Sound: a plea for help

Post by Jason Carle » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi guys.  I have been trying for a long time to get my Awe 64 running
under SuSE 6.1.

I have compiled the kernel with sound support but get action not
suported by device messages whenever I try to cat a sound file to
/dev/sound or /dev/dsp.  Something is still wrong.  I have read all
howtos but still can't work it out.  The output from cat /dev/sndstat is
below.  Could it be a isapnp type problem, I haven't set that up yet?

Any help greatly appreciated,
Jason.

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux home 2.2.6 #6 Sun Jun 20 17:28:50 EST 1999 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5)
(SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
(OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

Audio devices:

Synth devices:

Midi devices:

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

Sound: a plea for help

Post by Alan Bumpu » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Try the OSS package that came with SuSE. I used it to install my SB 16 PNP.
Check the documentation to see if your card is supported. Then follow the
install directions. I know for mine i had to recompile the kerrnel with no
sound support and isapnp disabled.

al

Quote:> Hi guys.  I have been trying for a long time to get my Awe 64 running
> under SuSE 6.1.

> I have compiled the kernel with sound support but get action not
> suported by device messages whenever I try to cat a sound file to
> /dev/sound or /dev/dsp.  Something is still wrong.  I have read all
> howtos but still can't work it out.  The output from cat /dev/sndstat is
> below.  Could it be a isapnp type problem, I haven't set that up yet?

> Any help greatly appreciated,
> Jason.

> OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
> Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
> Kernel: Linux home 2.2.6 #6 Sun Jun 20 17:28:50 EST 1999 i686
> Config options: 0

> Installed drivers:
> Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
> Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
> Type 2: Sound Blaster
> Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
> Type 7: SB MPU-401

> Card config:
> (Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5)
> (SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
> (OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

> Audio devices:

> Synth devices:

> Midi devices:

> Timers:
> 0: System clock

> Mixers:

Sound: a plea for help

Post by Jay Daniel » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi guys.  I have been trying for a long time to get my Awe 64 running
> under SuSE 6.1.

> I have compiled the kernel with sound support but get action not
> suported by device messages whenever I try to cat a sound file to
> /dev/sound or /dev/dsp.  Something is still wrong.  I have read all
> howtos but still can't work it out.  The output from cat /dev/sndstat is
> below.  Could it be a isapnp type problem, I haven't set that up yet?

> Any help greatly appreciated,
> Jason.

> OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
> Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
> Kernel: Linux home 2.2.6 #6 Sun Jun 20 17:28:50 EST 1999 i686
> Config options: 0

> Installed drivers:
> Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
> Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
> Type 2: Sound Blaster
> Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
> Type 7: SB MPU-401

> Card config:
> (Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5)
> (SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
> (OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

> Audio devices:

> Synth devices:

> Midi devices:

> Timers:
> 0: System clock

> Mixers:

I think the default for MPU irq was -1

This may disable or set to emulate mpu but anyway it worked for me.

       "Captain, I just uploaded a virus called Windows to the
        Klingon computer system."
                                                      -Spock
Jay Daniels            Pc-Technical Services