PS/2 mouse not working

Post by Chuck Hube » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I've searched several sources to no avail.  Thus, this posting.

I have RH5.1, 2.0.34 kernel and used to have everything working,
including the serial mouse.  I recently upgraded the motherboard which
has an on-board PS/2 mouse.  I went through mouseconfig and
Xconfigurator, and even edited XF86Config manually, each time selecting
a different mouse protocol.  All to no avail.

When I try to run "gpm -t ps2", it reports "gmp: /dev/mouse: Operation
not supported by device", noting that /dev/mouse is soft-linked to
/dev/psaux.  A "cat </dev/psaux" yeilds the same message.

"cat /proc/devices"  shows the following character devices: mem, pty,
ttyp, ttyp, cua, vcs, and misc.  Major device 10 (/dev/psaux) shows up
as "misc".

Ideas?

Thanks,
    - Chuck

PS/2 mouse not working

Post by Nick Hadlo » Thu, 18 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I've searched several sources to no avail.  Thus, this posting.

>I have RH5.1, 2.0.34 kernel and used to have everything working,
>including the serial mouse.  I recently upgraded the motherboard which
>has an on-board PS/2 mouse.  I went through mouseconfig and
>Xconfigurator, and even edited XF86Config manually, each time selecting
>a different mouse protocol.  All to no avail.

>When I try to run "gpm -t ps2", it reports "gmp: /dev/mouse: Operation
>not supported by device", noting that /dev/mouse is soft-linked to
>/dev/psaux.  A "cat </dev/psaux" yeilds the same message.

>"cat /proc/devices"  shows the following character devices: mem, pty,
>ttyp, ttyp, cua, vcs, and misc.  Major device 10 (/dev/psaux) shows up
>as "misc".

>Ideas?

>Thanks,
>    - Chuck

I fixed this (having first tried much the same things as Chuck) by the
rather non-technical means of running XF86Setup rather than xf86config.

It worked, so I didn't argue with it.

Please note that this was after I'd got an otherwise OK X installation
using xf86config - also that I was using RH 5.2

Note also that I've only been using Linux since last Saturday so I may
not know what I'm talking about:-)
--
Nick Hadlow, UK