run a shell script from an icon

Post by Kenneth Lantri » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:45:55

Need a pointer here on how to set up an icon to run a shell script from
the icon.

I have the script and the program that it run working ok.  The script
start a java GUI program and I need to set a way to run it easily by
clicking on an icon.

Kinda new to Linux and KDE so good 1.2.3 instructions would be nice.

I just got back from Google.com and searched on "run shell script from
icon" (no quotes) and got a ton of stuff about it...  But was unable to
narrow down a working solution.

Didn't find anything in the How-Tos, Guides, or FAQs at http://www.tldp.org/

Could someone point me to the proper How-To or FAQ that shows how to set
something like this up?

Also I need to be in the directory that contains the script.  Is this
property set from the icon or changed from within the script?  If so,
what is the command for it?  (cd /home/Ken/MyProggie)  for instance?

Thanks for your time.

Post by mjt » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:54:05

> I just got back from Google.com and searched on "run shell script from
> icon" (no quotes) and got a ton of stuff about it...  But was unable to
> narrow down a working solution.

> Didn't find anything in the How-Tos, Guides, or FAQs at
> http://www.tldp.org/

... "panel menu"->add->special button->non-kde-application,
select the application/script, provide optional command line
arguments, click 'ok' button

there, answered your question and it is NOW to be found in the
archives, including simple and easy to read instructions :)

Post by Bit Twiste » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:02:36

> Need a pointer here on how to set up an icon to run a shell script from
> the icon.

Shoot I just left click any where on the desktop and
pick link to application.

Use the full path/script_name in the Execute tab.