Saving window positions and sizes

Post by David Perdu » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi Friends,

Using Xwindows apps, (netscape in particular), I can't figure out how to
save the location and size of the various windows. I can start the
application, and typically, it will be more than the screen size of my
monitor (800x600). I must then resize the window before I can start to
do anything. The next time I start the app, I must do the same thing.
How do I make these screen positions static within Xwindows?

Thanks,

--David

Saving window positions and sizes

Post by Sascha Ottols » Sat, 06 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi David,

you can start X-application with the option -geometry , see the X
manpages for details.

example netscape -geometry 640x480+0+0

You can also set the default-geometry in the .Xdefaults file.

Greetings,

Sascha

Post by Andrew J Steinba » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Hi Friends,

: Using Xwindows apps, (netscape in particular), I can't figure out how to
: save the location and size of the various windows. I can start the
: application, and typically, it will be more than the screen size of my
: monitor (800x600). I must then resize the window before I can start to
: do anything. The next time I start the app, I must do the same thing.
: How do I make these screen positions static within Xwindows?

        Many, if not all, X apps allow for the -geometry command line
option.  This will allow you to specify both position and size of the
app's window.  Check your app's man pages (also the X man page) for
details on the -geometry option.  I believe that you can also put this
information in your .Xdefaults file, if you tend to start the apps from
an xterm shell.

--
Andy Steinbach

Post by mell » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Hi Friends,

>Using Xwindows apps, (netscape in particular), I can't figure out how to
>save the location and size of the various windows. I can start the
>application, and typically, it will be more than the screen size of my
>monitor (800x600). I must then resize the window before I can start to
>do anything. The next time I start the app, I must do the same thing.
>How do I make these screen positions static within Xwindows?

If you're using openwin there's a utility called xtoolplaces.  You set up
your apps the way you want and in the main menu under 'utilities' there's
a selection 'save workspace.'  Click that and it will tell you if it succeeded.
Next time you run openwin it starts those same apps in the same positions.

If you don't have xtoolplaces on your system you should be able to hunt
down an archive called xtoolplaces.tgz on the web.

Post by mell » Tue, 09 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>: Hi Friends,

>: Using Xwindows apps, (netscape in particular), I can't figure out how to
>: save the location and size of the various windows. I can start the
>: application, and typically, it will be more than the screen size of my
>: monitor (800x600). I must then resize the window before I can start to
>: do anything. The next time I start the app, I must do the same thing.
>: How do I make these screen positions static within Xwindows?

>    Many, if not all, X apps allow for the -geometry command line
>option.  This will allow you to specify both position and size of the
>app's window.  Check your app's man pages (also the X man page) for
>details on the -geometry option.  I believe that you can also put this
>information in your .Xdefaults file, if you tend to start the apps from
>an xterm shell.

If you're using openwin, the alternative is to use xtoolplaces.
You set up all your open programs the way you want, then
select "save workspace" from the desktop menu(I'm not sure
which submenu it's in at the moment.  Could be "utilities" I
think.)

If you don't have xtoolplaces you can find the source on
the web and build it.

Saving window positions and sizes

Post by gilles segui » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

one solution is:

1) in /usr/openwin/lib/openwin-menu-t  add line

   "Netscape ( www Browser)"  exec /home2/netscape/netscape
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to be changed

2) in /usr/openwin/lib/app-defaults
   create the file Netscape with the resources you want
   to modified
   ex.:
! Netscape
! command to execute before exec Netscape
! this is to play with to look for appearance
! xrdb -merge /root/app-defaults/Netscape

! Geometry
!
! those are the one you want to play with
! this is for a screen 1190-by-900
Netscape.Navigator.geometry: =800x860+10-0
Netscape.News.geometry: =960x860+10+10

! Fonts in the widgets.
! for high resolution screen those were very little
! on next line you have no <cr> it appear like this because of
! the editor ( the last char on line is * not : )
*menuBar*fontList:      -*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
*tipLabel.fontList:
-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*
*documentFonts.defaultFont*iso-8859-1.prop:     adobe-times-140-noscale
*documentFonts.defaultFont*iso-8859-1.fixed:    adobe-courier-140-noscale
*XmLGrid*fontList:\
-*-helvetica-medium-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*,\
-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*=BOLD,\
-*-helvetica-medium-o-*-*-*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*=ITALIC

The modification are:
on menuBar, tipLabel
  medium instead of bold, 140->100
on other
  140 instead of 100, 120 instead of 100
you can verify with Netscape.ad in the untar files

I desagre with starting X with Netscape, each times.
That program is huge. Now the right button, under Tools,
the pull down menu suppose to display Netscape with your
preferences.

gilles

Saving window positions and sizes

Post by J. Guy Stalnake » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

A lot of posts on this thread reflect a sure knowledge of Openwin
issues, so I'm going to try you folks out.  I've been able to modify
my Xinitrc file and the .openwin-init file (using textedit and
xtoolplaces/owplaces respectively).  What I've not been able to do is
modify the default location/size of the VirtualDesktop window!  By
reading the man pages for olwm and olvwm it seems that I should be
able to specify some resource arguments to the olvwm command line per
this indication

usage: /usr/openwin/bin/olvwm ... [-xrm <rsrcstring>]

in Xinitrc thus:

olvwm -xrm olvwm.VirtualDesktop 1x6 olvwm.VirtualGeometry -0+0

to set the VirturalDesktop to 1 column by 6 rows and located at the
top right corner of the screen.  But the server dies everytime with
errors:

unknown argument encountered.

Any ideas on how to do this?
J. Guy Stalnaker

DoIT-Emerging Media Technology
1210 W. Dayton St. Rm. 3290
608.263.8035
Office Hours: M-F 9am-1pm

Post by Russ Spoone » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >: Hi Friends,

> >: Using Xwindows apps, (netscape in particular), I can't figure out how to
> >: save the location and size of the various windows. I can start the
> >: application, and typically, it will be more than the screen size of my
> >: monitor (800x600). I must then resize the window before I can start to
> >: do anything. The next time I start the app, I must do the same thing.
> >: How do I make these screen positions static within Xwindows?

I Know what you mean- the dfault sizes for netscape are a * and I
had the same problem.

Here's how I sorted out Netscape:

edit:
/usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape

And you will find the various default window sizes and relative
positions for netscape....
Do what you will!

Hope this helps with one of the problems!

--
             /`\\\

  ------oOO----^----OOo-------------------------------------------------

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~       http://www.veryComputer.com/

Saving window positions and sizes

Post by Dean Collin » Mon, 19 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> edit:
> /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape

> And you will find the various default window sizes and relative
> positions for netscape....
> Do what you will!

And if that file's not there look in your netscape distribution
for Netscape.ad, which can either be copied into the above
location or just the specific entries you wish to customize can
be copied there.  Normally a Netscape.ad file is not installed
since it can cause things to misbehave when you upgrade to
a new version.

Dean

    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
        - Popular Mechanics, 1949