Redhat 5.0 Upgrade Problem: No RPM database exists!

Redhat 5.0 Upgrade Problem: No RPM database exists!

Post by Chad Hurwi » Mon, 02 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I've been through about everything i could try.  I have been sucessfully
installing rpm packages with 4.1 for nearly a year, I have had problems with
a "/bin/bash" dependency conflicy but that was fixed with a new version of
rpm-2.4.10-1

Now i decided to get the redhat 5.0 cd from infomagic and i am unable to
get past the Find instalation files process.  I have encountered two different
errors here, one where it said "install exited abnormally -- recieved signal 11"

this was seemingly solved by the aformentioned rpm upgrade.  Now i get an
error near the same place while upgrading right after the the scsi bus is
scanned and it finds my adaptec 2940 ok.  It sais
"mount failed: Block device required"
and then it says
"No RPM database exists!"

I once thought it was rpm's fault but i would imagine rpm-2.4.10 would be
high enough and that fixed the segfault problem while upgrading, now i
suspect it could be my 2940 which has worked great and still does with my
redhat 4.1. I just don't want to do a full install over the 4.1 partition
and am trying to figure this upgrade problem out, anyone have any clues?

-skito

| spam if you can, spam if you dare, spam if you must, i won't care |
| spam is futile,  spam is free,  spam is filtered,  so i won't see |

                                                               here i am
                                                               here i am
                                                               waiting to hold

1. Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...

I'm trying to upgrade to redhat 5.2 via cdrom.

I boot from the CD, and choose the upgrade option. After flashing a
'second stage install' (or somthing similar) message in the lower
right of the screen, it goes looking for installed packages. The disk
spins for 30 seconds and then I get an error message that says:

  mount: no such file or directory

and there's an OK button, which of course i have to accept. i then
immediately get another error, which says 'rpm database not found' (or
similar).

then there's no way out. i can't go back and the advanced menu option
just gives me a blue screen that sits there. i've tried rebuilding my
rpm database (this seems to succeed - at least it exits silently), but
i just get the same messages again.

can anyone shed any light on this? what's it trying to mount, and
where? i have a /mnt that looks fine, and i'd have thought my disk was
already mounted seeing as it has gone looking for my existing packages
already, etc.

thanks,

2. as86

3. Upgrading RPM in RedHat 5.0

4. Linux and SLIP/PPP

5. 6.0 Trouble "No RPM database exists!"

6. scandir question

7. "No RPM database exists" error when installing MkLinux Rawhide

8. fetch (HTTP download tool)

9. install problems with RPM's in Redhat 5.0

10. upgrade from Redhat Linux 5.0 to redhat linux 5.1

11. upgrade from Redhat 5.0 to Redhat 5.1

12. RedHat 5.0 -> 5.1 upgrade problems

13. redhat 7.0 loadkeys problem after upgrading rpm under gnome