Cannot Start KDE desktop PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Cannot Start KDE desktop PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Post by zacharia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

     I have a store bought version of Caldera 2.3...went through the install
numerous times...I get a kde screen when i do a test on the video card..get
the console mode and the X11 window.  However when i sign in as any user
(includiong root) i get a blue screen with a "X"n the middle of it and it
stays that way, my hard drive runs and runs...i have let this go for twenty
minutes and the same result. I have also tried redhat 6.0 and 5.2 the boot
floppy tells boot failed.... Is this a hardware, hard drive or what the hell
prob is this
PLEASE HELP
thank you for your time
zachariah

Post by L. Friedma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>      I have a store bought version of Caldera 2.3...went through the install
> numerous times...I get a kde screen when i do a test on the video card..get
> the console mode and the X11 window.  However when i sign in as any user
> (includiong root) i get a blue screen with a "X"n the middle of it and it
> stays that way, my hard drive runs and runs...i have let this go for twenty
> minutes and the same result.

That sounds like a well known bug in 2.3 where your swap partition isn't
being activated.  Go to calderasystems.com and look in their knowledge
base for this common error.

Quote:> I have also tried redhat 6.0 and 5.2 the boot
> floppy tells boot failed.... Is this a hardware, hard drive or what the hell
> prob is this

How should we know, you told us ZERO about your hardware.

-L

Check out the FAQ for alt.os.linux.caldera at
http://members.xoom.com/netllama/COL_FAQ.html

Cannot Start KDE desktop PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Post by ET » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The 'X' is the mouse pointer.  Does it move with the mouse?  If it
doesn't move, the program has probably hung or your mouse isn't setup
correctly.  I've had KDE hang for a variety of reasons.  At least you've
gotten the blue screen to come up. <g>  Try configuring with xf86config
instead of lizardx or XF86Setup.  You do have plenty of RAM and your
swap file is working, right?  Run 'free' from the command line and make
sure your swap is working.  If you get all zeros you have found the
problem.

ET

>      I have a store bought version of Caldera 2.3...went through the install
> numerous times...I get a kde screen when i do a test on the video card..get
> the console mode and the X11 window.  However when i sign in as any user
> (includiong root) i get a blue screen with a "X"n the middle of it and it
> stays that way, my hard drive runs and runs...i have let this go for twenty
> minutes and the same result. I have also tried redhat 6.0 and 5.2 the boot
> floppy tells boot failed.... Is this a hardware, hard drive or what the hell
> prob is this
> PLEASE HELP
> thank you for your time
> zachariah

1. Cannot change from KDE to Gnome desktop...newbie help please...

Hi to all...

I cannot change from the KDE desktop that I was trying out back to the Gnome
desktop that I was originally using.  Each time I use the 'switchdesk'
command..the window comes up OK..but upon restarting it keeps coming back up
with the KDE desktop!  :-(
Any help appriciated..

TIA

Bill

2. Bash HOWTO Please?

3. KDE Desktop problem. Please help.

4. port 80 not responding

5. cannot start kde-3.0.3 -- help!

6. Fix incorrect inode

7. Please help: KDE, Desktops and preferences

8. Lost Root Password

9. Cannot install KDE, please help...

10. KDE cannot find libqti18n.so.3, Please Help

11. Cannot get KDE to run when logged in as root - please help!

12. Cannot start X = Please help

13. PLEASE HELP: Cannot start the 'Software manager' on OpenServer 5.0.2