path env var not properly set

Post by Rafa Alcantar » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 05:53:47

Hi!

I've modified my bash startup file ($HOME/.bash_profile) to include the
path
to the JDK as follows:
 PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin
I've modified the system startup file (/etc/profile) as well, to read:
 PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin

When I reboot the system and type:
 echo $PATH
or
 which java
I can't see any changes (no sbin, no jdk1.3) and java is not found. None
of the
startup files are loaded. Why? Something is setting my $PATH the wrong
way (my
PATH shows some missing kde2 directories...).
I've tried renaming my .bash_profile to .profile, but no way.
However, if I type
 . $HOME/.bash_profile
the new $PATH is loaded.

I wish to know the way to set the $PATH at startup without having to do
it by
hand. I want to know which of the thousands files in my hard disk is
responsible for the $PATH I have.

Thank you for reading this message.

--

       Rafa Alcntara
mailto:Rafa.at.Alcantara.com

1. Referencing an env var from an env var

I am trying to reference an environment variable from within an
environment variable.

    HOME=/home/paul
    x=HOME
    echo $"$x"

    gives me $HOME and not /home/paul
or
    HOME=/home/paul
    x=\$HOME
    echo $x

    gives me $HOME and not /home/paul

I could write a c program that would use getenv recursively, but it
would me more aesthetically pleasing to use a (simple ?) shell command.
Is there anything I'm missing, or am I attempting the impossible ?

I am using ksh on HP-UX 10.20

Please email any thoughts as well as posting them.  Thanks

Paul Graves

EDS Electronic Commerce
Cheadle, Cheshire, UK

2. Question about process scheduling under Solaris

3. Need help not passing make vars as env vars in gmake.

4. kerberos

5. env vars not set at login?????

6. bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?

7. how to test env var set or not

8. "GET LINUX" contest

9. PATH and env var files...?

10. setting $DISPLAY env var

11. Setting global ENV var for all users in /etc/init.d/*-scripts ?

12. setting env var from shell script : HELP...

13. CGI C set env var and call a c external function failed on UNIX