dircolors (Color ls) in Redhat?

Post by Paul Engli » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

ARgh! I download and fix ALL the bugs in redhat in a matter of minutes, but
it takes me hours to fail to get dircolors working. I used the "linux tips"
on the redhat web pages to discover that I had to do eval `dircolors`
that didn't do anything. According to rpm, my installed version of ls IS color
ls, and there don't appear to be any upgrade rpms anywhere for color ls.
/etc/DIR_COLORS is present.. hmm.. eval 'dircolors'just echos what all the
colors are supposed to be.. what should I do?
        Paul

dircolors (Color ls) in Redhat?

Post by David Manda » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

If your using the new 4.0 Redhat all you need to do is ls --color and it
works. I added an alias so I did not have to type it all the time. The eval
`dircolors` was for the 3.0.3 release I think.

>ARgh! I download and fix ALL the bugs in redhat in a matter of minutes, but
>it takes me hours to fail to get dircolors working. I used the "linux tips"
>on the redhat web pages to discover that I had to do eval `dircolors`
>that didn't do anything. According to rpm, my installed version of ls IS color
>ls, and there don't appear to be any upgrade rpms anywhere for color ls.
>/etc/DIR_COLORS is present.. hmm.. eval 'dircolors'just echos what all the
>colors are supposed to be.. what should I do?
>        Paul

/*************************************************************
 David Mandala      Them Productions       San Francisco, CA

*************************************************************/

dircolors (Color ls) in Redhat?

Post by Paul Engli » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: If your using the new 4.0 Redhat all you need to do is ls --color and it
: works. I added an alias so I did not have to type it all the time. The eval
: `dircolors` was for the 3.0.3 release I think.

That works great in Redhat 4.0, thanks!  Looks like Redhat needs to update it's
documentation some.. :-)
        Paul

dircolors (Color ls) in Redhat?

Its actually in their manual that comes with the 4.0 package!

/*************************************************************

Post by John Kenne » Wed, 30 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>  If your using the new 4.0 Redhat all you need to do is ls --color and
>  it works. I added an alias so I did not have to type it all the time.
>  The eval `dircolors` was for the 3.0.3 release I think.

  I just hacked ls to that if you had environment variables set by
`dircolors` in memory it would default to --color (tty) behavior.

1. colored ls output and dircolors

I just installed the debian version from the new Infomagic CD set and I
set up dircolors (it isn't by default) but it still won't recognize any
filename extensions and I can't find any significant differences between
my present /etc/DIR_COLORS and my old one. Also, neither have ever
recognized orphan links even when I reverse the color codes so they're
the right way. Is this endemic to debian? How do I fix it? Does redhat's
dircolors have no problem?

please email also
--
Capitalism promises exploitation and efficient distribution of goods. But
software doesn't need to be distributed (it propagates like fire) and any

2. glob

3. ls and dircolors problem

4. ANN: Discus 2.1 Moderated Discussion Board

5. Aixterm, GNU ls and dircolor

6. color_xterm problem

7. ls color highlighting as in the ls command in the slackware distribution

8. Would you like to work on a Website?

9. alias ls='ls -a --color=auto'

10. Caldera: replacing ls with color-ls

11. Color ls in RedHat 5.0?

12. RedHat 4.1 and Color LS?

13. How to setup Color-ls under Redhat 5.1?