linux device driver for sony 55e cdrom?

Post by Leslie G » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 00:25:23

hi all!
        i just got myself a brand new sony 55e cdrom, convinced by the vendor that
ide interfaces are the way to go. insofar, i've managed to use it while in
dos, but while installing warp, i got into some problems with formatting my
hd ...
        anyway, i'm thinking of buying the newest linux distribution (haven't
decided which yet) on cdrom, and would like to know if my cdrom is

frequently, reading newsgroups in cornell is a pain in the neck for me.
thanks!

leslie

Post by Chuck Lidderdal » Thu, 02 Mar 1995 00:37:45

> hi all!
>    i just got myself a brand new sony 55e cdrom, convinced by the vendor that
> ide interfaces are the way to go. insofar, i've managed to use it while in
> dos, but while installing warp,

I just purchased the same CD drive - I'm told that V 1.1.86 has
the right driver in it.  I downloaded the source to 86 last night
and havent had time to recompile. (which will be my first . . .)

linux device driver for sony 55e cdrom?

Post by Mathias » Fri, 03 Mar 1995 14:23:10

I've got one of those sony drives too.   And, without thinking, I bought
the Slackware pro distribution (well, without thinking about the CDROM
compatability issue).  Of course there is not a driver for it in the
distribution (hee hee hee).  I tried using the nec260 driver, and got
pretty far... up to selecting disk sets, but the setup program dropped me
back to the # prompt with an "unable to read the source media" error.  The
wierd thing about the nec driver is that I can mount and "ls" my CD's, but
the setup program just won't work.  I've tried most of the other drivers
(including both the sony ones, and the "loaded" one) and they don't see my
CDRom at all.

If anyone know's where to get the sony 55e driver, even alpha version,
please let me know.

Thanks,
mat.

--

linux device driver for sony 55e cdrom?

Post by Perry F Nguy » Sat, 04 Mar 1995 09:37:23

Get a new kernel..
               __________                             ___________
               \______   \ __________________ ___.__. \_   _____/
                |     ___// __ \_  __ \_  __ <   |  |  |    __)
                |    |   \  ___/|  | \/|  | \/\___  |  |     \
                |____|    \___  >__|   |__|   / ____|  \___  /
                              \/              \/           \/

                           Finger for PGP public key.

1. Sony CDU-55E CDROM -- will the alpha NEC CDR-260 driver work?

As you might be able to guess from the title, I blew it; my new
machine that I'm bringing Linux up on has one; when I bought it
I noted "Sony CD-ROM, good, those are supported" and of course
only certain CD-ROMs are supported and the 55E isn't one of them
(at least by Slackware 2.1).

However, after doing a bit of research (CD-ROM HOWTO, hints in
the documentation) it appears that all is not lost: the Sony
55E is an "ATAPI" drive and so is the NEC CDR-260, and there's
an alpha driver for the latter.  This is supposed to be a new
standard CD-ROM interface.  So maybe I'm in luck.

Before I start patching this thing into my kernel, though, I thought
I'd ask here first to see if anyone else has any experience with this.
So, some questions:

1. Did anyone get a Sony CDU-55E working under Linux, with this or
   another driver?

2. Is anyone using the above-mentioned NEC CDR-260 driver with an NEC
   CD-ROM and does it work reasonably well for that one?

Post answers if you like, but I'd like to get mail responses -- I'll
summarize whatever I find out to the net.  If no one answers, I'll
just go ahead and try the sucker.

Thanks in advance.

--

Phone: +1 415 694 1729

2. Unable to connect to server errors

3. Sony CDU-55E - Need boot disk image to load linux from cdrom

4. Dual CPU usage (or not)??

5. How can I get my external Sony CDROM 55e to work under Linux 1.2.4?

6. Help on auto starting nfsd & mountd.

7. Can I put a Sony 55e CDROM + card into my Linux system?

8. Test post, please ignore

9. HELP: need linux cd-rom drivers for Sony 55E

10. CDROM Sony CDU-55E occasional hangup???

11. CDROM: SONY CDU 55E

12. IDE CDROM - SONY CDU-55E

13. Sony 55E IDE CDROM