Installation Problems with Slackware 2.2.0 & Goldstar gcd-540 cd-rom

Installation Problems with Slackware 2.2.0 & Goldstar gcd-540 cd-rom

Post by measurement science, in » Wed, 25 Oct 1995 04:00:00

hi, i'm a unix/linux newbie, in need of help please:

i am attempting to install the slackware distribution (2.2.0) on my machine,
and am experiencing problems.

hardware:
o       austin 75 mhz pentium, pci bus
o       8mb edo ram,
o       850mb eide hdd,
o       15" svga montitor with ati mach 64 graphics card, 1 mb dram
o       4x cd-rom (packaged by reveal) but is a goldstar(?) gcd-r540b.

i have the cd-rom drive connected directly to the secondary ide slot on my
motherboard, and it is set to master. according to the documentation, this
config then uses the following dma,irq: 170,15.

i have tried using the "idecd" boot disk. the cd-rom _seemed_ to be detected
at boot-up, but (following the readme file) when i logged in as root, and
tried to mount the cd-rom on /mnt2, i got:

"mount mount point does not exist" (i did mkdir /mnt2 first).

i then also tried to let the "setup" utility auto-detect my cd-rom, which it
seemed to do (it reported finding one), but when i then tried to install the
software, i received an error on every read/write attempt (too quick to read).

questions:

1. does anyone have any experience with this cd-rom (gcd-540)? is the idecd
boot image the appropriate one to use?

2. do i need to pass any extra parameters to the system at boot time (before
logging in as root)? if so, what? any parameters with the address/irq of the
drive?

i have checked the faq, "getting started & installation guide" from LDP, and
que's "using linux", and many other sources of doc, but am unable to find
reference to this.

many thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

bruce.

Post by Louis J. LaBash J » Thu, 26 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: hi, i'm a unix/linux newbie, in need of help please:

: i am attempting to install the slackware distribution (2.2.0) on my machine,
: and am experiencing problems.

[deleted ... ]

: i have tried using the "idecd" boot disk. the cd-rom _seemed_ to be detected
: at boot-up, but (following the readme file) when i logged in as root, and
: tried to mount the cd-rom on /mnt2, i got:

: "mount mount point does not exist" (i did mkdir /mnt2 first).

Since you're using Slackware, I recommend you check out Zenon's site for
problems/fixes:
  ftp.netcom.com: /pub/ze/zenon/linux/

--

1. GoldStar 540 CD-Rom Setup Problems

Hi,

I have a GoldStar 540 QuadSpeed CD-Rom and I won't get it to work under
Linux. I have tried the 470 Driver that comes with Slackware, but it
won't work. The CD-Rom is supposed to be a IDE CD-Rom, so I tried that
as well. Neither will it work.

Got any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please mail replies to my email address, since I don't have frequent
access to a newsserver. Thanks again.

:Nils

2. Gathering statistical info

3. problems with Goldstar GCD-R420B CD-ROM drive

4. 2048byte blksize CD-ROM, Solaris 2.3, Here's how.

5. Goldstar GCD-R420B CD-rom problem !? (help!!!)

6. new slackware distribution?

7. SOLUTION: Goldstar GCD-540B CD-ROM problems

8. egcs: A new compiler project to merge the existing GCC forks

9. Goldstar GCD-RS42B CD-ROM

10. Goldstar GCD-R540B CD-ROM

11. Driver for CD-ROM Goldstar GCD-R542B?

12. Goldstar GCD-RS42B CD-ROM REPOST

13. Goldstar GCD-R520B CD-ROM