2.4 and mountd,nfsd RPC timeout

Post by Brando » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:52:16

Hi there,

I just compiled kernel 2.4 on my slack 7 machine, and suddenly mountd
and nfsd fail on startup.  The exact messages are both: "Cannot register
service: RPC: Timed out"  Now, I don't use NFS, and I think both of
those daemons are only important to NFS, so I suppose with some
tinkering I could figure out how to remove them, but I'd really like to
know what caused the problem.  Did I not include something in the kernel
build, or are the daemons imcompatible with 2.4?

On a related note, my video driver (nvidia's NVdriver, patched and
recompiled for 2.4) suddenly ceased to work after the upgrade too,
needing dependencies: __vmalloc, irq_stat, and a couple others.

Thanks,
Brandon

1. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

[Q2] Stupid but non-FAQ NFS question #2:
Thanks for the help of finding out the rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rcp.nfsd.
Still, after reading the NFS-FAQ, Linux Network Admin Guide, none of these guys
seem to work at all.  I still get the message of RPC fault: program is not
registered.  I guess I really need a cookbook example.

Let's say I have machines A and B which both of them can telnet and ftp to each
other.  In other words, they are properly connected.  Now, this is how I did.
I add three statements at the begninning of the rc.inet2 at machine A:

/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
/bin/mount -t nfs B:/home /mnt

Then, I add /mnt B[rw] at /etc/exports at machine A.
Then, reboot machine A, and it prompts RPC fault: program is not registered.
Can anyone provide me an idiot-proof way of attacking this?  Thanks.
BTW, someone mention "premeter".  What is that?

--

Salem

2. "make config" file error

3. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

4. Where can I find the FAQ for this group?

5. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

6. Multicastin and PPP

7. rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd won't start from rsh

8. Trouble with cy driver

9. pre2.0.7-8 break rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

10. RH-6.1: rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd NOT running!

11. rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd killed and restarting automatically

12. rpc.mountd/rcp.nfsd problems