Module Compile Problems - Experts only apply here.

Module Compile Problems - Experts only apply here.

Post by Thad Rollin » Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00

I have what seems like a difficult problem.  I have been at this for a week
or so and have read every How-To, man page and help text possible.  Here is
the situation: I am trying to compile the kernel (2.0.30) and for kicks I
have only three modules created - fat.o, msdos.o and vfat.o.  I do the 'make
dep', 'make clean' and 'make zImage'.  I then blow away /lib/modules/2.0.30
and do the 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'.
But still I get the following error after a 'depmod -a':
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.30/fs/fat.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.30/fs/msdos.o
*** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.30/fs/vfat.o
What is strange is that I can get at my Win95 (sorry) partition.
Can anyone help with some advice or a good place to get detailed info?  Any
help emailed directly to me would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Thad Rolling

Post by Natha » Wed, 29 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> have only three modules created - fat.o, msdos.o and vfat.o.  I do the 'make
> dep', 'make clean' and 'make zImage'.  I then blow away /lib/modules/2.0.30
> and do the 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'.
> But still I get the following error after a 'depmod -a':
> *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.30/fs/fat.o
> *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.30/fs/msdos.o
> *** Unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.30/fs/vfat.o
> What is strange is that I can get at my Win95 (sorry) partition.
> Can anyone help with some advice or a good place to get detailed info?  Any
> help emailed directly to me would be greatly appreciated

Follow these steps and you should be OK:

1) run 'make config' and specify what you want to be loaded as a module (i.e.
fat, msdos, and vfat)
2) run 'make dep ; make clean' to make sure dependencies are set up correctly
3) run 'make zImage' (maybe play a game of tetris in an alternate VC)
4) run 'rm -R /lib/modules ; mkdir /lib/modules'
5) run 'make modules ; make modules_install'
--- it sounds like this is as far as you have done already ---
6) cd into the /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot directory, and 'mv zImage
/zImage.modules'
7) cd into /etc and edit your lilo.conf, and make the following changes:

- in the section that affects the current kernel, change the label from 'linux'
to 'backup'
- make a copy of the section mentioned above, change the label back to 'linux',
and change the boot image from /zImage to /zImage.modules

8) save changes, and run 'lilo'.
9) If lilo doesn't give you any errors, reboot.

NOTE: it's safe to say 'm' to anything EXCEPT "a.out executables", "ELF
executables," and "ext2 filesystem," because kernel support for these is kinda
necessary to run the boot scripts.  You might want to move the call to
'rc.modules' into your rc.S so it gets executed sooner, otherwise the modules
won't be loaded in time for the /etc/fstab to be processed.

1. asynchronous i/o problem Oracle / Solaris (EXPERTS APPLY WITHIN)

Hi,

I've had a problem with a hanging database for some months and it is
becoming more frequent (dbase hangs, cannot connect other than sys and
generates no log / trace files etc.).

The database is an 8.1.7.4 instance running on Solaris 9.0.4 (problem
also occurred on Solaris 7).

A consulant recently took me he thinks the issue may be linked to log
file sync's and Solaris asynchronous i/o. We turned off Oracle
asynchronous i/o (in init ora) and the problem still occurred.

When the dbase was in a hung state, I captured the output from the
Oracle LGWR process  with Solaris truss. It seemed to show that the
process was writing in a continuous loop and thus not to disk resulting
in the instance totally locking up.

I've been suggested to look at the asynchronous i/o setup on the
Solaris sparc box.

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestion as to how I should
approach this?

Best regards
John

2. passwd-

3. problem compiling modules from modules.tar.gz

4. Looking for some Linux suggestions ...

5. Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

6. gcc headache

7. Diald Compile Problem Under RH 5.1 w/updates applied.

8. Call for Papers: IEEE RTAS '03

9. Year 2000 patch: to apply or not to apply?

10. What "module license" applies to public domain code?

11. Scanner to determine which modules apply in kernel

12. Applying PAM modules only to certain users?

13. Redhat 5.1 - ANSWERS - compile kernel, modules, /lib/modules/preferred