How to backgroud some software!!!

Post by Q.W » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 10:55:56

Hi,
I will backgroud some software,I use & but it didn't have a affect,could you
tell me ?

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:24:12

> Hi,
> I will backgroud some software,I use & but it didn't have a affect,could you
> tell me ?

What are you trying to run in the background?  Is it anything that needs a
controlling terminal or DISPLAY or screen output that needs to go
somewhere?  How do you know it is not working?  Do you get an error or
does it not show up in 'ps aux'?

A simple example to run netscape from an xterm is:

netscape &

which would run netscape and return you to a prompt in the xterm.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

How to backgroud some software!!!

Post by Q.W » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 11:46:36

This is my running info:

[6] 7193

<Jul 14, 2001 10:44:27 AM CST> <Info> <Security> <Getting boot password from
user.>
Enter password to boot WebLogic server:manager1234
bash: manager1234: command not found

[6]+  Stopped (tty input)     ./startWebLogic.sh

I cann't use his web console.

Post by Q.W » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:21:19

> > Hi,
> > I will backgroud some software,I use & but it didn't have a affect,could
you
> > tell me ?

> What are you trying to run in the background?  Is it anything that needs a
> controlling terminal or DISPLAY or screen output that needs to go
> somewhere?

Yes,I needs controlling-terminal or DISPLAY or screen output that needs to
go somewhere.
I check ps aux,and find process is up,but cann't control terminal.
Quote:> How do you know it is not working?  Do you get an error or
> does it not show up in 'ps aux'?

> A simple example to run netscape from an xterm is:

> netscape &

> which would run netscape and return you to a prompt in the xterm.

> --
> David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

1. xterm backgroud?

(...)

Eterm loads almost every known image format as background

ftp://ftp.mandrake.net/pub/Eterm/

you also need Enlightenments ImLib

ftp://ftp.mandrake.net/pub/imlib/

and ImageMagick (comes with most Linux distributions)

ftp://ftp.wizards.dupont.com/pub/ImageMagick/linux/
or
ftp://ftp.mandrake.net/pub/ImageMagick/

-Harald

2. fork() and vfork()

3. HELP:Want to know when backgroud process ended

4. RCS and Makefiles

5. csh backgroud write problem

6. Help needed with killing process group

7. Console shell running in backgroud

8. UUCP/UUCICO Failure? - SOLVED!

9. nice backgroud

10. Mesg to tty in backgroud jobs

11. backgroud process dead

12. Is there mail client to run in backgroud.

13. Backgroud Execution