TNT and 32 bit color

Post by Jake Richard » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello:
  I am trying to get my RedHat 5.2 installation to get my TNT card into
more than just 8 bit color.  I can go from 640x480 up to 1280x1024 in 8
bit color but what i really want is 32 bit color.  This may seem stupid
but how do i get 32 bit color?  I have d/l the RPM's from redhat to get
my xserver up to 3.3.3.1 and the svga server up to 3.3.3.1 BUT I got a
lot of conflicts when    rpm -Uvh 'd the xserver and it didn't install.
The svga server did install fine though.  Is this my problem or should i
edit something in that pesky xf86config file or something?  Thanks!

Jake Richards

TNT and 32 bit color

Post by None » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

use startx -- -bpp 32  viola, 32 bit color.

You have to use xsvga (that't the thing you call xserver) version  >=
3.3.3.1 and manually set color depth to 32 in that pesky xf86config
file.

Hello:
  I am trying to get my RedHat 5.2 installation to get my TNT card into
more than just 8 bit color.  I can go from 640x480 up to 1280x1024 in 8
bit color but what i really want is 32 bit color.  This may seem stupid
but how do i get 32 bit color?  I have d/l the RPM's from redhat to get
my xserver up to 3.3.3.1 and the svga server up to 3.3.3.1 BUT I got a
lot of conflicts when    rpm -Uvh 'd the xserver and it didn't install.
The svga server did install fine though.  Is this my problem or should i

edit something in that pesky xf86config file or something?  Thanks!

1. X Apps using color tables running on 32 bit color

I need info on how Linux (maybe this is a generic X win question) allows
apps to run that use XAllocColors and color tables.  The problem that I
have is this X app (motif really, hosted on another platform, using
Linux as the display) is requesting some colors, but refuses to run when
the display is my Linux box.  The XAllocColors call fails to allocate
the needed number of colors.  At first, I thought that maybe it has a
problem because my Display had a color depth of 32 bits, and was
confusing the app.  Changing the color depth in XF86Config to 8 bits
didn't work either.

Anyone know of a good web resouce that discusses X color problems?

Thanks,
Larry Richardson

2. Getting connected to NET using your friendly neighbourhood ISP

3. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

4. Apache on FreeBSD or Linux 2.4?

5. Setting X to display in 16, 24, and 32 bit color mode.

6. Does FreeBSD support Duron?

7. 24/32 bits color w/ Stealth 3D

8. libmtsk ERROR while loading a so

9. XDM - 32 Bit color

10. How to boot into X with 16/24/32 bit colour?

11. GeForce DDR in 32-bit color?

12. 16/24/32 bit color in X - How?

13. Strange Graphic Overlaps in 16,32 bit color depths