Gpm recognizes 2nd mouse, now no keyboard nor mouse

Gpm recognizes 2nd mouse, now no keyboard nor mouse

Post by EXCHANGE:RICH2:2Q » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

The skinny is this, if I run any of the following programs, I can't
interact Linux from that point on:

startX
gpm
mouse-test
cat </dev/psaux

My system is:
Base RedHat 5.2 system, Upgraded to 2.2.5-2 Kernel successfully. Added
Gnome1.08 stuff from packages put together under Redhat 5.2 files on
www.gnome.org. Built my own custom kernel to do all the APM stuff. Added
a /etc/rc.d/init.d/gdm file to start the gnome "xdm" like program.
Pentium II 300 Mhz

This system was stable and working Great. I was using enlightenment /w
additional themes. AND THEN...

As the machine was booting up, my son (2 years old) wiggled his new
HotWheels mouse (a serial mouse which I had forgotten was plugged into
cua0, the modem's port). I didn't see him move it, I noticed the reverse
video character move on the screen in the brief instant between when gpm
is loaded and gdm takes over.

I thought "Oh great!" because I remembered something about gpm
automatically recognizing serial mice. I figured that I might have do
"deconfigure" something because my modem uses cua0. But when gdm came
up, There was a surprise awaiting me. Linux now refused to take
ANY input from either the keyboard, nor the mouse. I was forced to turn
the power off via the switch on the back of my computer, because the
normal button was putting my Linux to sleep and waking it back up (APM
was working at least).

I expected it to work upon reboot, because I had unplugged the Hotwheels
Mouse. I was wrong. Reboot, fsck a 2Gb and a 1Gb partition.  This time
up in single user mode. Thankfully it worked.

I have no earthly idea why, but any program that attempts to even read
/dev/psaux prevents ALL keyboard I/O. I have checked the device file and
it is Major Number 10 Minor Number 1, with permissions as follows:

crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      10,   1 Apr 29 15:13 psaux
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Jan 26  1998 mouse -> psaux

I am hoping that someone out there knows what is going on, and how to
fix it.

    Jeff Peterson.

PS    This is my machine at work, similarily configured, and working
correctly (no Hotwheels Mouse here).

My son was saying "Race'a Race Cars Daddy'o!" when he wiggled the mouse.
I guess this is ONE time when I would have been better off booting the
Evil Empire's OS instead, and just raced cars with my son.

Gpm recognizes 2nd mouse, now no keyboard nor mouse

Post by Jeff Peterso » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

Sorry,
    I had to reconfigure Netscape recently, and the Corporate tool screws

Post by Jeff Peterso » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

> >I can't offer a solution, but I can offer a similar anecdote.

> >I have a machine with a PS/2 mouse that worked just fine with
> >win98 and Redhat 5.2.

> >I just installed Redhat 6.0 from scratch.  Any attempt to
> >use the mouse causes a hard lockup of the machine.  Also,
> >I had the problem where keyboard input would not work after
> >the login prompt comes up on several of my reboot attempts.
> >That problem seems to come and go randomly.

> If gpm is not turned on and X isnt running are you getting any problems?
> How does the problem manifest itself (move mouse system crashes?)

> What does /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports report before a crash.

I know that I don't get any entry for IRQ 12 like you are showing. And I don't
remember what was in the ioports file, cause I don't know which entry could be
the psaux device. The mouse is a Logitech Mouseman+ (one of those egro
wheelmice things.
How the machine locks up is that if you run something as simple as "cat
/dev/psaux", you will no longer be able to use the keyboard.
I did find that if I plugged that stupid Hotwheels mouse back in, I am able to
use it as my primary mouse. I can then start XFree86 and do other stuff. And
since I have that mouse, once up in X, I can start something like "cat
/dev/psaux" which echos some binary char on the console, and then I can't type
until I use the mouse to nuke the terminal that it is running in. This causes
the program to be killed, and then I can use my keyboard on some other Xterm.
I'm not sure if it is relavent or not, but there is an LED on my keyboard (it
is a compaq 4850) that is ALWAYS on when Winblows(NT/95/dos) is running. I
don't remember if it was on or off in the past, but I do know that it now goes
off shortly after the kernel boots, and it only comes back after a reboot.
This may be an important clue. Unfortunately, this workarround means that,
since I have only 1 serial port, I can either use my modem, or my mouse, but
not both at the same time.

    Jeff Peterson

PS I will work on getting you those files.

Post by Steve Smoog » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

>I can't offer a solution, but I can offer a similar anecdote.

>I have a machine with a PS/2 mouse that worked just fine with
>win98 and Redhat 5.2.

>I just installed Redhat 6.0 from scratch.  Any attempt to
>use the mouse causes a hard lockup of the machine.  Also,
>I had the problem where keyboard input would not work after
>the login prompt comes up on several of my reboot attempts.
>That problem seems to come and go randomly.

If gpm is not turned on and X isnt running are you getting any problems?
How does the problem manifest itself (move mouse system crashes?)

What does /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports report before a crash.

Thanks.

Quote:

>> crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      10,   1 Apr 29 15:13 psaux
>> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Jan 26  1998 mouse -> psaux

>> I am hoping that someone out there knows what is going on, and how to
>> fix it.

>>     Jeff Peterson.

>> PS    This is my machine at work, similarily configured, and working
>> correctly (no Hotwheels Mouse here).

>> My son was saying "Race'a Race Cars Daddy'o!" when he wiggled the mouse.
>> I guess this is ONE time when I would have been better off booting the
>> Evil Empire's OS instead, and just raced cars with my son.

Hmmm this other problem sounds like something in kernel land that is
crossing between ps/2 mouse and ps/2 keyboard.

smooge:{smooge}$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:    2224757          XT-PIC  timer
  1:      21944          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:   12157577          XT-PIC  soundblaster
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:      68735          XT-PIC  eth0
 10:         89          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
 12:     454006          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     217802          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          5          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
smooge:{smooge}$ cat /proc/ioports
0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
0330-0333 : MPU-401 UART
0376-0376 : ide1
0388-038b : Yamaha OPL3
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
d000-d0be : aic7xxx
d400-d41f : eth0
e000-e007 : ide0
e008-e00f : ide1

What kind of ps/2 mouse was it?

--

SJS

Post by Jeff Peterso » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> If gpm is not turned on and X isnt running are you getting any problems?

No, unless I run some other program that attempts to read /dev/psaux or
/dev/psmouse

Quote:

> How does the problem manifest itself (move mouse system crashes?)

The system does not crash. I am unable to use either the PS/2 Mouse or the
Keyboard. They are what is locked up, not my machine. I found that I can use
the serial mouse to kludge my around this problem. I changed my
/etc/X11/XF86config file to use the cua0 mouse, When I start X, I no longer
lock up, but if I type 'cat /dev/psaux' in an Xterm, I am no longer able to
use the keyboard. The serial mouse still works, so I can kill that Xterm, and
when I do, I am able to use the keyboard again.
These problems only started after my son wiggled the serial mouse connected to
cua0. Before that, I had no problems with the PS/2 mouse.

Quote:

> What does /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports report before a crash.

Ok, I have disabled gpm from startup, so no mouse support is available at run
level 3. This is what my /proc/interrupts & /proc/ioports files look like
right after booting (i.e.. no Xwindows):

/proc/interrupts

           CPU0
  0:       8947          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        115          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      33269          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

/proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
2020-2027 : ide0
2028-202f : ide1

After I have started X, I used the following commands in 2 xterms to capture
the files while the keyboard is locked up. "sleep 10; cp /proc/interrupts; cp
/proc/ioports" & "cat /dev/psaux". I waited more than 10 seconds, verified
that the keyboard was locked up, and then killed one of the xterms to regain
keyboard input. Here are the results:

/proc/interrupts

           CPU0
  0:      31790          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        557          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:       3222          XT-PIC  serial
  5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
 12:          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      47863          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

/proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
2020-2027 : ide0
2028-202f : ide1

I copied the files 1 last time. X is running, the keyboard is accepting input,
and I am using the serial mouse for my pointer device. I should note that I
did configure the secondary pointer to use the ps/2 mouse, but it does
nothing.

/proc/interrupts

           CPU0
  0:      51479          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        844          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:       4642          XT-PIC  serial
  5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:      48927          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

/proc/ioports

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0080-008f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : fpu
0170-0177 : ide1
01f0-01f7 : ide0
0220-022f : soundblaster
0376-0376 : ide1
03c0-03df : vga+
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
2020-2027 : ide0
2028-202f : ide1

I hope that we can find a resolution to this problem. I fear that it may mean
a lot of problems as Redhat 6.0 becomes widely used. I would like to think
that we can get it fixed asap for the welfare of Linux in general. The stakes
are getting higher, and being a Linux evangelist, I want to see it do well.

    Jeff Peterson

Post by Steve Smoog » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>> >I can't offer a solution, but I can offer a similar anecdote.

>> >I have a machine with a PS/2 mouse that worked just fine with
>> >win98 and Redhat 5.2.

>> >I just installed Redhat 6.0 from scratch.  Any attempt to
>> >use the mouse causes a hard lockup of the machine.  Also,
>> >I had the problem where keyboard input would not work after
>> >the login prompt comes up on several of my reboot attempts.
>> >That problem seems to come and go randomly.

>> If gpm is not turned on and X isnt running are you getting any problems?
>> How does the problem manifest itself (move mouse system crashes?)

>> What does /proc/interrupts /proc/ioports report before a crash.

>I know that I don't get any entry for IRQ 12 like you are showing. And I don't
>remember what was in the ioports file, cause I don't know which entry could be
>the psaux device. The mouse is a Logitech Mouseman+ (one of those egro
>wheelmice things.

Hmmm ok I cant replicate here so I am wondering if this is some sort of
motherboard action.

Does the mouse on this system connect to the motherboard or somehow
piggyback onto the keyboard (sort of like a Mac)? Or I wonder if the
Logitech mouse is a "smart mouse" in that it is Plug and Play so it
remembers settings (ie you have to reset it to get it out)

I have included a later message that I got from you as I was working on
this one:

Quote:> Ok, I have disabled gpm from startup, so no mouse support is available
> at run level 3. This is what my /proc/interrupts & /proc/ioports files
> look like right after booting (i.e.. no Xwindows):
> /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:       8947          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        115          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      33269          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> After I have started X, I used the following commands in 2 xterms to
> capture the files while the keyboard is locked up. "sleep 10; cp
> /proc/interrupts; cp /proc/ioports" & "cat /dev/psaux". I waited more
> than 10 seconds, verified that the keyboard was locked up, and then
> killed one of the xterms to regain keyboard input. Here are the results:
> /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:      31790          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        557          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:       3222          XT-PIC  serial
>   5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
>  12:          0          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      47863          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0

Ok I am noticing the lack of IRQ's there, when compared to my box. For
some reason I am thinking the PS/2 mouse is trying to share the IRQ of
the keyboard for some reason (BIOS option?)

 12:    2034986          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse

crw-------   1 root     root       5,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/cua0
crw-------   1 root     root       5,  65 May  5  1998 /dev/cua1
crw-------   1 root     root       5,  66 May  5  1998 /dev/cua2
crw-------   1 root     root       5,  67 May  5  1998 /dev/cua3
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            5 Apr  8 11:07 /dev/mouse ->
psaux
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root      10,   1 Apr 30 19:22 /dev/psaux
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  64 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS0
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  65 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS1
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  66 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS2
crw-------   1 root     tty        4,  67 May  5  1998 /dev/ttyS3

Quote:> /proc/ioports

Ok ioports was a false lead...

Quote:> I copied the files 1 last time. X is running, the keyboard is accepting
> input, and I am using the serial mouse for my pointer device. I should
> note that I did configure the secondary pointer to use the ps/2 mouse,
> but it does nothing.

> /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:      51479          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        844          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:       4642          XT-PIC  serial
>   5:          1          XT-PIC  soundblaster
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      48927          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> I hope that we can find a resolution to this problem. I fear that it may
> mean a lot of problems as Redhat 6.0 becomes widely used. I would like
> to think that we can get it fixed asap for the welfare of Linux in
> general. The stakes are getting higher, and being a Linux evangelist, I
> want to see it do well.

Well I will see what I can do. Cant promise miracles... just a little
pixie dust (going to send this to the kernel developers.)

--

SJS

Gpm recognizes 2nd mouse, now no keyboard nor mouse

Post by Jeff Peterso » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hmmm ok I cant replicate here so I am wondering if this is some sort of
> motherboard action.

> Does the mouse on this system connect to the motherboard or somehow
> piggyback onto the keyboard (sort of like a Mac)? Or I wonder if the
> Logitech mouse is a "smart mouse" in that it is Plug and Play so it
> remembers settings (ie you have to reset it to get it out)

The mouse has a standard PS/2 connector that connects to the back of the
PC tower in the place where the original PS/2 mouse was connected. I
have used it with Linux for more than 1 year now with absolutely 0
problems up til now. There is no special H/W that I installed into my
machine, and I don't know of any Plug-n-Pray stuff associated with it.
Because the mouse really has 4 buttons (The wheel can be pressed down
and it has another under your thumb), they have some custom drivers for
Windows. The additional buttons have always worked like a middle button
in the past.
It seems reasonable to me that I should try to use the original mouse
again and see if that does make a difference. One other thing that may
have something to do with all this is that somewhere in the process I
unplugged and replugged the mice while the machine was powered up. I
know that technically this is a no no, but I have been working with
computers for years and I have done this many times and never had a
problem before. And both mice still work perfectly under windows.

        Jeff Peterson.

Gpm recognizes 2nd mouse, now no keyboard nor mouse

Post by Jeff Peterso » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hmmm ok I cant replicate here so I am wondering if this is some sort of
> motherboard action.

Did you try this sequence?

1) Start with a system that has a PS/2 mouse.
2) Into COM1, plug in a serial mouse.
3) Boot up linux.
4) Move the serial mouse while Linux is booting up so that gpm will
automatically
   recognize it.
5) If it works like my system, you will not be able to log in, you will
need to reboot
   and then use single user mode.

That is how I got to where I am at.

Computer = Compaq 4850 /w a Logitech MouseMan+ PS/2 add-on mouse, & a
serial mouse.

I have been using Linux on this machine for more than 1 year with the
Logitech mouse and everything was fine until my son wiggled his new
"Hotwheels" serial mouse while I was booting linux 2.2.5

        Jeff Peterson

Gpm recognizes 2nd mouse, now no keyboard nor mouse

Post by Steve Smoog » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi just to let people know what may be going on. It looks like there may
be some sort of "confusion" in the kernel when three things "occur" in a
system.

1) PS/2 mouse
2) APM is available through the BIOS
3) you get into a "race" condition between the APM and the PS/2 mouse
   which will cause mouse IRQ's to stop keyboard data.

This occurs on some systems a lot (Jeff's) and others not at all (my
work box). We got one machine here to do it, and the kernel guys are
working on a fix. It seems to occur in 2.2.[0-7] kernels due to the fact
that psaux was combined into the pc_keyb char device (versus being a
seperate module in the 2.0.x kernels).

This looks to be the problem... however, like all things I could be
wrong and the final answer will be soemthing different.

--
SJS  --  Red Hat Technical Support
[Please be aware I cannot always answer email directly emailed at me. I

1. Linux does not recognize CDROM nor bus mouse, Help!

Hi folks:

I am seeking help from this group, the users, and producer of Micron
computer who has experience on installing the Linux on Micron's computer.

I have a Micron P75PCI Home computer, it come with a SONY CD-ROM (according
to the readme.txt file in the directory 'sony', the driver is for CDU55D/E)
, a 2-buttons Microsoft Mouse (it has a round connector instead of the
9-pin connector, so I assume it is a bus mouse), a 14.4kBaud Modem,
850Mbyte Had disk, and a Sound Card.

After installed the Linux on my Micron's P75PCI Home
PC, I got message that it did not see CDROM (and yet I installed the Linux
from my SONY CDROM), nor can the system find the bus mouse.

Here is the detail of my installation process:
0) in DOS, I used 'scandisk' and 'defrag' to clean up my hard disk, drive C.
1) in DOS, produce the boot diskette with 'idecd' from bootdisk144,
   and root diskette with 'color144' from rootdisk144.
2) in Dos, use FIPS to partition my harddisk (600 Mbyte for Dos and 200 Mbyte
   for Linux),
3) reboot in DOS to check partition is ok,
4) reboot with 'idecd' boot-diskeete into Linux,
5) use fdisk  in Linux to chage the 200 Mbyte partition from DOS=> 32 to
   Linux native,
6) make swap space with 'makswap ...', 'swapon /dev/hd2',
7) create file system with 'mke2fs ...',
8) run 'setup',
    a)make target disk partition on /dev/hda2,
    b)select source from CD-ROM,
    c)select CDROM type as 'most IDE CDROM',
    d)installed A,AP,D, and X diskettes,
    e)configured my Linux withd CDROM set for /dev/hdc, modom at com2 with the
      highest speed, time zone as US-eastern, and Microsoft Bus mouse.
    f)make boot disk, create LILO , (add DOs and then Linuk to LILO),
       install LILO
    g)exit
9) reboot, got 'LILO' prompt, be able to boot from DOS or Linux.
10)test the newly created Linux boot disskette, and it can boot from the floppy
   diskette.

The system said no CD was and mouse device does not exist, when booted eith
from LILO or from the floppy disk.

Please help. Thanks!

HJS

2. Hoping for help with system crashes

3. Changing Time Zone in Apache ????

4. Linux fail to recognize CDROM nor Bus Mouse

5. TFL Fast Ethernet NICs

6. MS Intellipoint mouse not recognized by gpm or X

7. Mac to UNIX Primer needed

8. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse

9. GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

10. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

11. GPM and X11 Freeze mouse, foul keyboard

12. Mouse and keyboard locking up with gpm and/or X