Problems whit Redhat 6.2 installation

Post by Luke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a PC whit ASUS P3BF motherboard and a UltraDMA66 hard-disk connected
to the board whit a UltraDMA PCI card.  I'm not able to install Linux
(Redhat 6.2): when I have to decide what kind of installation I want (GNOME,
KDE, server or custom) I get a message that says: "An error has occurred. No
valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check
your hardware for the cause of this problem". None of the above installation
will do the job. Could it be a problem that Linux can't  recognize  my
UltraDMA card? Or maybe a mistake whit my previous cration of a Linux
partition whit Partition Magic?
Thanks in advance.

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a PC whit ASUS P3BF motherboard and a UltraDMA66 hard-disk connected
> to the board whit a UltraDMA PCI card.  I'm not able to install Linux
> (Redhat 6.2): when I have to decide what kind of installation I want (GNOME,
> KDE, server or custom) I get a message that says: "An error has occurred. No
> valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check
> your hardware for the cause of this problem". None of the above installation
> will do the job. Could it be a problem that Linux can't  recognize  my
> UltraDMA card? Or maybe a mistake whit my previous cration of a Linux
> partition whit Partition Magic?
> Thanks in advance.

It's the first thing you thought, Linux doesn't support (all/any? of)
the UDMA 66 controllers right out of the box. Go to the RH site and try
to find a driver for your card. One other question, before you continue,
can your BIOS boot from this HDD after you've installed? If it is your
only HDD, it would be problematic to boot in that case, as you would
need a floppy to boot from.

Eric

Post by Luigi Pasciut » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I have a PC whit ASUS P3BF motherboard and a UltraDMA66 hard-disk connected
> > to the board whit a UltraDMA PCI card.  I'm not able to install Linux
> > (Redhat 6.2): when I have to decide what kind of installation I want (GNOME,
> > KDE, server or custom) I get a message that says: "An error has occurred. No
> > valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check
> > your hardware for the cause of this problem". None of the above installation
> > will do the job. Could it be a problem that Linux can't  recognize  my
> > UltraDMA card? Or maybe a mistake whit my previous cration of a Linux
> > partition whit Partition Magic?
> > Thanks in advance.

> It's the first thing you thought, Linux doesn't support (all/any? of)
> the UDMA 66 controllers right out of the box. Go to the RH site and try
> to find a driver for your card. One other question, before you continue,
> can your BIOS boot from this HDD after you've installed? If it is your
> only HDD, it would be problematic to boot in that case, as you would
> need a floppy to boot from.

So, at the moment it's not possible to install/boot Linux on an ultra66
hd
connected to an ultra66 controller (on pci card or integrated in the
motherboard) ???

And what about if I connect an ultra66 hd to a ultra33 controller (like
the one
provided by the ASUS P3B-F mobo) ?

Bye

Quote:

--
Luigi

Problems whit Redhat 6.2 installation

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > I have a PC whit ASUS P3BF motherboard and a UltraDMA66 hard-disk connected
> > > to the board whit a UltraDMA PCI card.  I'm not able to install Linux
> > > (Redhat 6.2): when I have to decide what kind of installation I want (GNOME,
> > > KDE, server or custom) I get a message that says: "An error has occurred. No
> > > valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check
> > > your hardware for the cause of this problem". None of the above installation
> > > will do the job. Could it be a problem that Linux can't  recognize  my
> > > UltraDMA card? Or maybe a mistake whit my previous cration of a Linux
> > > partition whit Partition Magic?
> > > Thanks in advance.

> > It's the first thing you thought, Linux doesn't support (all/any? of)
> > the UDMA 66 controllers right out of the box. Go to the RH site and try
> > to find a driver for your card. One other question, before you continue,
> > can your BIOS boot from this HDD after you've installed? If it is your
> > only HDD, it would be problematic to boot in that case, as you would
> > need a floppy to boot from.

> So, at the moment it's not possible to install/boot Linux on an ultra66
> hd
> connected to an ultra66 controller (on pci card or integrated in the
> motherboard) ???

> And what about if I connect an ultra66 hd to a ultra33 controller (like
> the one
> provided by the ASUS P3B-F mobo) ?

I did not say that it was not possible.
Make a driver disc, and it will be possible.

I don't know if your controller is supported, nor if you can boot from
it (a BIOS issue)

Eric

1. Problems whit Redhat 6.2 installation

I have a PC whit ASUS P3BF motherboard and a UltraDMA66 hard-disk connected
to the board whit a UltraDMA PCI card.  I'm not able to install Linux
(Redhat 6.2): when I have to decide what kind of installation I want (GNOME,
KDE, server or custom) I get a message that says: "An error has occurred. No
valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems. Please check
your hardware for the cause of this problem". None of the above installation
will do the job. Could it be a problem that Linux can't  recognize  my
UltraDMA card? Or maybe a mistake whit my previous cration of a Linux
partition whit Partition Magic?
Thanks in advance.

2. bash grammar

3. Install redhat 6.2 whit 2.3.3 kernel

4. Migrating Palm MacPac files to Linux?

5. HDS X Terminal - Lost Password

6. Redhat 6.2 Installation problem

7. Different wall papers in WindowMaker?

8. RedHat 6.2 POP3 Server Installation Problem

9. problems with installation of redhat 6.2

10. Problem to boot after RedHat 6.2 Installation

11. Problem in RedHat 6.2 installation

12. Oracle 8.1.5 installation problem Redhat 6.2