify r/w in your fstab.  If the drives are mountable by
> users, you can add this option as well.

> From my own /etc/fstab:

> /dev/hdc                  /mnt/cdrom                iso9660
> user,noauto,ro 0 0
> /dev/fd0                  /mnt/floppy               vfat   user,noauto 0
> 0
> /dev/hda7                 /mnt/hd                   vfat
> user,noauto,ro 0 0

> ....user can mount CDRom, floppy, and a small DOS HD partition (used to
> 'talk' to NT).  Floppy is r/w, hd and CDRom are read-only (hd can be
> configured rw, CD is a bit trickier).

> More info: RTFM man 8 mount

> > Hello,

> >         How do I allow all users to have read/write permission for DOS drives
> > and partitions under Linux?  Is it also possible to only allow certain
> > users to have read/write permission?  Thanks!

> >                                 Tom Bond

Even more information is available in:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/vfat.txt

There are nifty things such as the option 'quiet', which can be added to
fstab with the other options, to prevent all those annoying 'Operation
not permitted' messages.

Lars Torben Wilson                     "Most people wouldn't know music if
student, Computer Science Dep't.        it came up and bit them on the ass."
University of Tampere, Finland                               - Frank Zappa

How to allow all users to have read/write permissions to DOS drives/partitions under Linux?

Post by Ben Cantrick (alias Macky Stingr » Sun, 28 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>    How do I allow all users to have read/write permission for DOS drives
>and partitions under Linux?  Is it also possible to only allow certain
>users to have read/write permission?  Thanks!

  What I did was this:

  A) Make a group for people who are allowed read/write access to
your DOS drives.

  B) In your /etc/fstab, in the options section, specify that your DOS
filesystems are to be mounted with group = the special group you made
and umask 007. This will allow read/write/execute for root [the owner]
and your special group [the group] but no permissions for anyone else.

  Here's the line I put in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1       /dosc   msdos   async,check=normal,nodev,noexec,nosuid,nouser,rw,gid=16,uid=0,umask=007 0 2

  And this is the relevant line in the /etc/group file:

*fs::16:root,mackys,cantrick

  As you can see, you need to create the group first so you know its
number. Then you can put that number in the /etc/fstab file.

  The nodev, nosuid and nouser options are there for paranoia value. The
"rw" option is there so you can read and write to the dos drives,
obviously. The async is there because that's in the "defaults," so I
figured it was a good idea. check=normal prevents you from writing long
unix-style filenames or filenames with spaces in them to the DOS partitions,
which is a good thing.

  The only thing to be aware of when doing this is that there's no
such thing as permissions on an MSDOS filesystem. So when you copy
stuff there, you'll sometime get a "cannot" error when it tries to
set the permissions identical to the copied file. Ignore those
errors, they're not important.

          -Ben
--
     "BGC: Because some of us believe women over 14 are still *."
=---------     http://www.veryComputer.com/~cantrick/home.html     -------------=

1. Allowing users to write on mounted DOS partitions and floppys

Hello everybody.

I'm having difficulties finding a good way to allow regular users to
write on mounted dos partitions and floppys.
I mount my dos drives under /mnt/dosc and /mnt/dosd, so what permissions
should these directory entrys have? And owner? Group? Sometimes I unmount
these partitions, and I don't want permissions that gives the user the
right to delete the entry when it's not mounted.

So could somebody please tell me how the /dev/hda2 (dos C:), /dev/hda7
(dos d:), /mnt/dosc and /mnt/dosd entries should look like? And floppys:
how should their entries look (/dev/fd0* and /mnt/floppy) to allow users
to write to the floppy, and preferrably also be able to format floppys,
using the command "fdformat /dev/fd0H1440 ; mformat a:". The formatting
thing is no must, but would be nice.

Muchos thanks in advance.

/Tomas Halvarsson

"Only the paranoid survive"

www:    http://www.pobox.com/~psycho

Student at the Department of Computing Science, Umea University, Sweden

2. Extended partition question

3. Mounting dos partition with global read/write permissions?

4. graphical partition info

5. Allowing users to read/write/execute on Win95 partition

6. install v5.0 on PCI

7. read/write permission for users on MSDOS partition?

8. Sendmail problems...

9. write permission dos-partition

10. How to allow a user to write to win98 partition?

11. Allowing all users to access and write to a partition

12. Anyone having trouble installing Linux on a drive using EZ Drive should read this post.

13. setting read write permissions to a windows partition