From a newbie for newbies w/ Modem problems...

Post by psant » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 15:40:26

I am assuming that this applies to MOST modems, but I am talking about
my USB 5687 in partictular....

For those of you who have bought modems that still have the jumper
settings, remember that "out of the box" modems like that are
structured to let Windows decide the com port, etc.  I'm assuming that
most other modems (I haven't had to*with jumper settings since
good ol Win 3.1...) have the same issue.

I was at a loss until I read the documentation on installing on NT,
where it stated that you should set your own com port settings (doc
says com port/IRQ set up as "default" whatever that means)

After changing the jumpers (I specified com port 2), getting rid of
one conflict (via my BIOS), I was actually up and running quickly.

I know there isn't a lot of documentation on some of these modems, but
just remember that 99% of them are used in Windows with PNP, and using
jumpers that may be the root of the problem.

If there is anybody w/ more experience in explaining (or debunking)
what I've said, feel free....

On my USB 5687 (got it at best buy....), it works fine with the com2
setting.

Best of luck....

psantt....

From a newbie for newbies w/ Modem problems...

Post by Kurt Savegnag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

   I wrote a helpfile on the 5687-02 PNP modem a couple of years ago
when I go one for Christmas.  It can be configured using the
pnpdump and isapnp commands after a little editing.  My
old FIC VA-503+ with a 400Mhz K6-2 gets reliable 52k
under Slack.  The 5687-02 has no jumpers and is NOT
a winmodem.

                                Best regards,
                                Kurt Savegnago

> I am assuming that this applies to MOST modems, but I am talking about
> my USB 5687 in partictular....

> For those of you who have bought modems that still have the jumper
> settings, remember that "out of the box" modems like that are
> structured to let Windows decide the com port, etc.  I'm assuming that
> most other modems (I haven't had to*with jumper settings since
> good ol Win 3.1...) have the same issue.

> I was at a loss until I read the documentation on installing on NT,
> where it stated that you should set your own com port settings (doc
> says com port/IRQ set up as "default" whatever that means)

> After changing the jumpers (I specified com port 2), getting rid of
> one conflict (via my BIOS), I was actually up and running quickly.

> I know there isn't a lot of documentation on some of these modems, but
> just remember that 99% of them are used in Windows with PNP, and using
> jumpers that may be the root of the problem.

> If there is anybody w/ more experience in explaining (or debunking)
> what I've said, feel free....

> On my USB 5687 (got it at best buy....), it works fine with the com2
> setting.

> Best of luck....

> psantt....

1. newbies & modems, modems & newbies

i cannot get my Slackware to find my modem.
i've attempted to use minicom to do some configurations but have yet to find
the dialtone and was wondering if there was a better program to run diagnostics
with.
i do not have any manuals but was becoming concerned that this modem might fall
in the dreaded "winmodem" category. here's what it says on the actual modem--->
Gateway 2000   Telepath for Windows
with x2 Technology   made by US Robotics

its a 33000baud and i was a little scared at that "for windows" line.
could anyone tell me a little about this or point me in the right direction?
also if anyone could offer a couple of pointers so i could get this damn thing
running.
Thanx!!

2. "basename" but including the path

3. Newbie newbie newbie

4. PCMCIA support broken with newly-compiled kernel (linux 2.0.27-5 / RHL 4.1)

5. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

6. use of /etc/network

7. newbie: newbie: login problem with Linux Red Hat on IBM A20

8. REGARDING: Solaris 8 x86 install with Mylex extremeRAID 1100

9. Not a newbie, but with a newbie problem (startx fails error 2)

10. Newbie with modem setup problem!

11. Modem problems -- possible newbie question

12. Newbie Audio and modem problems