Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Post by Geral » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Okay here's the info:

Standard system:
-    P133
-    32MB
-    1.2GB IDE Hard Drive (quantum bigfoot)
-    IDE CD-ROM

I have RH6.0 on CD and I have the installation boot disk.
The hard drive has NOTHING on it, I have used the "zero fill" utility from
Quantum to erase the HD.
I boot the RH installation disk and follow the normal setup
I create the following partitions on the HD:
    - /                = 100MB    hda0
    - /home        = 300MB    hda1
    - /usr            = 500MB    hda2
    - /usr/local     = 200MB    hda3
    - swap        = 100MB    hda4

(all partitions are using linux native)

Proceeding with the installation it copies files to the HD, next it asks if
I want to configure the network where at this start I say "NO" because Linux
does not seem to see my 2 DEC network cards. then there are some more
options.

At this stage it asks me if I want to create a bootdisk, if I put a blank
3.5" disk in the drive and select "YES" it comes back and says "unable to
create boot disk" without even reading from the Drive !!! If I say "No" to
the bootdisk option and try and install LILO on the harddrive, again it
comes back and says that it could not install LILO on the hard drive ... why
???

I have tried playing around with the partition configuration but nothing
seems to work.

I cannot understand why LILO will not install ....... in the BIOS I have
tried configuring the harddrive as "LBA" and "NORMAL" but that does not
work.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get LILO to install properly on my
system ??

I have read in this newsgroup how some people say to edit the lilo.conf file
but I don't think this applies to me as I am installing from a CD ??

Please, I have tried playing with the installation process for about 3 days
now and I am really at a lose on what to try now.
If anyone has a solution can you PLEASE email me at

Thank you very much,
Gerald.

Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Post by Davi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Gerald,

        Are you using the updated boot.img to make the
installation boot disk? I used a program called "wipe"
at one time and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't
work and had to format the disk and use fdisk to delete
the dos partition due to "wipe" writing ZERO's to the
hard drive which didn't really erase everything just
covered it up with " O's ". I would say that getting
the new boot.img file from your favorite FTP site and
rawrite a new one then try it again.

Good Luck!
David

> Okay here's the info:

> Standard system:
> -    P133
> -    32MB
> -    1.2GB IDE Hard Drive (quantum bigfoot)
> -    IDE CD-ROM

> I have RH6.0 on CD and I have the installation boot disk.
> The hard drive has NOTHING on it, I have used the "zero fill" utility from
> Quantum to erase the HD.
> I boot the RH installation disk and follow the normal setup
> I create the following partitions on the HD:
>     - /                = 100MB    hda0
>     - /home        = 300MB    hda1
>     - /usr            = 500MB    hda2
>     - /usr/local     = 200MB    hda3
>     - swap        = 100MB    hda4

> (all partitions are using linux native)

> Proceeding with the installation it copies files to the HD, next it asks if
> I want to configure the network where at this start I say "NO" because Linux
> does not seem to see my 2 DEC network cards. then there are some more
> options.

> At this stage it asks me if I want to create a bootdisk, if I put a blank
> 3.5" disk in the drive and select "YES" it comes back and says "unable to
> create boot disk" without even reading from the Drive !!! If I say "No" to
> the bootdisk option and try and install LILO on the harddrive, again it
> comes back and says that it could not install LILO on the hard drive ... why
> ???

> I have tried playing around with the partition configuration but nothing
> seems to work.

> I cannot understand why LILO will not install ....... in the BIOS I have
> tried configuring the harddrive as "LBA" and "NORMAL" but that does not
> work.

> Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get LILO to install properly on my
> system ??

> I have read in this newsgroup how some people say to edit the lilo.conf file
> but I don't think this applies to me as I am installing from a CD ??

> Please, I have tried playing with the installation process for about 3 days
> now and I am really at a lose on what to try now.
> If anyone has a solution can you PLEASE email me at

> Thank you very much,
> Gerald.

Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Post by Andy Vierstrae » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm struggling with the same problem, I'll let you know if I find a solution...

Andy

Quote:>At this stage it asks me if I want to create a bootdisk, if I put a blank

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have RH6.0 on CD and I have the installation boot disk.
> The hard drive has NOTHING on it, I have used the "zero fill" utility from
> Quantum to erase the HD.
> I boot the RH installation disk and follow the normal setup
> I create the following partitions on the HD:
>     - /                = 100MB    hda0
>     - /home        = 300MB    hda1
>     - /usr            = 500MB    hda2
>     - /usr/local     = 200MB    hda3
>     - swap        = 100MB    hda4

> (all partitions are using linux native)

Hi,

Your partitioning looks extremely strange. Where did you get hda0? Also,
do you have five primary partitions? How did you manage that?
Also, the swap should be Linux swap, ID 82, and not Linuxnative, ID 83.

Vilmos

Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Post by Matthew Azzar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is it really necessary to create different partitions for your /home, /usr/
and /usr/local directories? I could see why you might want to do this, but
it might be the source of your problems. all you really need is the / and
the swap partitions. try it out, it might work :)

>Okay here's the info:

>Standard system:
>-    P133
>-    32MB
>-    1.2GB IDE Hard Drive (quantum bigfoot)
>-    IDE CD-ROM

>I have RH6.0 on CD and I have the installation boot disk.
>The hard drive has NOTHING on it, I have used the "zero fill" utility from
>Quantum to erase the HD.
>I boot the RH installation disk and follow the normal setup
>I create the following partitions on the HD:
>    - /                = 100MB    hda0
>    - /home        = 300MB    hda1
>    - /usr            = 500MB    hda2
>    - /usr/local     = 200MB    hda3
>    - swap        = 100MB    hda4

>(all partitions are using linux native)

>Proceeding with the installation it copies files to the HD, next it asks if
>I want to configure the network where at this start I say "NO" because
Linux
>does not seem to see my 2 DEC network cards. then there are some more
>options.

>At this stage it asks me if I want to create a bootdisk, if I put a blank
>3.5" disk in the drive and select "YES" it comes back and says "unable to
>create boot disk" without even reading from the Drive !!! If I say "No" to
>the bootdisk option and try and install LILO on the harddrive, again it
>comes back and says that it could not install LILO on the hard drive ...
why
>???

>I have tried playing around with the partition configuration but nothing
>seems to work.

>I cannot understand why LILO will not install ....... in the BIOS I have
>tried configuring the harddrive as "LBA" and "NORMAL" but that does not
>work.

>Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get LILO to install properly on my
>system ??

>I have read in this newsgroup how some people say to edit the lilo.conf
file
>but I don't think this applies to me as I am installing from a CD ??

>Please, I have tried playing with the installation process for about 3 days
>now and I am really at a lose on what to try now.
>If anyone has a solution can you PLEASE email me at

>Thank you very much,
>Gerald.

Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

Post by Gera » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

I've tried everything I can think of.
The boot image I am using came from the redhat.com web site not more
than a week ago, so I assume it's the most 'up-to-date' one.

I've tried fdisk'ing the HD (using a win98 boot disk) and creating
ONLY 2 partitions, one for / (1.15GB) and the other for linux swap
(50MB), but it still does not work.

I have tried the Workstation and Server installations but they both
come back and say that I do not have enough free disk space ... are
these installations able to be installed on a 1.2GB HD, and if so why
is it saying that I don't have enough disk space on a blank 1.2GB HD
??

'Custom' installation is the only thing that works but using that
installation doesn't allow me to install the boot loader (LILO).

Just thought of something while I was typing this message ---- the HD
doesn't have to be bootable BEFORE you start the linux installation
does it ??? but then why does it not even allow me to create a
bootable floppy to run linux ???

Regards,
Gerald.

1. cannot install LILO, cannot boot

Hi,

I have a Dell Dimension XPS with Win 95 preinstalled.
I used Partition Magic to reduce the Win95 partition to get free disk
space. First, I used the OS/2 boot manager that comes along with
Partition Magic to be able to boot Win95 or Linux.
After that I tried to install Red Hat on the free disk space.
It won't allow me to install LILO, I get:
' an error occured during step "install bootloader" of the install'
If I skip this step I can continue with the install, but then I can
not boot from floppy ( with: linux ramdisk=0 root=/dev/hda2  ), I get
dozens of lines like:
'end_request: I/O error ,  dev 01:00, sector 3998'

After that I removed the OS/2 boot manager and made space on the
beginning of the hard drive, hoping  that LILO now has enough space to
be installed, but the errors remain just as described above.

Has anybody any ideas as to what is going on here ?
Any help is appreciated !

Ralf Altreuther
Wuppertal
Germany

2. To migrate or not to migrate

3. Cannot install sbpcd module - cannot install linux:(

4. mailing list??

5. Help: Cannot access DOS partition after installing 2.0 & new LILO

6. D-Link DFE570TX Drivers?

7. HELP!: cannot install Win NT (had NT+Linux+LILO)

8. probs with login

9. [Install][Slackware]Cannot get setup to recognise my non-standard Mitsumi CDRom port/irq[Will summarise]

10. I cannot install the lilo in the floppy disk!

11. Cannot install LILO

12. LILO install check panics with "cannot mount root"

13. getting lilo to work with copy of working install on other partition