Red Hat Linux PPP dial-up question

Post by Robert Luk » Sun, 22 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I'm a newbie to Linux and am trying to figure out how to dial into
my ISP.  I've read on a site that RH has an X-windows configured PPP
dial up system, but haven't been able to find it.  If this animal
exists, could somebody tell me the name?

TIA.
-Robert
--
Robert Luke

Red Hat Linux PPP dial-up question

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 23 Feb 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi, I'm a newbie to Linux and am trying to figure out how to dial into
> my ISP.  I've read on a site that RH has an X-windows configured PPP
> dial up system, but haven't been able to find it.  If this animal
> exists, could somebody tell me the name?

As root in an xterm, type "control-panel" to open the control panel applet
(or it comes up when you enter X as root, I believe).  Select from the
options the networking setup.  PPP is one of several types of links you
can set up.  I don't recall the details, but a bit of browsing should at
least find it for you.

Personally, I like X-ISP, http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras/, which can be used
with any distribution.  It provides some useful additional information and
options, like a display of the PPP uptime, connect speed, and IP address,
as well as the ability to auto-dial through a sequence of numbers (in case
your ISP has several dialups and the first is busy).  I've seen RPMs of
various versions of X-ISP, but I don't recall any URLs offhand.  Whether
you install from an RPM or compile it yourself, be sure to read the
documentation on installation; it includes very useful information on
setting permissions and ownership of various files to allow you to make a
PPP link as an ordinary user or only as root.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. ppp dial-up to NT Server with Red Hat

pppd connects to NT server with a mask of 255.255.255.255 I don't seem
to be able to change that - ip-up script which includes wanted mask of
255.255.255.0 gets ignored. Command line dial-up with "netmask" option
also doesn't seem to work. NT requires compatible netmask, otherwise
will not even allow to ping. I use RedHat rev 6.0

Is there a way to effectively force netmask with ppp dial-up?

Peter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. Newbie: how to dump form info to a file

3. Red Hat ppp dialer and dial-up config

4. Shareware unix on a PC

5. Red Hat 4.1 dial-up question

6. XF86Config for trident 8900D

7. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

8. ioMega ZIP drive on Solaris...

9. Dialling in with Novell MPR onto Red Hat Linux PPP

10. Linux Red Hat Newbie! Internet Dial-up

11. dial-up access set-up prob. with red hat linux 7

12. Dial-up Networking in Red Hat Linux?

13. Dial Up/PPP with Red Hat