Help!!! changed /etc/inittab - now boot hangs at INIT: version 2.58 booting

Help!!! changed /etc/inittab - now boot hangs at INIT: version 2.58 booting

Post by Charles K Sidwe » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

    In trying to get my rc.inet1 and rc.inet2 files to be run at boot,
I inserted the lines: n1:123456:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1
                      n2:123456:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc.inet2

when trying to shutdown, the system gave the shutdown message but
remained running??? I ended up doing a reboot -n

Now the boot gets as far as INIT: version 2.58 booting, and hangs.
Probably 'waiting' for something that's never going to happen.

My boot floppy has the same problem since it too trys to run INIT.

Is there anything I can enter from the LILO: prompt that will not try
to run INIT???

I'm slowly learning just how much the root user id can do in the wrong
hands.

Thanks

CKS

Help!!! changed /etc/inittab - now boot hangs at INIT: version 2.58 booting

Post by Stephan Elsne » Tue, 03 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Now the boot gets as far as INIT: version 2.58 booting, and hangs.
> Probably 'waiting' for something that's never going to happen.

I had the same problem after inserting a faulty line in inittab.
I do not know the Lilo parameters, because I use loadlin.
I solved the problem this way:
I booted Linux from my setup CD (german S.u.S.E. distribution based on slackware),
mounted the root partition, mouted my dos-partition, copied inittab to dos partition
edited it with Norton Commander, booted linux again, copied it back.
That's all. There's surely an easier way to do this, but that worked too.

Try to get a bootable disk or CD with inittab on it!

Good luck!

1. boot hangs at INIT: version 2.69 booting

Hi all.  I recently got a new motherboard to replace my elderly 486, and
I am having difficulties booting up.  I downloaded the bare.i bootdisk
image from sunsite
(/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/bootdisk.144/bare.i), and I can boot
from that when I use it in conjunction with a root floppy.  However, if
I try to boot using that same bootdisk and I specify 'mount
root=/dev/hdc1' instead of simply hitting return at the 'boot:' prompt,
the kernel boot process gets as far as "INIT: version 2.69 booting", and
freezes.  I still get response from the caps and num lock keys, but
nothing else.

The system is a VXtwo PCI/ISA PnP motherboard, Cyrix 6x86 MX PR 200 CPU,
and has an S3 ViRGE-DX video card and an AE200PnP ethernet adapter in
it.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get it running off of this generic
kernel with my regular filesystem mounted?  I need to be able to compile
a new custom kernel for the new hardware.

Any and all help much appreciated!

-Christian

2. HP Colorado Tape

3. init 2.76 hangs on boot -- not running /sbin/init.d/boot

4. Digital SEAL Firewall users please contact me...

5. HELP! Booting hangs after changing inittab

6. Is it possible to fetch the computer model?

7. etc/init.d/boot gives segment fault on boot-up

8. Terminal on Linux

9. Linux won't boot past "INIT version 2.62 boot" message at bootup

10. LILO Hangs on INIT: version 2.69 booting

11. Netboot & init:: Boot process hangs at init

12. Power surge - now can't read /etc/inittab and won't boot - help!

13. Problem booting (initrd, remount root): INIT: no inittab file found