SuSE setup not recognizing second harddrive

SuSE setup not recognizing second harddrive

Post by gt.. » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello.

I have the following hardware:
Primary Master    8GB                     (contains Win 98)
Primary Slave     DVD-ROM   (ATAPI)
Secondary Master  Kenwood CDROM 52x  (ATAPI)
Secondary Slave   8GB                     (will contain SuSE 6.1)

My problem is, I boot from CDROM, and when YaST starts,
if I look at System Information, YaST does not recognize
the second drive, thus I can't install on second drive.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what is happening and what I can do?
(Could it be that SuSE Linux 6.1 does not like drives as Secondary
Slaves?)

Thanks.

-Godfrey Degamo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Edmond » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Primary Master    8GB                     (contains Win 98)
> Primary Slave     DVD-ROM   (ATAPI)
> Secondary Master  Kenwood CDROM 52x  (ATAPI)
> Secondary Slave   8GB                     (will contain SuSE 6.1)

> My problem is, I boot from CDROM, and when YaST starts,
> if I look at System Information, YaST does not recognize
> the second drive, thus I can't install on second drive.

> Can anyone give me a clue as to what is happening and what I can do?
> (Could it be that SuSE Linux 6.1 does not like drives as Secondary
> Slaves?)

Well, if your BIOS say that you have an HD on the secondary slave, I
believe that YAST doesn't have any problem to see it on the
/dev/hdd device. I never had trouble like that.
Your configuration let me just a bit think. Do you know the
problem of the 2GB max distance where the kernel has to be on the
HD? It's an IDE problem and maybe you have to copy your kernel image
on the win98 HD and then let lilo run and address it.

edmondo

SuSE setup not recognizing second harddrive

Post by Colonel P?né » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It's not recommended to mix EIDE CDROMs and drives on the same
controller channel.

I don't know if that's your problem (as far as your SuSE install), but I
would move the Disk Drives to the first controller, and the CDROMs to
the second. Although most BIOS(es) can mix ATA modes in the same
channel, you'll be better off putting same types of drives on same
channels. Unless you have a specific reason for your setup...

> > Primary Master    8GB                     (contains Win 98)
> > Primary Slave     DVD-ROM   (ATAPI)
> > Secondary Master  Kenwood CDROM 52x  (ATAPI)
> > Secondary Slave   8GB                     (will contain SuSE 6.1)

> > My problem is, I boot from CDROM, and when YaST starts,
> > if I look at System Information, YaST does not recognize
> > the second drive, thus I can't install on second drive.

> > Can anyone give me a clue as to what is happening and what I can do?
> > (Could it be that SuSE Linux 6.1 does not like drives as Secondary
> > Slaves?)

> Well, if your BIOS say that you have an HD on the secondary slave, I
> believe that YAST doesn't have any problem to see it on the
> /dev/hdd device. I never had trouble like that.
> Your configuration let me just a bit think. Do you know the
> problem of the 2GB max distance where the kernel has to be on the
> HD? It's an IDE problem and maybe you have to copy your kernel image
> on the win98 HD and then let lilo run and address it.

> edmondo

SuSE setup not recognizing second harddrive

Post by M. Buchenried » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>I have the following hardware:
>Primary Master    8GB                     (contains Win 98)
>Primary Slave     DVD-ROM   (ATAPI)

Not supported.

Quote:>Secondary Master  Kenwood CDROM 52x  (ATAPI)
>Secondary Slave   8GB                     (will contain SuSE 6.1)

..and this is not a good idea, since the CDROM drive will slow
down your HD access speeds.

Quote:>My problem is, I boot from CDROM, and when YaST starts,
>if I look at System Information, YaST does not recognize
>the second drive, thus I can't install on second drive.

[...]

I'd try it without the DVD-drive, or with explicitely telling it to
read /dev/hdd . Note: /dev/hdb does not exist in your setup.

Michael

SuSE setup not recognizing second harddrive

Post by gt.. » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for the tip on CD drives and harddrives being
on the same channel.  It was just setup that way when
I got my computer.  I may play around with it.

Anwyays, I talked to suse support and they told me
to give the configurations during boot time
hda=blah, hdb=blah, hdc=blah hdd=blah

and it worked.  However, I'm bothered by the
startup output.  It states that hdd is 'non-eide' drive.

I'll play around with it more.  Thanks for all
the help.  Guys.

-Godfrey Degamo

> [...]

> >I have the following hardware:
> >Primary Master    8GB                     (contains Win 98)
> >Primary Slave     DVD-ROM   (ATAPI)

> Not supported.

> >Secondary Master  Kenwood CDROM 52x  (ATAPI)
> >Secondary Slave   8GB                     (will contain SuSE 6.1)

> ..and this is not a good idea, since the CDROM drive will slow
> down your HD access speeds.

> >My problem is, I boot from CDROM, and when YaST starts,
> >if I look at System Information, YaST does not recognize
> >the second drive, thus I can't install on second drive.

> [...]

> I'd try it without the DVD-drive, or with explicitely telling it to
> read /dev/hdd . Note: /dev/hdb does not exist in your setup.

> Michael
> --

http://www.muc.de/~mibu

Quote:>           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
>     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Q:slackware setup not recognize my second dos partion on setup,help!

don't know if this is the answer, but ...  From what I remember, you
can't boot to a partition over cylinder 1024 ...  Make sure that the
extended partition is under that ...

l8a.

Theo Van Dinter                          www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/
Vice-President WPI Lens and Lights             Active Member in SocComm Films
Member of WPI ACM                              AME for the Masque C-Term Show

           A project not worth doing at all is not worth doing well.

2. DU9 (102577-04) kills my Adaptec 3940

3. Can't recognise second harddrive

4. MS Code Bloat?

5. Full harddrive capacity not being recognized.

6. Sound card recomendation

7. Second harddrive and Ghostscript setup.

8. apache authentication with one time password?

9. Need to setup linux on second harddrive

10. linux setup can not see my harddrive and cdrom?

11. Suse 7.2, xcdroast, and cdplayer "device not recognized"

12. Half RAM not recognised by SuSe Linux