Please help ignorant newbie!

Post by Kenneth Kellu » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

This is, I think, a Unix question, but I don't know where else to post
it.

I'm trying to install a software package, Maple, from a cdrom.  As per
the
instructions, as root, I mounted the cdrom, made a new directory, cd'd
the new directory, and, as instructed, tried to run a script on the cd:

/cdrom/install

I don't understand the error message I get:  "Permission denied"

How can root not have permission to execute a program?

Thanks for any help.

Please help ignorant newbie!

Post by L. Friedma » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
    This is only a guess.  Maple is a commerical package.  Perhaps you
need some kind of media key?

-L

Post by John Thompso » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> This is, I think, a Unix question, but I don't know where else to post
> it.

> I'm trying to install a software package, Maple, from a cdrom.  As per
> the
> instructions, as root, I mounted the cdrom, made a new directory, cd'd
> the new directory, and, as instructed, tried to run a script on the cd:

> /cdrom/install

> I don't understand the error message I get:  "Permission denied"

> How can root not have permission to execute a program?

Are you mounting the cd device with execute permission?

--

Please help ignorant newbie!

Post by CZ » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

[snip]

Quote:> the new directory, and, as instructed, tried to run a script on the cd:

> /cdrom/install

> I don't understand the error message I get:  "Permission denied"

I believe it has to do with the way you are mounting the cd-rom.  I
guess it's for security reasons but, by default on my system, the cd
drive was mounted such that it was impossible to execute progs directly
on the cd.  To modify this behavior, I edited /etc/fstab and included
the 'exec' option in the line which relates to the cd-rom.  Something
like this:

/dev/hdb       /mnt/cdrom       iso9660      ro,user,exec,noauto 0
0

Hope it helps
CZ

Please help ignorant newbie!

Thanks to all who replied.  This was the solution.

--

Kenneth R. Kellum           Powered by SuSE Linux 6.1

Post by Manuel Monteir » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> This is, I think, a Unix question, but I don't know where else to post
> it.

> I'm trying to install a software package, Maple, from a cdrom.  As per
> the
> instructions, as root, I mounted the cdrom, made a new directory, cd'd
> the new directory, and, as instructed, tried to run a script on the cd:

> /cdrom/install

> I don't understand the error message I get:  "Permission denied"

> How can root not have permission to execute a program?

> Thanks for any help.

The cdrom is readonly if the script tries to write on it that message
will apear.