changing default security settings RH8.0

changing default security settings RH8.0

Post by umang kuma » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:15:20

Hi
Is there a way to alter the security settings after the install is complete?

I mean, if I chose "Medium Security" during install can I alter it to "No firewall" once the system is up and running?

Does NOT seem to work..I am running RH8.0 ....
I do not think I have been able to change the security settings thru the GUI or lokkitool..
which files are to be altered if I do so manually??

among other things ypbind fails to start because of the security level.
Of course I could re-install...

Any clues/hints would be appreciated.
TIA
Umang

Post by CrayzeeWul » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:47:17

> I mean, if I chose "Medium Security" during install can I alter it to
> "No firewall" once the system is up and running?

RTFM:

{http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide/

Quote:> Does NOT seem to work..I am running RH8.0 ....

What does not seem to work ? What did you do ? Describe in detail along
with any messages that you see on the screen...verbatim.

--
CrayzeeWulf

Post by Davi » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:13:00

> Hi
> Is there a way to alter the security settings after the install is complete?

> I mean, if I chose "Medium Security" during install can I alter it to "No firewall" once the system is up and running?

> Does NOT seem to work..I am running RH8.0 ....
> I do not think I have been able to change the security settings thru the GUI or lokkitool..
> which files are to be altered if I do so manually??

> among other things ypbind fails to start because of the security level.
> Of course I could re-install...

If you want to change the firewall settings that you made during the
install you should be able to do it as root and running "setup" in
an xterm and choose Firewall Configuration.

At least it works that wau in RH 7.3
--
   Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.

Post by Paul Lutu » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 08:24:12

> Hi
> Is there a way to alter the security settings after the install is
> complete?

Yes. Just run "lokkit" as root. Change the settings, choose "OK".

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com

changing default security settings RH8.0

Post by Anka » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 23:28:19

Quote:> Hi
> Is there a way to alter the security settings after the install is
> complete?

> I mean, if I chose "Medium Security" during install can I alter it to "No
> firewall" once the system is up and running?

> Does NOT seem to work..I am running RH8.0 ....
> I do not think I have been able to change the security settings thru the
> GUI or lokkitool.. which files are to be altered if I do so manually??

> among other things ypbind fails to start because of the security level.
> Of course I could re-install...

> Any clues/hints would be appreciated.
> TIA
> Umang

I also have Redhat 8.0 and I have had some problems with changing the level
of security into this os. So I don't think this firewall is very good.
I think that the best resolution it's to write a program which uses iptables
and then you will know exactly how you firewall works. I've done it and now
my firewall works exactly as I wanted.

greetings
Anka

1. Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

We are running OS 5.0.2 at security level High. However we wanted to
relax some of the password defaults. This is referred to in the
manuals.  I did this via USERMOD & changed

passwdMinChangeTime from 14 to 1 day
passwdExpirationTime from 42 to 30 days
passwdChooseOwn - now set to yes
passwdRunGenerator - now set to no
passwdCheckedForObviousness - now set to no

These automatically updated the file  etc/auth/system/default
& looked fine.  However not all the changes were refelected in
SCOADMIN:.  When you add a new user via Scoadmin
Account Manager, the defaults for User can run generator and Check for

Obviousness still shows the default of 'Yes'.  User Can Pick Own has
succesfully been changed to 'Yes' i.e. the changes from No to Yes
worked but not vice versa.  The numbers for expiry and change
intervals are fine.

ANY IDEAS?!!  This is pretty frustrating.

Zelda.

UK

2. Networking Linux and DOS

3. SCO OSR5 - Security Defaults cannot be changed properly

4. AHA 2940 won`t work ?

5. Changing my default gateway setting in SCO 3.2 v 4.2: How?

6. XDM with shadow support ?

7. changing tty default settings

8. bash

9. LILO: How to change the default setting

10. Changing default settings on ACL???

11. how do i change my default resolution setting on sunray appliance

12. Need to change default setting on tty ports

13. Changing SHMSEG default settings