reinstalling win95 killed my lilo boot stuff?!?!

reinstalling win95 killed my lilo boot stuff?!?!

Post by Bradley Wyma » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

ok, im sure its happened to alot of other people.
i had to re install win95 and it killed my lilo boot stuff,
question is how do i get it back?
im running redhat 4.1 on hdb2 and win95 on hda1. i can get the image
flopys to boot in rescue and mount /dev/hdb2 almost anywhere i want it
to, but nothing i can find seem to work. is there anyone out there that
can e-mail me the 'easy' way of fixing this headach?

brad wyman

Post by Dan » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> ok, im sure its happened to alot of other people.
> i had to re install win95 and it killed my lilo boot stuff,
> question is how do i get it back?
> im running redhat 4.1 on hdb2 and win95 on hda1. i can get the image
> flopys to boot in rescue and mount /dev/hdb2 almost anywhere i want it
> to, but nothing i can find seem to work. is there anyone out there that
> can e-mail me the 'easy' way of fixing this headach?

> brad wyman

It's pretty simple, actually.  Insert your setup disk, and reboot.  when
you get the boot: prompt, type "linux root=/dev/hdb2 ro".  This will
boot you to a "normal" system.  Once you log in as root, just type
"lilo" to reinstall lilo to your mbr.

From: Gruber Gerhard
Group: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 00:41:24 -0500:

Quote:>ok, im sure its happened to alot of other people.
>i had to re install win95 and it killed my lilo boot stuff,
>question is how do i get it back?

Had the same problem. Use Loadlin. I keep Loadlin now in case I want to switch
to linux without rebooting.

---
best regards
   Gerhard Gruber

FIDO:  2:310/81.11

Spelling corrections are appreciated.
Spamprotection ----

Remove .net from my adress to reach me via email.

Please don't follow the advice in the above lines. I hope
that this will cause AI spammers to cripple my email adress
so that their spam bounces. My email adress is still valid.

reinstalling win95 killed my lilo boot stuff?!?!

Post by shegg » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

On Thu, 08 May 1997 00:41:24 -0500, Bradley Wyman

>ok, im sure its happened to alot of other people.
>i had to re install win95 and it killed my lilo boot stuff,
>question is how do i get it back?

just boot into linux either using a kernel disk or a rescue disk and
type

lilo

that should restore it because all of your lilo.conf settings should
still be intact, trust me i have done it about 3 times :P

1. Linux fails to boot after dual-booting Windows 95;Reinstall LILO and it works again!?

Hi,
        Has anybody ever had problems booting Linux after exiting
Windows 95 on a dual boot system using LILO?

I had a perfectly working dual boot system (Debian 2.0 / Win95) a few
days ago but after I installed a US Robotics 56k Plug N Play external
modem under Linux and then Win95 (both without problems) I couldn't
boot Linux off the hard-drive when the last boot-up was to Windows
95...

I don't think LILO is really failing since I get almost all the way
through the boot sequence before the computer simply resets itself
(like someone pushed the Reset switch) at the 'Loading vfat' line and
I am left watching the BIOS bootup screens.

So the order of events is like this:
1. Turn on machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
2. Choose Windows 95; Win95 boots correctly.
3. Shut down Win95; Reboot machine; Get LILO boot: prompt.
4. Choose Linux; Watch boot messages (gets past HDD detection,
mounting drives, fsck)
5. Machine reboots itself when loadable modules line is displayed
6. Insert Linux bootable floppy made during inital installation.
7. Boot again; No LILO prompt (from hard-drive).
8. Boot correctly all the way.
9. Reinstall LILO; Reboot machine; Get LILO prompt.
10. Choose Linux; Boot correctly all the way.

This is so strange since this system worked perfectly before I
installed the 56k modem, which works great under both OS's! Why would
re-installing LILO fix the Loading vfat module problem? What does a
modem have to do with LILO?

Please give me any advice you can, I am losing my mind...

Thanks in advance,
Eric Hardwick

2. KDE2, RedHatv6.1 and icon problems.

3. HELP!: Lost LILO after reinstalling Win95

4. finding the current socket of your telnet session

5. reinstalled win95 -- lilo gone

6. FreeBSD 3.3 with TCP_Wrappers 7.6 question

7. Remove LILO, and reinstall Win95's MBR?

8. test

9. How to reinstall LILO after Win95

10. reinstalling win95, cofig LILO

11. Win95 Restore; Reinstall LILO

12. I reinstalled Win95 and LILO is GONE??

13. LILO+BM+Win95 mostly ok, 2nd LILO hosed by booting Linux?